Flowers! 🌺 🌷 🌸 🌹

First flowering tree of spring spotted!

10 Likes

7 Likes

I’m enjoying watching this. I have discovery plus, but I think you can see it for free on the magnolia app.

5 Likes

Why do some seeds recommend direct sow and others grown inside and transplanted? I have a few that say either one is fine too. I did not pay attention to that last year and just did everything inside which seemed to work ok… I will be doing all flowers no vegetables, but I seem to see more info about veggies online.

1 Like

i think that’s just how they are! some plants don’t like having their roots disturbed, so directly sowing them is better. i have been using these cow pot things to start them inside — they are made of manure and you bury the whole pot and it disintegrates into the soil when it gets wet enough — so it’s kinda the best of both worlds.

i highly recommend the book “cool flowers” and also searching on youtube to see if you can find a flower grower in your zone. i follow northlawn flower farm cause i’m also in zone 6 and i get a lot of great, zone-specific info from her .

2 Likes

Spring! Finally!

10 Likes

I’m also in zone 6! I have some of those little pots that look like cardboard that you plant, maybe I will use those for the ones that prefer direct sown. I’m trying to do a little research this year, instead of just guessing at stuff. :rofl:

Various trillium (trulliums?)

10 Likes

I have Lilliput Rose, Lilliput White and Lilliput Purple Zinnia seeds, all purchased from the same company. One says direct sow and the others say either direct sow or transplant is fine. :rofl:

2 Likes

zinnias are fine to direct sow! you can start them inside if ya want but last year i did some direct and started some inside and the inside plants got bigger but they bloomed at the same time! i think for zinnias, they just like it when it gets hot, and won’t do much until the heat arrives.

1 Like

All of our pink tulips bloomed in unison today :sunny:

15 Likes

Seeds are planted for both annuals and perennials. All fingers crossed that they do well. Because of the perennials taking space on the heat mats I didn’t have room for as many annuals as I wanted so I think I will just do another planting later on.

4 Likes

Does anyone know what these are? They look almost like tulips from the side and the stems look identical to tulip stems!

7 Likes

i think they are a fancy double style of tulip.

5 Likes

Oh cool! :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

I was going to order two packets of seeds but when I looked, the shipping cost was the same for five packets. So you can probably guess what happened. :rofl:

8 Likes

You made the most economical decision. This is a money forum - we support that!

4 Likes

(From the OP). Bleeding Hearts! Wow, my parents had those when I was a kid. I haven’t seen those in probably more than 30 years by now. Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

i got a plot at the community garden in my soon-to-be neighborhood! it’s $40 for the year and i think it’s a 4x10 plot so even though we are moving into a house surrounded by woods, i will be able to grow lots of flower babies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: possibly even more than i can at my current house, because we don’t have a lot of places that are full sun. i’m excited! gonna have sooo many dahilas and zinnias and cosmos and rudbeckia and sweet peas and snappys and all the rest!

oh and my black eyed susan vines finally came up! my friend who is moving into this house after me will be happy, i think.

10 Likes

Congratulations! That’s so awesome. I hope you share pics :slight_smile: I am still struggling to keep my two house plants alive so I am v impressed by green thumbs.

2 Likes