šŸŽƒ Budgetober Challenge 22: Stickers ShippingšŸ¦‡ Fill in Form

I might do this, depending on how much energy I can muster to start :grimacing:

I am not particularly concerned about our grocery/food spend as we are fine money wise at the end of each month but Iā€™m very curious what inflation has done to it. I also dropped the ball on meal planning and ordering grocery deliveries and it feels to me like we go to the supermarket every day at the moment and spend $50+ each time. That seems like a lot!

7 Likes

oh!! it has a 30-day free trial that I have not yet done!!

THIS BUDGETOBER:
-I want to try out Simplifi
-I want to budget specifically for Fancy Little Drinks and At School spending. I feel like I am doing way too much of it and also feel a little out of control about it. So letā€™s figure it out!!
-I Want All ThƩ Forum Badges (and stickers)

11 Likes

Stickers stickers stickers!

Hm, I will figure out what to do for October. I already track, though my categories have become a little loose lately because I feel like I canā€™t be bothered and with inflation what does it matter anyway if the categories are a little mixed up. :rofl: I have some semi-known big expenses in October (catā€™s dental for example - I donā€™t know what the final damage will be, but it will be a lot, probably the first propane delivery of the season, etcā€¦), which I will exclude from the analysis. I mean, I will track them, but it wonā€™t be a failure if I spend 150% of normal this month.

7 Likes

My budget for out to eat and groceries is a dirty lie. My credit card balance has gone up significantly since January. I really need to get this shit under control but I donā€™t see a way to do so until my car is paid off, the perkins loan is forgiven, and I get that $6,000 refund and then forgiveness on it.

9 Likes

I am also in because STICKER. I already track all my spending, so I need to decide what my numerical goals are and actually figure out how to stick to a budget?? Iā€™m apparently not very good at that partā€¦(see: me ā€œfailingā€ literally every budget challenge on this forum lol)

6 Likes

I want you all to know that I bought halloween cat washi tape 9 months ago and I have been WAITING for budgetober so I can send out envelopes with it.

21 Likes

Iā€™m totally stealing this, tracking and managing the lifestyle stuff connected with the anticipated money coming in. Keeping myself honest and not double spending or thinking Iā€™m saving when actually itā€™s just supporting ā€˜one time spendsā€™ through cashflow.

4 Likes

Heck yes Iā€™m in. Want to spend more thoughtful time thinking about my budget for the ENTIRE month and really stick to the extra bucks I want to put toward debt, while being realistic about what I DO spend. As is Iā€™m set to be out of debt by Feb 2025, but Iā€™d actually rather it be this time next year!!

5 Likes

I love this. I feel like I need a real system for ā€œI want to buy this but donā€™t have the budget right now so will prioritize it for next check/monthā€. I kinda just add notes to my YNAB, sometimes in categories and sometimes in the actual notes??

4 Likes

Iā€™m in. I donā€™t know what Iā€™m tracking but Iā€™m in. Weā€™ve spent so much money this money that maybe October should be a no spend extra spending except for two socializing things and a birthday present for my brother.

3 Likes

:raising_hand_woman: :raising_hand_woman: :raising_hand_woman:
Hi yes all of those

Goals:
*Figure out an efficient system to track spending when 90% of it is in cash
*Actually track how much we spend this month
*Partner gets paid most of his new salary in USD and part (1/4 or 1/3, I forget) in Egyptian pounds each month, so see if itā€™s realistic to set a goal of living off just what he makes in pounds. Weā€™ve been told a lot of folks in this job manage to, but thatā€™s just for them and not for a couple

10 Likes

Okay, in. I have no clue what groceries are costing us a month these days, so tracing that is first. Food for people and animals is ā€œgroceries.ā€

Will also track fuel purchases, and, bonus points if I have time, figure out if itā€™s better for us to drive my diesel with much better mpg but much pricier fuel or to drive the truck or the wrangler (gasoline) to work.

Finally will figure out if, as I suspect, we need to put a little less into retirement accounts . Or at least see if we spend more than we bring home in October as we did in September. I think fuel costs are getting us now that weā€™re driving in every day.

8 Likes

Also in, also for groceries (although Iā€™m going to lump in groceries and food in general). Will figure out other details when Iā€™m back at home.

7 Likes

Iā€™m in!

I think I want to track how many recurring expenses I can reduce or eliminate (monthly subscription type things).

I also want to track what I spend on donations and buying things for a mutual aid group (not necessarily with the goal of reducing that, but in being more mindful about what I purchase and maybe looking into ways of getting more things for free)

Trying to think how I want to quantify this but my partner is having a lot of anxiety right now especially around finances and having a lot of trouble spending any money at all on himself. So I want to either convince him to spend some money on himself or convince him to let me spend some money on him. Probably this will be around a shared activity we both love but that heā€™s been not doing because of the expense. Iā€™m thinking in the range of $40-60 here, so 2-3 times of doing the thing.

Will update tomorrow if goals shift after thinking on it!

8 Likes

OK Iā€™m at $44/month regular expenses and $32/m for the annual stuff (which Iā€™m not sure if all of it has to be paid every year). I want to pay for some business development/ marketing help ($750?) and get some cards and wrapping paper printed. So thats next for getting prices! Need to check shipping costs for me to send stuff out too.

5 Likes

Okay, I spoke to DH, have agreement in principle, have weighed the financial inadvisability of spending a lot on junk food vs. its value for emotional coping.

In October I/we can buy one bag of chips/chip substitutes to share between us. It will probably be a family-sized 900g bag but itā€™s one bag, $8. Thatā€™s it.

No buying junky substitutes (pretzels, cheezies, etc.) The leftover popping corn and one bag of microwave popcorn in the cupboard is okay to have. Any free/included chips are okay to have (which happens zero times in the average month for me but October may see some of those teeny 16g Halloween bags around). Using tortilla chips to scoop homemade chili or taco meat is okay. If DH drops out of the budget challenge I will still stick to it (and not eat any chips he buys outside the one allowed bag).

So, a targeted budget challenge but a worthwhile one, I think. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

So excited for this! :jack_o_lantern: :mage: :bat:

:bar_chart: I actually overhauled my budget last month because between our house and my old car there have been a lot of big expenses lately and I wanted to save more each month.

:fuelpump: I get to WFH one day a week again and I can also take the bus to work one day a week now that the bonkers summer season is over, so thatā€™s how Iā€™m cutting my gas budget. Goal for gas is $200 this month, but Iā€™ll put $250 just in case anything weird happens. (My commute is 25m both ways).

:takeout_box: Iā€™ve also overhauled my eating out because it crept back up since last Budgetober when I was focused on it. Now Iā€™m back to $100 this month for my ā€œsoloā€ treats and $200 for eating out with friends.

And my favorite fall things are:
:maple_leaf: changing leaves
:jack_o_lantern: pumpkin spice
:skull::bat: :candle: Spooky Season!!

4 Likes

Iā€™m not going to Samā€™s Club this week. I spend so much money there whenever I go so Iā€™m gonna stay out of there this week. I donā€™t really need anything from there anyway so Iā€™m gonna avoid temptation.

3 Likes

I think I am in for a tracking challenge! I want to track my grocery, snack and clothes/kid stuff/house stuff.

Excluding big winter needs I will stay under $1000 or track and shame

6 Likes

Iā€™m in. I started a new job recently and am traveling every weekend of October, so Iā€™d like to start tracking my expenses again more granularly (went from updating every other day in college to every other month this summer). My goal is to spend less than 1k on travel expenses (including flights for November).

8 Likes