Who should sponsor OMD?

Lovely forumers -

In my quest to find revenue for the forums that reflects the values of the community, I’m going out look for sponsors. I want to have sponsors essentially “underwrite” the forums as marketing - this method has worked for other forums without getting terrible jumpy scammy ads.

But I need your ideas of companies that might have a marketing budget that might be interested this community’s goodwill as a sponsor. (from a technical standpoint, we are a forum that gets ~350K pageviews a month, is mostly US, other demographic stuff I can share with folks).

My current thoughts are:

• Tax prep software companies
  • YNAB
  • Something to do with knitting or plants???
11 Likes

I suppose Vanguard is out of reach? Or Fidelity?

6 Likes

hmm. Interesting. I’ll see if i can dig up any marketing contacts there.

6 Likes

Vanguard or Fidelity make sense to me, actually.

Does any of the Tax Aide orgs do sponsorships? We’re a forum that both volunteers for that type of work and receives it.

I think larger yarn companies usually target knitting forums in particular. Small companies in that world don’t usually have marketing budget.

Too bad we’re not more Aussie, Bunnings would be a good bet otherwise lol. What about seed catalogs?

6 Likes

yea, we’re about 75% US. Top 5 countries last month were:

1. US
  2. Canada
  3. Czechia
  4. Australia
  5. UK
4 Likes

Interestingly…food is one of our highest “affinity” categories according to our overlord Google Analytics

Thinking about meal kit services. God knows they spend a lot on marketing.

12 Likes

Bulk spice companies? Eco products?

7 Likes

Dan Price/Gravity Payments (he’s the CEO in Seattle who lowered his own CEO comp to raise the salary of all his employees to 70k or higher). They are B2B but you could pitch the fact that you have a lot of freelancers/contractors who might be interested in their services (they mainly process CC payments).

He has had some pretty amazing tweets during the pandemic and I think he would like what you are doing here/with OMD.

This guy says he doesn’t do marketing and his services would be competition for your day job, but his price point is closer to what most people here can afford:

I’m probably going to try him out for a first run through my finances this year, and then hire YOU when I get to the fancier estate planning/charitable giving stage in a few more years.

6 Likes

Any of the small eco skincare brands? Something like Ridwell?

4 Likes

I’d say meal kit or bulk food companies, wealthsimple, maybe insurance companies? A lot are pushing lifestyle info and have financial and other advice.
Netflix?

6 Likes

Coffee, tea, wine supplement subscriptions?

6 Likes

Penzey’s would be a good fit.

7 Likes

Omg yes it would

3 Likes

i didn’t even know what this was…but spices. interesting

3 Likes
8 Likes

Super, super values driven. And their spices are BOMB.

3 Likes

They also have a location right by Powell’s

3 Likes

What about any publishers or book stores? Powell’s?

1 Like

What credit cards do you recommend for travel hacking and/ or building credit?

1 Like

Penzey’s Spices (Wisconsin based).

Very progressive. Owner: bill.penzey@penzeys.com

ETA: Hah! I see they were already mentioned.

4 Likes