YNAB

I’m grandfathered in at $45 a year! So the increase is HUGE to me, up to $89 per year for me (10% discount will still Apply). I don’t renew until July though. I will probably keep paying. I pay $52 a month for Adobe and I get far more value out of YNAB. But the one month notice pisses me off

Tiller is another option- I put it on the video I linked in the other thread.

6 Likes

See this is where I feel like the extra $2 a month to you is worth it, then. I would pay and extra $10 per year to have a system that works for me especially if other systems haven’t worked.

I’m cranky at them

2 Likes

ye-ah…that’s if my partner agrees to continue with it and share the cost, which is unlikely. there’s no way I could pay full price.

Don’t they have some kind of student pricing? Hang on brb
One year free. Hmm.

I’ll keep that in mind, but I feel it would only push off the inevitable if they do keep that option. there are rumors of acquisition.

Yeah I figured same was thinking more along the lines of having a bit more time to find an alternative.

2 Likes

Oooh, I think I also have the original $45 price :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

I am on the lifetime discount of 10% but not grandfathered in price so the price increase isn’t huge for me.

However I did see a tip in the YNAB Fans Facebook group - you can buy a gift subscription before Dec 1 at the current price and then add it to your current plan to extend the timeline where you are paying $86 (current undiscounted price). I also happen to renew on Nov 28th, so that gets me two years of time to figure out if it is worth it to continue to use the system.

5 Likes

Arrrgh I thought I was grandfathered in price, and frankly I still think that’s what I was promised but I can’t prove it. Dagnabbit.

It’s probably worth it to me because I’m used to it and definitely don’t want to rely on free services (if it’s free, you are not the customer, you are the product), but I am grumpy about it.

3 Likes

BTW, I saw an alternative called “Buckets” that people seem to be looking closely at!

1 Like

Super annoyed with YNAB right now. I changed the password on some of my accounts and there is no way to just update the password. You have to completely delete the account and then add it again, this time with the updated login information. If you don’t do that, it gives the little wrench next to the account and says imports are delayed. I don’t mind deleting and re-adding the accounts, but since there is a current balance on each of the credit cards they are making me transfer funds from joint checking to cover the amount and I’m afraid it is going to make all of the accounts wrong and then I’ll have to go through and reconcile each one. I don’t want to do all of that work! On mint all I had to do was click “update login information” and update the password.

2 Likes

Wow, there’s really no excuse for that. Did you try asking customer service about it?

For me Personal Capital is becoming almost unusable, I think because so many of my sites now have dual factor authentication. There are only a few things that it is able to talk to and the others I have to check separately.

1 Like

Yeah, I did a search and found other people asking the same question and that’s their solution - delete the account and then re-add it. If it was a checking account there wouldn’t be an issue. Or if there was a $0 balance there wouldn’t be an issue.

I was going to switch back to Mint only when it was renewal time this year and I completely forgot. It renewed last month. However, Ryan and I were just talking about it and I think for my sanity I’m going to switch back to Mint only for a few month and just completely ignore YNAB, then maybe I’ll start a new budget from scratch and see how it goes. I do really like the way YNAB had me change the way I thought about our savings categories, but in all other aspects I like Mint better.

I’m sorry that Personal Capital is becoming useless. I looked into it once but never fully set it up. Now that I’ve been having so many issues with fraud on my accounts I really appreciate the 2-factor authentication!

1 Like

The more I think about it the less willing I am to accept the price increase. I just sent them a strongly worded email and am seriously considering abandoning the service. It’s just too expensive for what it is and I don’t like them trying to gaslight me about the price increase.

1 Like

I agree completely and I am definitely not renewing next October. I already went in and turned off the auto-renewal. I just have a bit of sunk cost fallacy going on with what I already paid last month for the next year of service

2 Likes

Mine renews in February. I just went in and cancelled my subscription. If they offer me a better deal I would consider staying.

1 Like

Ugh, I HATE it when there’s a product I like run by a small company and then they get acquired or have an IPO. I’ll pay the higher price if it keeps YNAB small and independent. I suppose I should contact them and let them know that.

4 Likes

I think YNAB said on the support forum that you can get a pro-rated refund if you recently renewed and now want to cancel. Worth checking if you want to cancel now.

4 Likes

Thank you!! I’ll look into that

2 Likes

Yes, I read that too.