šŸ—’ Clean Slate September: Challenge (Sep 1 - 30)

I know Iā€™m joining late, but my goal is to keep our grocery budget (2 adults) below $250. We have been spending sooooo much (maybe like $5-600/month) since the pandemic started 1.) stocking up and 2.) indulging since we are stressed. Weā€™re pretty much at max capacity for food anyways, so we should start working on it. My husband works at a grocery store, so we will have to minimize those daily little trips.

I know we havenā€™t spent anything on groceries in September yet so I hope Iā€™m allowed to squeak in under the wire here!

6 Likes

So the first day of September I hadnā€™t really started the challenge yet, so I just ate normally. Second day I ate pretty normally but signed up for the challenge and started thinking about it. From there on out Iā€™ve made more conscious choices, adding more whole grains and veggies and fruits to my diet and trying to go lighter on salt and oil.

On Friday I found a food journal app ā€œAteā€ that I think is going to work really well for me. No calorie counting, more about mindfulness. At its simplest you just take a picture of what you eat and indicate whether it is ā€œon pathā€ or ā€œoff pathā€, though you can also select where you ate, who you ate with, why you ate, was it satisfying, etc. Itā€™s not time consuming and doesnā€™t promote a dieting mindset. Iā€™m happy because so far itā€™s almost exactly what I was looking for in a food journal app.

11 Likes

That app sounds awesome!

2 Likes

ok, only 3 meals this week, but I did start midway through. Itā€™s a marker of how habitual this has become. I sit down, eat, finish, and then think, ā€œdamn, I was going to stop eating in front of a screen this monthā€.

6 Likes

Itā€™s Monday here in Australia :slight_smile:I did not meditate on Sunday, otherwise have been going good so far this month.

Will see how I go now Iā€™m back at work from tomorrow

4 Likes

Week 1: went for a walk every day except Thursday but that was the day I had lung with a friend so kind of kept to my goals anyway?

3 Likes

Week 1 check in:

I used sugar scrub for my face twice
I made sure to get walks in close to or exceeding my step count every day - this included stepping away from work to achieve my exercise and not letting work consume the day
I started tracking food on my Fitbit app to help better understand it
I used the fancy hand lotion 3 times
I read in the backyard 2 afternoons

Looking forward to continuing all of the above this week.

7 Likes

Hello

Iā€™m late on this convo but Iā€™d like to join. I have a lot of administrative tasks (hello France) where Iā€™m late so my goal for September is to finalize as much as I can. Here are the urgent tasks:

• The renewal of LGā€™s disability status: Iā€™ve already finished it and just need to scan and send per mail/ email. They have an online application and I have created an account with two different emails but still havenā€™t received the activation link. So my task this week is to send the file per mail and email and to call the customer service for the account creation.

• My nationality application: I have to notarize some documents at my embassy; ask for a new marriage contract, retrieve documents proving that I lived with MG for at least 4 years (hello France with endless paperwork) and then mail it. On the week of sept 14th I want to work on making that file ready.

• Family discount card: I have filed the form several times but never sent it. I have to print all our ids, our tax return, photos of all the kids and a letter from PGā€™s mum. I want to tackle that on the last week of September 21st

• Bonus: The last 3 days of September Iā€™ll pick something else. I donā€™t know yet what.

7 Likes
  • I cleared out the fridge. There were a few science experiments but it wasnā€™t as bad as I expected.
  • Easy snacks were purchased and consumed. My husband did the actual shopping, but I made the list and helped eat snacks.
  • I made the banana bread all by myself!
5 Likes

First week: $0 on groceries! Itā€™s a miracle. I do know we will spend a small amount tomorrow, though, mainly on a few veggies.

6 Likes

First week 3/4, but since it was a short week and thereā€™s ash falling from the sky making the outdoors a not-great place to be, Iā€™m calling it good.

5 Likes

Accomplished for this week, without too much wailing and gnashing of teeth even!

6 Likes

This weekā€™s high was maybe 15? It was my birthday this weekend and I didnā€™t do (Or count) to-doā€™s, so there. This morning I did a big catch up push and the overdue tasks are down to 7. Still got 2 from July hanging around.

6 Likes

Week 1 was a fail because (mumble mumble students wanting to be, you know, taught). First big assignments, yo. But Week 2 is starting off well - got a lot of the non-teaching editing work done. Yes, itā€™s Labor Day. Yes, weā€™re open. Why do you ask? :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Week 1 check in (thanks for all your help, long weekend)
I got a 7.5 mile walk in on Friday. Also consumed approx 60 gram of sugar because I made the mistake of getting chocolate chips that are theoretically for baking but always for snacking. Plus the sugar in a bottle of kombucha.

Saturday, Sunday, and todayā€™s breakfast involved drizzes of honey. A short walk each day that I didnā€™t track.

Todayā€™s breakfast was also mostly chocolate chips, probably at around 60 g again. Took a long-ish walk that I didnā€™t track but was definitely over 3 miles.

No work vending machine yet!
No hikes yet, need to plan.

7 Likes

Just squeaked in with 5 hours this week. Downloaded and installed QGIS (which took forever over WiFi), downloaded a bunch of sample data, went through 9 chapters of the Userā€™s Manual, which is dry as dust and bored me to tears, saw that there was a Training Manual (supposedly enough material for a 5-day course and using actual data as examples) so started doing that instead; almost done with chapter 2 (of 21, though the last 3 are all reference and acknowledgements and stuff).

Contemplating setting up a PostGIS server or QGIS Server with my old desktop machine.

Have not figured out specifically what I hope to get out of this. At minimum something extra to put on the resume, I suppose. Some jobs specifically call out open source, which I have limited useable experience with. The ESRI Empire is vast and far-reaching though, so I donā€™t know how useful it is.

QGIS is fairly slick so far, with a lot of integrated features that were expensive add-ons in ESRI-land, or which were hidden down nested menus or missing altogether (and required scripting to accomplish the same thing). So thatā€™s cool.

Still havenā€™t figured out the portfolio/website issue.

7 Likes

Well I was out of the shower by 630 every day, but did internet before getting ready a few days and didnā€™t eat any breakfast fruit.

This week: Focusing mainly on breakfast fruit. I bought tiny local apples, so I am excited to have them with breakfast!

7 Likes

Did my meditation and ritual for the first week.

I need to find some good verses for discursive meditation. Time to go find some good nature essaysā€¦

5 Likes

Success for week 1! Did 15 minutes of gentle exercise each day. Most of it was just going for short strolls. This week we bring it up to 20 minutes.

4 Likes

I did a CPE hour on Saturday night AND I recorded it on the tracker thing for work!

5 Likes