Challenge: Put out the Dumpster Fire December šŸ§ÆšŸ”„šŸ—“

My husband and I got this done in August. It feels so good! I ordered a fireproof document bag because we didnā€™t want to shell out for the fireproof safe yet. Iā€™m interested to hear which template you use for the binder. There are soo many. I can review the one we used if youā€™re interested.

3 Likes

Okay! Iā€™m in! These pesky tasks have been on my to-do list for waaaay too long. Iā€™m tired of seeing them. Itā€™s a long list but Iā€™m going for it.

End of Year To-Do List:

• Backyard trees removed
  • Call plumber about front hose connection
  • Call about retirement savings from previous employer
  • Shred pile of papers (I know itā€™s so easyā€¦ why is it still there?)
  • Take Dance Mag Photo
  • Season cast iron skillets
  • fix phone screen
  • back up phone and organize photos
  • organize 2014 photos
  • Make those three health appointments
  • Fix A/C runoff
  • Take down play house from previous owners (put this off for 4 years?!)
  • Take photos of pedals to sell on reverb
5 Likes

Itā€™s been hanging over my head all year like the Ghost of Christmas Future - wills and advanced healthcare directives. Bonus, getting this done will get me a 2020 Bingo under the wire.

Maybe more goals to come?

9 Likes

Iā€™m already getting a jump on this and called and left a message with my doctor to make an appointment.

9 Likes
  • Finish painting the house
  • Call gutter guy to actually get the work done (contingent on how quick we finish painting the house)
  • Figure out photos for photo year book thing (I donā€™t need to order it, just at least get it planned)
  • Figure out how to get money from Raise to Paypal or some such. Or just buy myself a damn gift card of some sort.
  • Knife sharpening?

This seems like a lot for four weeks.

Just because I was looking back at my original goals at the beginning of the year, hereā€™s things I had wanted to get done this year that, just, no:

• Redo the master bathroom (augh, people!)
  • Enroll Kiddo in some sort of martial arts (augh, people!)
4 Likes

OK, looking at the multitude of incomplete items on my Bingo card for inspiration:
-Finish knitting the never-ending scarf that I have been working on since the beginning of time
-Read 22 books (to bring my yearly total to 75)
-Use up 3 lotions that have been languishing for, um, at least 2 yearsā€¦

Bingo goal that I am releasing into the ether:
-Edit one book of [Latin project for former boss]. I justā€¦donā€™t wanna, haha

Regardless, I think thatā€™ll fill up the month plenty, lol

9 Likes

My December goal is to collate all the tasks I said Iā€™d do this year and make a master list. Then I need to spend time turning those into checklists and seeing myself up to Get Shit Done in January & February, for maternity leave in March, and roughly planning our leave throughout 2021. Next year needs a lot of planning.

8 Likes

My :fire::fire::fire::

1. Clean up luggage-mess area in front of the closet thatā€™s been sitting there forever.
  2. Mail out the packages Iā€™ve been sitting on.
  3. Finish reading the 6 books I need to read to hit my goal of 52 for the year.
  4. Get gift knitting projects off my plate.
  5. Make profiteroles and eclairs a few times as choux practice.

If I do the above, Iā€™ll hit a bingo on my card!

Things Iā€™m giving up on:

1. Finishing the big non-gift afghan.
  2. Starting a worm bin.
  3. Planting a tree.
  4. Meeting reading goal for natural history & ecology.

Those goals can carry on over in 2021. :wink:

10 Likes

Omg Panda! 22 books!

1 Like

I mean, I didnā€™t say how long or difficult they had to beā€¦:grimacing: :sweat_smile: :grin:

3 Likes

Legit, Iā€™m definitely including some poetry chapbooks in my to-read list. :3

3 Likes

My bar is low enough on books this year that, if I started a book and made a good faith effort on it, it counts. Regardless of how far I got or if I finished lol.

10 Likes

Hey, that totally makes sense to me! And I fully acknowledge thereā€™s no way Iā€™d be reading like any books if I was also caring for a tiny human and doggo :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Itā€™s better now! Now that we have a house and she has a bedroom and a bedtime, Iā€™m able to read before bed again. So most of my books have been in the last couple months. Still tired enough every night though that I donā€™t move through them very quickly. Hence loans expiring from the library and stopping early on several books!

6 Likes

I feel like I should try and do my missing bingo things, so this may be revised but some bingo items canā€™t really be done and also my December is already busy so the list isnā€™t too long

• declutter wardrobe
  • try to get approval for flexible work roster. Currently I am unhappy with my work roster, so hopefully I can get approval to change it.

Editing to add two more

• call bank to try and reduce interest rate on mortgage (havent done this since last rate cut)
  • 17 more vegetarian days - to get me to 100 for the year
6 Likes

All right, trying to sort through what should be on this list.

• Finish painting that damn green room. Iā€™m down to edging and just need to get it done.
  • Fix wall around wall cabinetā€¦again Iā€™ve got the supplies and the sander is actually sitting right next to the cabinet, I just keep avoiding it.
  • Sell dollhouse and clock fixed up in Nov. challenge.
  • Clean up junk room, donate stuff thatā€™s been sitting in tubs to be donated for years and organize the rest.
  • Have yearly argument with cable (internet) provider to keep charges low for another year.
  • Get recalled airbags fixed in car.
5 Likes

Mine are:

• Start a will (should also give me a bingo!)
  • Finish decluttering garage
  • Set up balcony for summer
  • List vintage wedding gowns on fb marketplace
  • Read 7 more books to hit 52

Even if I just make a start and some progress in counting it. These have been dragging for even longer than 2020.

10 Likes

What a wonderful challenge!! Thanks @anomalily. I know that at least one fire needs to go by the end of the year: nationality application. Apart that I just have to chose which ones I need to tackle on. Iā€™ll be back later to give details after I take some time to sort through the ideas in my head and read everyoneā€™s challenge to get inspired.

7 Likes

I said Iā€™d drop back in here after I made my list. Ha. Instead my challenge for December is:

1. Find all the task lists, to-do lists and project management Iā€™ve attempted this year
  2. Dump them all into one spot and make a master list. Pick ONE place for this list to live.

All old lists will be added to the fire to keep it going. I found 3 lists today. They are burning nicely.

16 Likes

Oh, yes, I need this challenge.

• cancel credit card to avoid annual fee
  • cancel streaming service before the monthly rate increases
  • update income/spending tracker for November
  • round out charitable giving for the year (Hey, itā€™s Giving Tuesday today! I should do this first.)
  • list at least 5 things on Buy Nothing
  • finish dumpster fire crochet project
  • write annual letter
  • research and write paper for school
  • finish spice cabinet project

Bonus items (want to get one of the following done):

• purchase and install new garbage disposal
  • clean out pantry
  • organize craft/storage room (imagine @TrisPriorā€™s closet, but a whole room)
8 Likes