Your Very Own Personal Shopper

Also in my terminology legs are on a snowsuit, no legs on bunting.

Ah! Yes, there is nothing like that for babies. You can preheat the stroller/carseat/bassinet but really lots of layers and they are okay.

I did not know about the carseat bunting with my first and his first checkup was -40. So I went down with him in the stroller, went in the backseat and stripped him down for the carseat and reversed it all. The next visit I took the bus because it was easier! Strollers are so much better than cars

1 Like

We often use this carrier cozy that slips over the entire baby carrier. It’s great especially if you already have the carrier on indoors.

@ellep TIL car seat buntings! Canada and Midwest cold are next level.

2 Likes

Enable me and help me pick new boots! (Or tell me I don’t need them)

This winter I came to accept that my nice Merrell boots for cold/wet weather are… Well falling apart, really.

Main use case is 40-50F rainy days in LA. 2nd case is work travel to northern climes in cold/wet seasons. I have rain boots and hiking boots for ski trips, etc but don’t want to wear them to work or other civilized environs.

Options/photos

Teva Anaya in black, top choice but priciest. Not sure about only option for bad weather having a heel.

Sorel Emilie (with or without zipper). Does not come in black. Like the two tone, maybe? But less dressy. Half the price of Tevas.

Teva Anaya Chelsea (mid height) Wanted these in black but that’s not available anymore.

4 Likes

How much are the Emilie that you’re looking at? I have a Sorel Friends & Family code that I could give you, I get one a month and don’t plan to use it this month. It would make it $100 on the Sorel site, if the pricing affects your decision!

1 Like

I honestly love that kind of block heel - it doesn’t feel too different from a sneaker if the shoe is supportive enough. I vote the first one

1 Like

I love Teva boots. My first ever pair of winter boots when I moved to CO were Teva, and I still have them even though honestly they are decrepit at this point/I live in the desert haha. Anyway, they are SO comfortable and the sole lasts forever

3 Likes

$65-75 on Nordstrom Rack. Not cheap but great for nice boots! Thanks for offering, though!!

3 Likes

I would go with silicone to hold moisture in. Also, if you have tea towels or dish towels, surely that’s effectively the same as a cloth bowl cover?

No brand recommendation, I’m afraid—I have a set of melamine bowls with plastic lids that I am getting more than enough use out of to offset any climate guilt (especially since they were a gift) and for something smaller I just put a plate over a bowl.

5 Likes

Ah, good point about the moisture.

Funny thing is, I actually got one a few years ago but when we moved it got permanently loaned to the bathroom to seal a broken tub drain.

We have enough actual storage containers but currently have a fair bit of “are half my dinner, then got pulled away by a small child.” We have plates that work for our small bowls but not the bigger ones, and I wanted something I can one-hand while holding a baby (tea towels take too much concentration).

3 Likes

So, the stretchy silicone covers def take 2 hands to stretch over the bowl, FWIW. Sounds like you were thinking more like the flat ones that may suction seal? I have not tried those.

Not what you asked for but seems to support your use case, we have 6 bowls similar to these from Costco and I love them for leftovers, soup, and oatmeal. (Similar ones are available at World market and possibly elsewhere, search “bowls with lids”)

4 Likes

I have an assortment - silicone covers that I got from BN, which I like but you kind of have to wrestle with them, it’s not a one handed job - and some flat ones that I got from the thrift store which work well but only on the right sized bowls, and some other flat ones from Aldi that are great for covering a bowl of salad but don’t do any kind of seal.

Lots of times if I’m just covering something overnight I’ll use a piece of waxed paper or a dish, and a dish towel on top.

I own a roll of plastic wrap for emergencies but rarely need it.

5 Likes

I also have a set of the Corning wear individual sized bowls with a glass cover (thrift store) and a lot of assorted Pyrex with plastic lids. You can buy new lids for them on Amazon, btw.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of the flat silicone ones IKEA sells. One handed friendly and easy to store and clean.

2 Likes

I ended up ordering both Emilie to try on and pick one use for any rain this season (I like the zipper ones, but wonder if the Chelsea are more WP. The slip on also has its appeal…). They are similar enough I won’t be tempted to keep both.

I will keep an eye on the Anaya and try to snag them on sale later in the season as just general black work booties. (And replacing a different shoe than the worn our boots).

2 Likes

For tights, I came across this brand, know nothing about them but they are having a sale. :woman_shrugging: They seem to use some nice materials, although the cashmere blend is just 8% so idk if it does much… The thermal tights are polyester, unfortunately…

1 Like

Hi guys! Looking to buy a hair/blow dryer. Any favorites or features I should look for? My hair is shoulder length, fairly thick and wavy to straight. I am a novice hair dryer and aspire only to look tidy and be done with it.

1 Like

Not a cost effective solution but I love my Dyson air wrap. I have long hair and go from sopping wet to blow out in under 15mins and the round brush is a part of it so you don’t have to use two hands. It’s also pretty quiet and strong.

I’m bougie with this one :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I have a Babyliss pro ceramic hair dryer and it used to take me ages to dry my very thick numerous hair and I will never again cheap out. It’s not that pricey but it’s not conair or anything and I’ve been using it for 14 years now so I’d say the value is there. It takes me about 15 minutes to do the whole head. When I go to a hotel and use the wall thingy my arms get tired and I have to do it in shifts.

ETA: errr no diss on conair at all it was just the first drug store brand that popped into my head.

4 Likes

I have a conair hot air brush which is great for my lack of coordination. I have long, thick hair and sometimes get away with just drying the top layer. I air dry 99% of the time, just use the dryer if I need to look particularly sharp.

5 Likes

I have a Conair that I got at a thrift store.

3 Likes