Challenge: Put out the Dumpster Fire December šŸ§ÆšŸ”„šŸ—“

Week 3? Update:
Iā€™ve been refining the house project list. One quick win is that I decided the finishes in the bathroom do not need to be changed. The reason this matters is we have a badly rusted light fixture, so I didnā€™t want to buy a new one in the same finish as the current one if we are deciding to change out other fixtures to a different finish. Amazingly, once I made that decision, we quickly agreed on an actual light fixture and purchased it!

Iā€™ve also dreamed up ideas to solve annoyances about the house (lack of closets) but ultimately decided that the trade-offs (taking space from adjacent rooms to add actual closets) would alter the character of other rooms we like in ways that are not acceptable to either of us. Now I can move on and focus on in-room storage solutions that donā€™t require any remodeling whatsoever.

4 Likes

[quote=ā€œCandygirl, post:136, topic:2722ā€]

Wellā€¦now that we are heading into lockdown I wonā€™t be able to do my donation stuff. I wonā€™t be able to drop off my ticket stubs until the end of January if things open up by then. But I can still get them sorted and organized.

I have been reading a lot this month which is using up time.

1 Like

In traditional late Panda fashion (is it traditional if Iā€™m just lazy? whatevs), a summary for Week 3:
-Scarf knitting: I LITERALLY HAVE ONE INCH LEFT DO THE THING PANDA
-Use up 3 lotions: one has bit the dust! 2 left.
-Read 7 books: at 3/7. Not sharing the page count, neener neener

4 Likes

Check in:

• Took dog food to the pet food pantry
  • Put dog crate in the basement

Those were particularly emotionally fraught things, so Iā€™m really proud of myself for getting them done.

9 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart:

2 Likes

Those are hard things. Good job getting them done.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll share my page counts if you share yours :wink:

jk but just gonna say, there were some Dover Thrift poetry editions in my 7 books.

3 Likes

Took many boxes to Goodwill today. Planning to do another visit to the storage unit tomorrow (itā€™s only about 3/4 of a mile from the end of our driveway, literally the closest commercial structure to our home). That might get us finished.

Noticed someone else busy cleaning out a storage unit today as we were coming back from the Goodwill. I bet the not-so-new owner* sent the same letter to everybody that was left renting from the previous owner, and I bet he loses all of them. That may have been a miscalculation on his part with a pandemic and high levels of unemployment in the area.

*We actually looked into buying the place when it went up for sale, but the numbers on the business just didnā€™t pencil out. Bet heā€™s having trouble.

5 Likes

Tried to buy those etfs today, but was greedy, and offered too low. On the plus side, the shadowy one picked up 3x the amount at only a cent off the dayā€™s low

5 Likes
  • Call gutter guy to actually get the work done (contingent on how quick we finish painting the house) - contacted them again. Should contact a second company just in case but uuugh. Donā€™t wanna.
  • Figure out photos for photo year book thing (I donā€™t need to order it, just at least get it planned) - no progress made
    :white_check_mark: Figure out how to get money from Raise to Paypal or some such. Or just buy myself a damn gift card of some sort. - DID THE THING. Only took like ten frickin minutes. Why have I been putting this off so long?
2 Likes

When we lived in a old house the kids bedrooms didnā€™t have closets. We just bought wardrobes for their rooms and problem solved.

1 Like

My winter gear organization is now all sorted out! Or at least for now. Iā€™m hoping to find a mirror with hooks eventually, preferably from a thrift store, but Iā€™m going to hold off on buying anything until I feel comfortable shopping in stores again.

I should also set up a system for mail other than dumping it on the landing of the stairs, but that wasnā€™t part of my goals for this challenge.

5 Likes

We are probably not going to have built-in closets in most of our bedrooms after our remodel for this reason - plus we can then put the storage in the room that makes sense for how weā€™re using it and the best layout for other furniture, as that will probably change over time.

2 Likes

They pulled down the application for the job I was going to apply to, and I was kind of bummed, but almostā€¦ relieved?

Because I cannot apply to that particular job, my replacement goal is to get my ā€œmaster resumeā€ (which has everything Iā€™ve done and then I cut non-relevant things for whatever job Iā€™m applying to) back up to date so that if something comes along I do really want, the big hurdle of ā€œoh but I gotta do my resumeā€ is done.

7 Likes

I dont know if I will get to the declutter one, may need to go on 2021 Bingo

2 Likes

Week 3: I am the dumpster fire.

:sparkles: waves wand :sparkles:

19 Likes

This is the most relatable thing Iā€™ve read in the last week.

5 Likes

I made you a meme :heart::fire::fire::fire:

8 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

I am too. Did nothing week 3. So much other stress-y things.

(So I guess thatā€™s my update.)

5 Likes