Challenge: Put out the Dumpster Fire December šŸ§ÆšŸ”„šŸ—“

I think we all have this kind of disaster in some closetā€¦

2 Likes

This challenge is perfect for this year.

• Roth IRA conversion so I hit my projected income estimates that didnā€™t happen due to not working much of the year.

• Replace my tablet. Usually I wait until my device goes completely dead, buy something in a hurry, and accept thereā€™s documents or photos Iā€™m never going to see again. Last time I lost a whole bunch of contacts. Thanks to Google backups I shouldnā€™t lose so much data, but itā€™d be nice to retire a device before itā€™s completely failed and thereā€™s no way to get data off of it.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve never had it get quite THIS bad though.
Part of the problem is that I have to keep all my WFH equipment in here so that the cats donā€™t chew on the expensive company provided equipment that is not mine. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes
  1. Cancel Capital One Venture card, since I donā€™t remember the month I got it and donā€™t want to pay an annual fee. Make sure to redeem all points left first. When cancelling see if they will waive the annual fee again- then can keep card.
  2. Take the consignment box that has been piling up in the mudroom. If too lazy to make a consignment appt, donate to goodwill.
  3. Redeem bottle deposit cans at Walmart. Pester husband about Hyvee cans and try to convince him to stop buying cans there. (We have can bins for Walmart, Hyvee, Costco, and Aldi. Itā€™s ridiculous.)
  4. Commit an hour a week to cleaning craft room. Try to get rid of things.
5 Likes

Are these a particular type of can that can only be returned to the store where they were purchased? Just curious.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in to celebrate the end of this dumpster fire of a year. Goodbye, 2020! My goals/projects:

1. Pay off mortgage! This will happen automatically on Dec. 1, but I need to follow up and see what documents have to be shared with what offices.

2. Paint (at least some of the) trim and doors in my house. Iā€™ve been putting this off since the doors and trim were replaced three years ago. August, 2017 to be exact.

3. Minimize grocery spending by eating from pantry and freezer. This has the bonus of avoiding stores during high Covid times.

4. Do my PT exercises everyday so I enter 2021 in better shape than I started 2020.

12 Likes

Technically all cans are supposed to be redeemed where purchased.

But the machines that take them only take the SKUs the store sells.
So I drink ā€œSamā€™s Colaā€ and that has to go back to Walmart.
My husband likes the Tonic that Hy-vee sells, so that has to go back to Hyvee.

But if itā€™s something like Coca-Cola, it could really go anywhere. I usually put those in the Aldi bin, because they make returns the easiest (you just dump the bag and tell them the number- as opposed to the bins that have to scan the barcode and are super tempermental, that every other store uses.)

I HATE HATE HATE can returns, btw.
I do not understand why the bottle bill exists once curbside recycling became a thing.I had given up drinking soda specifically to not have to deal with cans, but then, pandemic, and now I drink 2 a day, something I never did before. (Hence, Samā€™s Cola, for budget.)

5 Likes

Iā€™m on the fence and need encouragement.

Vanity, health, food, weight

The Christmas gift I want to give to myself is a body I feel okay being in. (Have done this previous years, itā€™s nice to not spend the holidays thinking ā€œmy new yearā€™s resolution is to lose weightā€.)

This is extra complicated by the pandemic. Psychological reasons, practical reasons. Not going to list them all.

I think my weekly list for December looks like:

• leave home 6/7 days a week (means I walk somewhere)
  • strength-building workout once a week
  • limit 3 standard alcoholic drinks a week
  • limit 3 treats a week
  • 7 hours of sleep 4/7 nights a week

General intentions to avoid a lot of processed food, excessively large portions. Dec 24, 25, 26, 31 are more relaxed days, as are any overnights I am solo-parenting (there will be 1-2 when DH ā€œhousesitsā€ for a friend so he can have time alone).

If I do all that Iā€™ll be less bloated and more toned, which is what Iā€™m hoping to achieve under current conditions. I mean, my ultimate goal is to survive 2020, but Iā€™m willing to be a little more ambitious.

What constitutes reasonable success? Fulfilling 4/5 every week? They seem like simple things but none of them are easy for me, which is why Iā€™m considering this challenge.

9 Likes

I was thinking of getting a sign-up reward card for the property taxes, and Iā€™d need to get on that asap. But thatā€™s one more thing to try to remember after, and I think Iā€™m just out of any oomph at all. Itā€™s all just too much, and so I may justā€¦ not. It looks like weā€™ll both live through the year, probably. I think thatā€™s my goal, and itā€™s enough.

8 Likes

I had pretty much given up on my 2020 Bingo, but I realized the other day that I can get a diagonal bingo if I get life insurance, so thatā€™s my big goal for the month! Here are my goals:

• Check all my credit cards, find out which ones have annual fees and when they are due, and make a note of which ones I need to cancel when (I just got burned by one this month, ugh).
  • Cancel Apple TV+ before it renews, same for Duolingo + free trial.
  • Give away or sell a load of clothes ā€” I donā€™t have to go through everything, but at least need to get rid of a full bag and actually get it out of the house.
  • Increase my HSA contribution ā€” doesnā€™t have to be by a lot.
  • Make real progress on hit by a bus folder ā€” I donā€™t have to finish it, but I need to make a meaningful start.

Stretch goal:

• be able to do a pull up (I originally had 3 pull-ups on my Bingo card, and now 1 is still a stretch goal :sweat_smile:)

Edit to add things Iā€™m giving up ā€” basically Bingo items that are impossible now or that Iā€™ve decided not to prioritize at this time:

• make a will
  • run the trail race series I was planning to run that pretty much got cancelled
  • run a sub 6-minute mile
6 Likes

Iā€™ve actually stayed on top of quite a lot this year. Priority #1 this year was have baby. Priority #2 was keep baby alive.

