All that money you didn't save: opportunity cost

Originally published at: https://www.ohmydollar.com/2020/01/02/all-that-money-you-didnt-save-opportunity-cost/

There’s no video version of this episode, but those will be back! The studio camera broke for a week or two.

A Cat’s Guide To Money – the Oh My Dollar! cat-filled purrsonal finance book, is shipping now and you still have time to get it before the holidays. You can order a copy now for delivery for end-of-year gifts (plus other cute OMD merch) at the Oh My Dollar! Shop.

We’ll continue this discussion on the Oh My Dollar forums, a friendly, nonjudgemental online community about money – come join us, we’re nice! This month we’re doing Get it Done December, and it’s not too late to join and get your final to-do’s done and get a free cat sticker for it!

Email us any financial worries, successes, or health care questions at questions@ohmydollar.com or tweet us at @anomalily or @ohmydollar.

This show is made paw-sible by listeners like you

We absolutely love our Purrsonal Finance Society Members, the folks that generously support Oh My Dollar with $1 or more a month on Patreon – and have made is so we have free, full transcripts for every show. This episode was underwritten by patron Tamsen G Association, Chris Giddings, and Warrior Queen. To learn more about being part of the Purrsonal Finance Society and get cool perks like cat stickers, you can visit ohmydollar.com/support

Other Episodes You Might Find Interesting

2 Likes

Such a great episode! I just want to say, I’ve been juggling opportunity cost quite a bit over the last few months.

I pay $300 in rent living with family right now, but my commute in the mornings is 40 minutes and and in the evenings 70-80 minutes. This has led to greater fuel costs and more money spent on food that I have not prepared at home.

I’m meeting a couple later today about renting a room from them which will potentially double my living cost (rent/utilities) but will only be 10 minutes from work. I would save in fuel, food, time and stress. While the exact dollar savings might not make up for literally doubling my expenses, I think it will be worth it.

4 Likes

Forgot to mention that I’m grossing $36,000 annually, so my $300/mo living expenses is because I have some very specific, large savings goals. Also the internet in my current home is crap. Like not loading web pages crap.

1 Like

I have been there! I don’t love it. I read a lot of books, but after awhile I just wanted to be able to… you know, check the forums or look up directions.

2 Likes

Exactly! I’ve given up streaming for now and gave up videogames a while ago due to a mailroom job causing tendinitis in both wrists and my office job sitting in front of a computer all day.

But STILL. How else am I going to track all my data on web based platforms if not by using the internet??

2 Likes