Flowers! 🌺 🌷 🌸 🌹

Spring is coming. Discovered on the south slope today.

10 Likes

Does anyone have Dahlias? I know myself well enough that I wouldn’t actually pull up the tubers every fall, but I love them so much. My boss told me that she has some and just doesn’t pull them and they keep coming back. I’m in zone 6 and what I’ve read is that they tend to be perennial starting in zone 8. I can of course just try some but would rather not waste money if not necessary. Maybe if i plant them against the house where it’s a bit warmer?

Can you ask on a local gardening group for some?

I had mine in a planter. I didn’t store them properly and only had 2 good tubers left to plant the following year in annother planter. Then a squirel dug them up and ate them. The end (of my dahlia experience).

2 Likes

Ha. My squirrels are jerks too.

I know nothing about dahlias or cold weather but I know they do sell potted dahlias here and could bringing pots inside be easier than digging them up?

1 Like

I might try that, thanks!

I need to stop buying flower seeds. I have so many now and not a huge space to plant annuals. I didn’t have enough variety last year so I ~might~ have gone a bit overboard. But it’s all so beautiful that I want everything! :rofl:

2 Likes

relatable!! :rofl: i live in the city. i rent so i cant really dig up the whole yard to garden. so why do i have 10 varieties of sweet peas and 10 more of snapdragons and 10 more of zinnias? the flower beds encroach onto the lawn a bit more each year…

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not the only one! By the way, it’s really all your fault I’m even doing this. I saw the pictures you posted the first year and HAD TO HAVE THEM. :rofl:

I’ve got seeds for 10 different perennials but they go in different areas so I’m not really counting them. I’ve always had a lot of perennials. But I think I have 45 packets of annual seeds now. Today I ordered a couple of foliage type things plus of course I threw a flower packet into the order as well… I already made my annual bed larger last fall, I really don’t want it even bigger.

2 Likes

haha sorry not sorry!!! flowers are always worth it. i hope you are able to grow every last one of them this year! it was so fun seeing your beautiful bouquets last year :heart_eyes:

3 Likes