šŸŽƒ Budgetober Challenge 22: Stickers ShippingšŸ¦‡ Fill in Form

Iā€™m issuing a challenge: Budgetober, which will run from October 1 - October 31.

The goal for budgetober is set and stick to your budget for the month of October. Itā€™s also vaguely halloween themed. Also it has special forum badges and even a STICKER SHEET for people that complete the whole month.

The sticker was designed by aliasxahna and itā€™s adorable as usual. Here is last yearā€™s

Basic rules:

1. You must establish a budget, a way to track it, and target amounts for the budget.
  2. Your categories can be as broad as you like, or as specific as you want. You can even just choose a single amount for the month, You can also track + limit one category if you prefer (i.e. grocery spending, restaurants, or stationary splurges.)
  3. Youā€™re allowed one week where you wave a magic wand and ā€œre-castā€ your budget . This means if you go off the rails in a category, or something big comes up, you can set a new budget for the month. Donā€™t get discouraged just because you have an off week! Jump back on the budgeting haywagon! (I told you this was halloween themed).
  4. Each Saturday you use this thread to report how you did on your budget for the week. You can report on where youā€™re at, and what your biggest challenge and victories of the week were. Then, youā€™ll put your predictions/goals down for the budget week ahead.

Who This Challenge is For

• Maybe youā€™re already great at sticking to your budget , but you want to try out adjustments to your categories or a low-spend month.
  • Maybe you donā€™t currently do a budget , but feel like maybe your expenses are creeping up and want to use October as a chance to do a check-in and see how you are doing.
  • Maybe you have a pandemic paycut or furlough and need to live on less money for awhile.
  • Maybe you have a new normal - new job, new family member, new location and need to figure out your new baseline.
  • Maybe youā€™ve been spending a bit too much on take-away orders or planners , and want to dial it back a bit. One months seems doable!
  • Maybe youā€™re tired of ā€œcleaning upā€ categories the last week of the month - i.e. moving money from a too-full grocery budget into an overspent takeaway category. So the goal here is to change behavior or reset categories to more realistic amounts.
  • Maybe youā€™ve never budgeted before but it feels overwhelming to start. Perhaps one week at a time, for only a month, seems achievable! You donā€™t have to do it forever, just for October.

What do you get out of participating?

• Deep Satisfaction of trying to stick to a budget this October
  • Community support for whatever your budget goals are for October!
  • Budgetober success shout outs on the podcast
  • A weekly CUTE halloween-themed forum badge for participating in the weekly check-in
  • And if you do all 4 week check-ins, you get a STICKER mailed to you. Itā€™s halloween, cat, and budget themed. I will mail these anywhere in the world.

If youā€™re in to participate (or on the fence and need encouragement), comment below with what youā€™re hoping to get out of Budgetober and your favorite thing about the halloween season.

Resource List for Budgeting

13 Likes

I am commenting to say I am participating! My goal for Budgetober is to do an in-depth tracking of my grocery spending this month, as it has gone up so much via inflation. Hereā€™s what I used as a template last time:

I also want to do a review of my wardrobe and update the price charts for my wardrobe.

7 Likes

I never succeed at these but I must have that sticker.

My goal is to write down as many purchases as possible and tabulate the regular spending and other expenses that come out of my account. My goal is to determine how many actual hours I need to work to be making progress on my debts and keeping up with my expenses.

8 Likes

Iā€™m on the fence about it. I usually do the Budgetober, and I like it, but damn things are busy this semester. Going to think about it for a bit.

7 Likes

I am in! This year for some reason I got out of the habit of monthly budget review so I want to get back in the habit.

Goals for October:
*get the spreadsheet up to date - I think the last month I reconciled was March to April.
*track food/grocery expenses weekly
*update the spreadsheet at the end of October and reassess category numbers
*bonus goal, try not to freak out at how inflation may have affected the yearly budget :grimacing:

6 Likes

You can always do a really scaled down version - track one expense, or something else. Doesnā€™t have to be a huge production.

4 Likes

I am in. I need to focus more on things that are in my control. I feel like weā€™re pretty good and autopilot. But when I look up at the big picture, it starts to feel more hopeless.

Maybe heads-down, hereā€™s what I can do to improve my numbers, is what I need right now.

And my favorite thing is the fall weather, so nice and crisp. Also you never know, summer can come back, or maybe snow. Itā€™s a real smorgasbord.

3 Likes

Budgetober: a time honored tradition.

Iā€™m relying heavily on my phones autocorrect here, I will be back to set goals when Iā€™m in a better state to do so, however: Iā€™m in.

10 Likes

I want to do this but need to think of realistic parameters because I will probably [screaming internally] give birth this month. WTF

12 Likes

Budget goal: produce offspring?

9 Likes

Yes yes yes. Next month marks adding a nearly $600/mon car payment :exploding_head: that plus everything else and prepping for Husband to I guess technically become self employed? Yeahhhh need to decide on what aspects/how, Iā€™m in for this.

4 Likes

Honestly, decent budget-adjacent goals then might be things around making sure that you keep track of hospital bills, stuff gets paid, youā€™re able to keep a running tally of expenses if youā€™re interested in that or need it for tax deductions or anything.:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yes!! This is very true. I will need a system that can be sort of autopilot while I keep myself and a new being alive!!

5 Likes

HOPEFULLY you have an incredibly uncomplicated birth. But I had so many providers and units to track bills from it was very hard for The Brain. :grimacing: a system helped for sure.

5 Likes

I should do thisā€¦ just had a kid. Probably just focus on that line item, because medical billing from the birth will be a mystery, and i donā€™t usually purchase the groceries.

6 Likes

I Want Forum Badges Out of Budgetober

also the only current thing I use for budgeting is Fortune City which is just not sustainable. Iā€™d like to use YNAB but itā€™s way too expensive for me now so IDK what I will do about it instead.

7 Likes

Have you tried Simplifi? It costs money but much less than YNAB and it has fun badges and stuff. I am liking it testing it out.

7 Likes

One thing I realized I do that I maybe want to actually track

You know how people save money on something, so they mentally think oh I saved x so I can buy something worth x

And then spend that x multiple times over?

I do that with extra hours worked, I think. I mean I presume I do. So I think I need to make a page in my paper journal extra hours work and then actively mark down when I spend on fun stuff outside my allotted budget. Like, worked an hour extra, but then bought a video game with that hour. Basically visually see what my extra time is turning into and make sure Iā€™m not repeatedly spending each extra hour.

14 Likes

I am going to make a budget for my business. This should prompt me to put together the tax receipts for this FY so far, and for last FY. I need to work out what I am supposed to buy this month; I will post it here before the start of Budgetober!

8 Likes

I need to talk to DH, but maybe a limited/no potato chip/crunchy snack October is needed. Inflation has hit junk food, too, and itā€™s appalling how much more it costs these days.

10 Likes