YouTube Finds

What are your favorite YouTube channels/videos? I have an affinity for a genre of video I like to call People Taking Care of Things. Cleaning, restoration, organizing. All of that jazz. Today I am enjoying watching this man pressure wash a driveway and uncover a hidden sidewalk.

13 Likes

There’s something so satisfying about pressure washing. That lady must have been thrilled! But also, how does a sidewalk get completely covered?

2 Likes

Our favorite around here is dude dad! My daughter begs to watch dude dad everyday and I have no idea why it appeals to her so much. I love it though! Mom vs Dad: Summer! - YouTube

2 Likes

I love videos like this! So satisfying to watch

I watch a lot of YouTube, most is really random. My favorite channel is probably Simple Living Alaska which is about a couple who homestead off the grid in Alaska. I’ve watched them since their channel was tiny but they really blew up over the past two years! They do a lot of fishing/hunting/food processing, so definitely not the channel for everyone, but they also have a lot of great videos about their amazing vegetable garden, foraging and preserving what they grow!

Acre Homestead is a new one I started watching, which isn’t my favorite, but I just love watching people preserve food, clearly haha. She does a lot of canning/baking and preparing freezer meal type content

Frugal Fit Mom I’ve been watching forever, lately not as much, but I really love her older content (2018-2020). Whenever I need a little motivation to stick to the budget, I binge a bunch of her videos

Jauja Cochina Mexicana is one of my favorite recipe YouTubes. Her videos are all in Spanish, but the auto translate does a pretty good job, and she puts measurements on the screen. Her recipes are incredible! I wish I had time to try all of them

Beryl Shereshewsky is a show about food all around the world. She started making her YouTube during Covid lockdown, and every video is about a different food, or way of preparing food, and how people do it all over the world. She has a great personality for YouTube, and shares video clips of people making their food, and then she recreates the recipes and tries them. It’s super engaging and I love learning about all of these foods I never knew about!

Basically I watch YouTube for food content haha…I have a lot of other subscriptions that are pretty specific like pre-med study videos, Italian study videos, mountain biking/running etc but the ones above are more general that anyone might like.

6 Likes

Mostly I turn youtube on for the music, but there are some original content creators that I’m subscribed to…the full list would take a while, but some of the channels that have been background noise recently:
Overly Sarcastic Productions (history, writing tropes, summarized classics)
Oversimplified (history)
Musical Hell (behind-the-music info and bad musical reviews)
KrimsonRogue (book and book/movie adaptation reviews)
Generally Pooky (book read-throughs/reviews)
Xiran Jay Zhao (history, movie/television analysis)
Ryan George (humor)
Terrible Writing Advice (like it says on the tin)
LegalEagle (lawyer reacts)
Sarah Z (quasi-random video essays…hard to nail down a genre here)

1 Like

I like random vlogs! Mostly asian lifestyle
Because I’m a ween i guess

2 Likes
4 Likes

oh i LOVE the husband bentos. I keep telling myself I’m going to make one of them

2 Likes

I also watch the husbentos! I wish I was her husband

2 Likes

About to Eat
Peter Dibble
SciShow
PBS Eons
DW Planet A
DW News
Insider News
Business Insider (So Expensive)
Binging With Babish
Half as Interesting
South China Morning Post
James Hoffman
Morgan Drinks Coffee
Vox (love earworm and borders)
City Beautiful
Wall Street Journal
CNBC
Renovation East

1 Like

I have a love/hate with Babish. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s something about him. On paper I should love it. I did love the show Sohla did on his channel.

1 Like

We recently discovered Time Team - British archaeology reality tv, about 15 seasons from the late 90s through mid 2000s, and then a revival series that just started this summer that I’m not yet too sure about.

2 Likes

Whoa!! Archaeology reality TV? I’m intrigued.

1 Like

I mean, that the best way I can think to describe it. Apparently it was very popular in the UK.

2 Likes

This video is so pure.

3 Likes

Its SUPER popular in my family! We love Time Team!

2 Likes

Sometime during the pandemic i fell down doctor tube

Where it’s doctors making dark jokes about how fucked the system is

5 Likes

One of my favorite videos for rewatch–history of the entire world, i guess - YouTube

1 Like

You Cant Eat the Grass is a couple who run a small farm and share their experiences as they go to farmers markets, build out a roadside stand, and pivot from veggies to flowers!! Serena makes beautiful bouquets and I learned how to start a cut flower garden from her.

Her 86m2 is an everyday life vlog from a (Vietnamese?) family who lives in rural Germany. Amazing beautiful and peaceful aesthetic.

Leigh Ellexson is an artist I follow on Patreon. She lives in Cincinnati and has a fucking cute dog and I love her work and she’s pretty funny.

Pear Fleur is an incredible artist – I love every single one of her videos, but most especially the ones where she makes watercolor paint and then paints with it. Beautiful.

5 Likes

Loading Ready Run are a long running Canadian comedy company (started off as a group of friends) who are usually good for a laugh. Ponder and I have been watching their stuff pretty much since they started 15+ years ago.

3 Likes