Bridgerton

discussion of SA

So, a lot of people really really don’t like the way a character approaches consent around fertility with her husband (her being the aggressor) in season 1, but no, generally this show is absolutely not like Game of Thrones which I will not touch for the same reasons.

SA is not a plot device, though women being “ruined” for being caught, completely clothed and innocently, in a room with a man alone unchaperoned is a regular threat, as it was for society women at the time.

5 Likes

Ok, good to know! That all sounds well within the wheelhouse of my comfort-zone. I felt really stupid even asking this, lol, but thank you for responding so kindly!

5 Likes

I’m so curious about this because the ONLY canon “explanation” of the racially diverse casting that was done in S1 was related to the King falling in love with Queen Charlotte. I know a lot of folks think they should’ve just let it be rather than expand on the backstory as to why there are black british nobility and royalty. It seems like with this prequel spinoff, they could really be fleshing out the 2 line backstory of Queen Charlotte + King as a explanation for the diverse nobility. I’m not sure how much that will hold up to believabilty - in general, Bridgerton is not a very believable show for me which has far more to do with the costuming, hair, and anachronisms more than anything else.

3 Likes

Absolutely don’t feel silly for asking this! It’s a huge concern with these kinds of shows. It’s one of the reason I avoid Outlander despite the fact that it’s got some fantastic costumes.

5 Likes
More on SA

There is also a scene in Season 1 where someone tries to force Daphne into marriage by getting physical with her. Daphne has 3 older brothers and has the situation well in hand IIRC, but it does happen. In the book it’s played off as almost a joke and the perpetrator marries a Featherington instead, but in the show it is treated with the gravity it deserves.

5 Likes

Ah, ok. Thank you for mentioning it, I think I’ll continue to avoid for now. <3 Merci!

3 Likes

Ditto! I also would like to read the Broken Earth books but after the first one I noped out because it was way too dark (I don’t remember SA but basically all the other content warnings are needed.) In hind sight I would tell myself to not read it in the first place and just read His Read reviews or Wikipedia or something to learn about the world.

2 Likes

Or skip to season 2! They do not need to be consumed in order.

5 Likes

So good, but so, so dark. Like soul crushing dark.

3 Likes

I’m re-reading Anthony’s story and I think when I’m done I’m going to re-watch season 2. One thing I’ve noticed during my re-read is that his choices are deeply influenced by his belief that he will definitely die young in his early 30s, since both his father and his uncle did. That’s why he doesn’t want to marry for love; because he doesn’t want to leave behind someone who loves him that deeply, like his mother was left behind when his father died young. I don’t think that necessarily was explained in the show.

7 Likes

Yeah, the show seemed more like, his mother’s level of distress about his father’s death made him think love was a bad idea.

5 Likes
episode 4

Not done yet but they go on a hunt and he says “oh you don’t know how to shoot a British gun” (uh, what were they shooting in India then? Indian guns? I highly doubt that) and then puts his arms around her and oooooh look at that, they want to kiss again!

And her sister keeps trying to shove them together for all the wrong reasons!

I did not think Anthony’s “smouldering expression” after their almost-kiss looked very smouldering. He just looked intense and maybe a little pissed off.

Also now I think Benedict is definitely the hottest brother. Anthony and Colin aren’t doing it for me anymore. And what’s up with Colin going to hit on his ex-girlfriend who is now married with twin babies?? Not cool, dude.

5 Likes

I finally started. Ponder has been sucked in and we will be re-watching season 1 after this.

5 Likes
end of episode 4

Kate: I hate you!
Anthony: [That turns me on…]
They almost kiss again

Also, Daphne, it’s called lust, not love.

2 Likes

So far it’s fun but…

Spoilers up to ep 2

Wait, why is Edwina interested in the Viscount? I agree, much better when she actually had another bloke she was interested in and was just showing some interest in the Viscount because she saw he might match well with Kate.

6 Likes

That made no sense to me either! The book did a much better job with that part.

5 Likes

It seemed to me that half of it was “well my family has trained me to find a good match…”

episode 5 (Benedict)

Benedict is like “hell yeah I’ll model naked for you!”.

He is definitely the hottest Bridgerton.

5 Likes

I loved that scene.

2 Likes

I just finihed the entire season 2 and I didn’t like it as much as the first one, still remain a great show though.

2 Likes