I do have some things I would like to do by the end of the year though:

• Close business checking
  • Set up automatic transfer to Ally online savings
  • Contribute to tIRA
  • Finish baby proofing - move under the sink chemicals, put locks on kitchen cabinets, finish the babyā€™s room
  • Put away the larger size baby clothes.
  • Clean out garage from the last (and final!) trip from storage.
  • Sell extra fridge
  • Actually put up Christmas tree & decorations
7 Likes

:calendar:2020 Dumpster Fire Goals :fire:

This is LONG as fuck, but many of these are things I do regardless.

Paperwork :card_index_dividers::card_file_box::postbox:(7 hours)

• Apply to graduate school (5.5 hours)
  • Send in for birth certificate (30 minutes)
  • Get enrolled in 2021 Health Insurance (1 hour)

OMD admin :moneybag:(9 hours)

• HIRE AN EDITOR FOR 2021! (2 hours)
  • 2021 editorial calendar through March (3 hours)
  • Mail out 20 in 2020 + November challenge stickers (2 hours)
  • Forms for end of year patron mailing (30 minutes)
  • Set up 21 in 2021 challenges (1.5 hours)
  • Shipping all holiday stuff

Health :weight_lifting_man:t3:ā€ā™€:hospital:

• 100 minutes of cardio a week
  • Get labs done (1 hour)
  • Get non-enbrel scrip refills
  • Stretch average of 100 minutes a week

Admin stuff I do not like :no_good_woman:t2:(3 hours)

• Move off Sonix, convert old transcripts (3 hours)

Content :fountain_pen::video_camera: (31.5 Hours)

• START 2021 report (3 hours)
  • 4 episodes of OMD (10 hours)
  • Post money diaries (1.5 hours)
  • 4 livestreams (6 hours)
  • 1 youtube video (!!!) before December 25th (14th anniversary of channel) (7 hours)
  • Post 2021 goals (1 hour)
  • Post 2020 goals review (1 hour)
  • Post 2020 budget sum up (1 hour)
  • Post November monthly report (1 hour)

Goals to extingush guilt free :fire_extinguisher::fire_engine:

• all skating related goals
  • 20 youtube videos this year (lol)
12 Likes

Iā€™m in! Goals:

• Finish sewing the patches onto my coatā€“I really need to get this done soon, before it gets really cold out! (note: definition of ā€œreally coldā€ may vary)
  • Tackle the mending pile and mend (or alter) 3 things
  • Eat down the pantry: donā€™t buy any pantry staples that are primarily for me, such as dried beans/lentils, whole wheat pasta, farro, quinoa; I really ought to make pizza since I bought that 000 flour months ago and still havenā€™t used it!

Stretch goals:

• Mend or alter all the things in the mending pileā€“I think there are 5 things now
  • Finish (including weaving in all ends, sewing on buttons, and blocking) the cardigan I am knitting
7 Likes

Oh! Iā€™ve got another one. Fill out my sales and expenses spreadsheets for my little handmade jewelry business. Iā€™ve done an OKAYISH job of logging sales, but I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve even started tallying expenses. Not that I had that many this year due to not vending any events. Anything I spent is just sitting in my email inbox as a marked-unread email. (I KNOW!!! :frowning: )

Still, I want to have all my tax shit ready to go at yearā€™s end. Most years I log things as they happen. This year Iā€¦ did not.

5 Likes

Ohhhhhh I should try to get a BINGO too, I think I was pretty close. Need to make a list based on thatā€¦

UPDATE:

To get a BINGO I need to sew a bra. So, my goal is to full out my BINGO card, and I reserve the right to trash any of the other tasks (which is probably most of them). But I hope to sew a bra and get a BINGO.

Might add more later, related to possibly moving, and or job search.

7 Likes

I got a jump on this today and delightfully and unexpectedly realized that my inspection and registration arenā€™t due til August! No idea why the first time was 1.5 years instead of one but Iā€™m very happy about it.

Although I also remembered that I need to fix the toilet. One task down, one task added.

4 Likes

I have a few things!

• get the pile of donations logged and donated
  • get the ā€˜to sellā€™ pile photographed
  • re-redo the living room floor to fix the spot where the floorboards pulled apart.
4 Likes

I hoped to finish the lower floor yesterday but that didnā€™t happen. To stay on track I need to get done by the end of the week.

The plan for that is:
Today: Pull up the rest of the tacks, lay & cut underlayment.
Tue-Thur: do 1/4 of the remaining space ā€“ I would estimate about 2 rows per day.

I also need to make time to pick up the nosing I need from the flooring place. Can probably make that happen today. Would like to install that downstairs before I start on the hallway so I know if thereā€™s anything I need to do differently.

3 Likes

I think Iā€™ll do this challenge! I could use a kick in the booty.

December Goals

1. Partner and I need to make either a proper set of wills or at the very least a ā€œif I die hereā€™s what to doā€ binder for each other.
  2. Take at least one car load of junk to donate-- our house is getting cluttered. :frowning:
  3. Get my retirement money into my IRA and out of Old Jobā€™s hands.

My personal rules for this shiz:

1. It just needs to get done by the end of December.
10 Likes

I misread this as ā€œTake at least one car to junker - our house is getting clutteredā€ and was wondering how many cars you had and why they were inside the house. Maybe more coffee is in order ā€¦

8 Likes