Covid-19 discussion

I tried to have this conversation with a family member the other day, it did not go well but it’s also how I feel. I wish the government was doing literally anything to help people at all. Being a small biz owner myself I really do get it, but I’ve also seen sooooo many of the brick and mortar businesses I know in all sectors figure out ways to pivot and it’s been incredible to watch them figure out a middle path. I hate that they have to do all of this and essentially choose between their business and public health, but that’s exactly where our government has failed us all. I wish more people could step back and see that.

8 Likes

I agree with all of this. Though I can absolutely understand how, in these times, business owners cannot look past “I am going to lose my business and have to lay off all my staff and we all will become destitute.” It’s a terrifying thought and is going to become reality for so many small businesses.

4 Likes

Word. My relative is positive and wandering around like normal. When someone said something, they were told they were “making a mountain out of a molehill.” I 100% blame our government for making this a political thing instead of a thing that brought us all together as a common enemy. There are no words for the fury I feel.

20 Likes

I am just going to keep posting this ridiculous shit here because Boyfriend is probably tired of me frothing about it:

ETA: also, FUCK, a friend just flew to Florida and is now posting photos of herself with her friends and no one has a mask on and she just had a covid exposure scare herself before this (tested negative repeatedly though).
I cannot watch this shit.

ETA again: ok, time to mute her because SHE IS AT A THEME PARK RIGHT NOW WITH NO MASK ON WTF

8 Likes

I’m really happy that my local positivity rate is back under 10%. I am still wearing an N95 and face shield when working directly with the public.

3 Likes

Question for the masses. Husband has an on site file he has to do next week. He has two options. If he flies, it can be a same-day turnaround. And it’s about a one hour flight each way. Or, he can drive (6 hours each way) but then he has to do a hotel stay and use restrooms en route. Most hotels now have zero contact check in, but obviously there’s the actual stay part. Which would be lower risk do you think? We have masks that are HEPA filtration equivalents (happy masks) and he’ll be freshly shaven (better seal).

5 Likes

I think actually flights with masks, largely because there’s no way to know about the ventilation system in a hotel. Unless he can choose his place and pick one of those lower-level motels with doors to the outside and a single-room heat pump? Then maybe the drive would be safer, if no fun.

3 Likes

I would drive over flying. You have way more control over sharing breathing air in a driving situation. Need to stop to use the rest room and the place looks a bit crowded? Go to the next one. The sheer number of people that will be on the plane and in the airports would make it a no go for me.

The drive he has to make, there’s very few stop options though. So I’m not sure he’d have much of a choice there.

@rural he can choose where but only from a specific list, and they’re all standard hotel chains.

1 Like

My friend who is an NHS nurse and quite young (early 30s) - and not even in the ICU, she’s a nutrition nurse - is getting it tomorrow!

13 Likes

Might be worth looking at the websites for the ones on the list in the location - some of those do vary about the setup. Depends if they go for “business” hotels of the conference variety or are okay with like, a Ramada.

Business hotels. It’s a relatively small place (Spokane WA) but corporate contracted rates, so your classic business travel big names short list.

1 Like

For myself personally, the increased air exchanges on a plane plus me wearing a properly fitted N95 mask and eye protection would make me comfortable on a plane (where else am I going to get guaranteed covid free air mixed with my questionable air, lol). I’ve been through our airport a couple of times including the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and the decrease in people was dramatic enough to make me feel safe flying out of my main terminal.

I’m comfortable with PPE and air exchanges being in rooms with COVID patients though, so I currently have a pretty broad comfort level if PPE/distancing are in use :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I will say that people need to eat and drink when they’re traveling - like they need food, esp since most planes have almost no service - and from travel vlogs I have seen, most people I have seen are only really doing takeout with contactless pickup or it’s extremely distanced takeout/sit at tables in terminals (they have lots of space right now). Folks have to eat at some point when traveling, especially if you’re on a 16 hr flight, and a good 50% of most airport restaurants are shut it seems.

3 Likes

He’s very good with masks thankfully, and not touching stuff (high environmental exposures at work, he doesn’t mess around lol) so I’m confident he will PPE well, whatever he opts for.

We’re somewhat leaning flying, just because that amount of driving on top of a physically demanding job I always worry about him getting in wrecks (my niece rolled her car falling asleep at the wheel, so it’s a Thing for me). So maybe since there isn’t a clear cut answer, I’ll opt for the “home more/baby life help more/less car crash risk”.

14 Likes

That latter bit would be reason enough for me!

3 Likes

I honestly think he should fly but I am not an expert. The flying honestly, especially with such a short flight, seems less risky given the amount of precautions they are doing and his ability to mask.

4 Likes

I think this makes a lot of sense. Husband’s expertise with PPE (and fitted respirator) went a long way toward making me comfortable sending him into a classroom in a major hot spot three days a week. Experience in environmental work makes a real difference…

4 Likes

Yeah turns out if early in your career, one coworker dies of lung cancer in his 40s and one dies of electrocution the same month, you get REAL serious about your PPE and general safety adherence :disappointed_relieved: (he’s in a lower risk industry now thank god but it’s still… not a very low risk job).

He’s flown before during all this, but it’s been a while. With cases spiking so much, just really want to make sure we’re doing the best we can. At least once there he’ll be solo on scene so it’s only the transit he needs to worry about.

(Trying to push out of my mind that he’ll probably have to make similar trips 5-10 times in January though :pensive:)

Eta sorry for the meandering. HI IM BJOY AND I CURRENTLY HAVE DEATH ANXIETY HOW ARE YOU DOING?)

16 Likes

Unrelated: Spokane is the nearest big city to where I grew up. Kid me thought it was the highest city ever. The movie theatre there has multiple screens.

11 Likes