Annnnddd the final budget challenge of 2019, before we kick off the 20 in 2020 Challenges (there’s 5 to choose from, go pick one!)
Get Your S**t Together December (GYSTember) will run from December 1 to December 31.
The goal for GYSTember (pronnounced JIST-ember) is to clear out those lingering, niggling “adulting” tasks that you’ve been putting off. You must declare them and try to get them done before the end of the year.
Examples of GYSTember tasks:
- Cancel recurring subscriptions that you don’t use
- Calling up your phone or cable company and negotiating a new rate
- Finally set up an IRA and autodeposit
- Move over to a new budgeting or tracking system
- Call your credit card company and move to a no-fee card
- Organize and categorize your stash of yarn or fabric before you rebuy things you don’t need
- Eat down your pantry
- Call your student loan providers and get the paperwork moving for loan rehabilitation, IBR, or PSLF
- Setting up a new 401K savings rate before the new year (perhaps you want to up your amount to do 2020 Challenge: Race to the max!?)
- Fix that problem with escrow that’s been going on for years
- Figure out sinking fund amounts based on previous year averages for categories
- Listing or donating clothes or electronics you’re ready to pass on
- Finally get a “hit by a bus” folder together (find a checklist in A Cat’s Guide to Money)
- Book doctor, dental, or hair appointments for the first half of 2020
- Set up or clear out monthly donations, or maybe even join the OMD Purrsonal Finance Society (cheeky plug there)
- Be creative!
It will have a special forum badge and even a STICKER for people that complete the whole month, that will be cat themed.
- You must establish your own rules about what you are trying to accomplish as your GYST task(s) this month. State them in the first week of the month to get us kicked off.
- Each Sunday (or Monday or the Aussies/Kiwis) you will report how you did on your challenge for the week on this thread . You can report on where you’re at, and what your biggest challenge and victories of the week were. Then, you’ll put your predictions/goals down for the week ahead.
Who This Challenge is For
- Anyone who wants a little public accountability and discussion about their money goals on a weekly basis. If you liked No-Stress November and want to keep it going, here we are!
What do you get out of participating?
- Deep Satisfaction of working on those tasks that hang over your head and not bringing them into a new decade
- A community to support you as you get sh*t done
- A CUTE forum badge for participating in the weekly check-ins
- And if you do all 4 week check-ins, you get a STICKER mailed to you. I have only printed these for this challenge.