YNAB

Reporting back that I did contact them and they gave me a pro-rated refund! Thanks for the heads up!

10 Likes

as the person in my friend group who is always telling entrepreneurs to raise their prices, i honestly DGAF about the price hike. i love YNAB – it easily helps me save more than $100/year – and i like the team and product they have built. they haven’t taken on investment capital or anything like that, just made and marketed a great product, and i don’t begrudge them wanting or needing to charge more for it.

just wanted to represent the unbothered point of view! YNAB is easily worth $100/year to me!

9 Likes

I cancelled my auto-renew but there is a nonzero chance I still decide to keep it after all. I do like it a lot.

1 Like

FWIW, I did tell them I was happier to pay the increase if they aren’t planning to be acquired, and they said there are no plans for that.

5 Likes

Ok, that might lead to me staying. Especially as I’m in no position to find a new thing and can pay it.

2 Likes

I very briefly tried the new “mortgage” account and had to delete it because it’s really unintuitive and is sort of nonsense for mortgage accounts that aren’t US ones.

2 Likes

Huh, I didn’t know that was a thing. Maybe I’ll try it out. I have our mortgage in as an off-budget account but I ignore it and never reconcile it.

Hey! So my first month of YNAB just ended!

I have a question:

My mortgage payment went through for September a couple of days early and hit August. In budget categories that were underspent the excess rolled over to the next month but in this one it wants me to correct the “overspend” on Mortgage in August and still allocate the full amount for September.

Does the rollover work differently for over spent versus underspent accounts?

To manually do this I just put zero dollars assigned to mortgage for September. Have you done this differently?

2 Likes

That happens a lot with my life insurance and my internet. Sometimes they hit a few days before and sometimes a few days after. I actually manually adjust the date for the payment to make it hit on the 1st of the month if it comes through incorrectly. Then your payment will show as hitting in September, which is really what you want anyway.

4 Likes

I’ve also been known to do this with groceries when grocery day falls on the last day of the month. I just manually change the date :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

That helps my cash flow look nicer too :smiling_imp::smiling_imp: maybe that’s what I’ll do as the solution! I like it better than what I did.

3 Likes

How many months ahead do y’all typically have “funded”?

I have had a few very big expense months so I have not been able to fund ahead as much as I would like.

Right now it is October, I have all expenses for October funded and about 1/2 of November. IDK why but I feel like I should be able to have all of November funded right now even though we have 4 paychecks coming in between now and then.

I like the idea of forecasting spending and looking at the categories and making sure you can cover spending with what I currently have on hand but it is a bit strange not accounting for future income.

Also, one thing I like about mint better is the way to hide expenses and split things you will get reimbursed for. I am going on a trip this month where I will be reimbursed for most of the costs I have paid for housing and it is putting the full cost of the AirBnb towards my vacation budget even though I will only be responsible for like 15% of it. I spent $1700 on the AirBnb and I don’t want that to look like $1700 of spending with $1445 of income I want it to look like $255 of spending for this category.

4 Likes

i have all of october funded right now and none of november. i was making myself a little :banana: trying to prepay months ahead and decided to stop doing that a few years ago because it made it really hard to see what i could save each month. my job is stable for now and i know my october paychecks are coming and i can fully fund november with them, so i just fund things one month out and allocate any extra to savings or investments.

in terms of reimbursement, i set up a new category called biz expense and split bills out as they came in between what will be reimbursed (biz expense) and whatever else. i just deal with that category being in the red until the reimbursement arrives.

hope this helps!

2 Likes

I do this too, luckily because I have the buffer to make this work. if my finances were on the edge, it wouldn’t work, but luckily I always have a fudge buffer >1 month

3 Likes

So. I do this kinda weird because I am used to the Old YNAB way where you could send money to a future month. I have a category called “spending buffer” that is equal to ~3 months of expenses (give or take). About a month ahead of time, I take money out of that category, allocate it to the categories in that month. When more money comes in, rather than allocating it directly to expenses, I just refill that category before filling up the “extra” categories like travel sinking funds or additional savings. So right now I’m budgeted out til December (2 months ahead).

This is the category for this month. The goal is to keep it at $3,575.00, which is roughly 3 months expenses. I already refilled it when I got paid late last month.
Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.44.31 AM

This is what it looks like in November. which is a month away. Before the end of the month, I will refill that $1,290 with income.

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.44.40 AM

This is what it looks like in December right now.

It lets me think about/look at how things might be higher in future months ahead of time (like I allocate more in December for things like restaurants/groceries as there’s more events). But I don’t beef up the extra discretionary categories like (non-retirement) savings, travel, and clothing. This helps me know and predict out a bit in the future.

3 Likes

I do exactly the same but with 1 month instead of 3 months worth.

1 Like

This is also what I do. I made a category called “to be reimbursed” and it’s just usually red :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I miss red arrow to the right from old YNAB

3 Likes

I’m still using old YNAB really it’s a red arrow but I may be the only person left in the world who hasn’t made the switch!

3 Likes

I still have old YNAB on a stick drive as my backup plan, but it stopped working on my computer so I finally made the switch in 2019.

1 Like