Who got their FLU SHOT?

I’m sure upcoming baby isn’t specifically why you got it, but THANK YOU anyway :slight_smile: it’s so reassuring when I know people who will be seeing her have gotten their shot!

7 Likes

Is this year anticipated to be really bad, or have there been new recommendations sent out to medical staff regarding flu shots? Because I’ve never been so effusively thanked by my doctor to have gotten my flu shot.

(Super excited to meet Coffee Bean, whenever she decides to grace us with her presence!)

5 Likes

It was a bad flu season here. I don’t know how that works out for the northern hemisphere.

5 Likes

It’s supposed to be a bad one. Australia is our indicator country, and they’re having it bad. :frowning: also, anti vaxx sentiments have been on the rise the past year.

4 Likes

Someone over the weekend was bragging about never getting the flu, despite never getting the flu shot. A nurse and I were like, yeah, because we’re protecting you! Grr.

8 Likes

#NotAnEpidemiologist, but my understanding was it takes pretty high vaccination rates to benefit noticeably from herd immunity and flu vax rates weren’t close (like 30%?)

2 Likes

:cry::rage::rage::rage::cry::astonished::rage: ← feelings about anti-vaxxers

I couldn’t in good conscience :heart: your post. (Even though I liberally interpret those as “good point!” or “support” or “thanks for contributing”)

4 Likes

Is this a safe space?

I’ve never had a flu shot.

And generally I’m one of those people who is very very affected by…things.
Reading posts from people who got even a little bit sick from it terrify me (I have no sick days/pto).
I understand that this isn’t logical but I’m still super super super scared of it, both the shot (which is silly) and the potential reaction.

6 Likes

If it helps, I wasn’t sick enough to want to take off, just enough to be annoyed and slightly grumpy. Tylenol mostly fixed it until I forgot to take more.

Maybe give it a shot this year so you know? (ugh no pun intended) You’re exposed to a lot of different people’s houses and germs with your job so you might actually benefit from getting it just to stay safe.

If I remember correctly you have one day off on your schedule, right? Can you get it right before that day off? Usually the people that do get mild symptoms only have a short time like 24 hours.

But being scared of it is normal! Esp because you’ve never had one so it’s unknown.

Also if it helps, I get my flu shot every year and never have any ill effects even though I’m immunosuppressed.

5 Likes

Agree with @anomalily on all points. Also chiming to say I don’t have a fabulous immune system (although I’m not immunosuppressed), and the only symptom I get is a teeny tiny bit of soreness in my arm. It’s barely noticeable. So yeah, not everyone has a terrible reaction to it!

2 Likes

Hello me from earlier this year. I was really, really worried. What helped me was thinking about all the other vaccinations I’ve had; have you ever reacted to any of those, that you know of?
Then I thought about people with low/no immunity, and how even most of THEM can get it (e.g. pregnant people, immunosuppressed like Anomalily, my toddler).
Then I had a good chat with my healthcare professionals (the nurse & my normal doctor).

Then I went and got my shot with a safe person (my DH). Just to be on the safe side, I didn’t want to be in charge of getting myself there and back, and I needed someone to hold my hand and give me a treat afterwards. Also had paracetamol on hand for aches/ pains and any low grade fever.

It worked. I’m totally going back next year no problems.

7 Likes

Thanks y’all, especially recalling the specific experiences.
I guess I had vaccines when I was a kid (we had to, right?), but I don’t remember any of those since it was SO long ago.
It’s a pretty small needle right?

@anomalily No days off yet, but I’m hoping 2020 will bring that coveted day off. I like the idea of having the day off afterwards, even if I feel ok.

8 Likes

Pretty small needle! <3 Just a jab in the shoulder, no vein searching or anything.

2 Likes

Yup, as Oro said, small needle, quick jab. Relax your arm and think about pups and kitties. Stick delicious food in mouth immediately after.

5 Likes

Offered and received at work today. I detest needles and could have done without the nice lady administering it doing her level best to keep the syringe directly in front of my eyes while she asked which arm (I really don’t care, just don’t make me look), but it’s done now. No fancy bandaids, though, although now that I think about it I could have gone and gotten a Dory one from my cube if I’d really wanted it since we have a box in the outreach supplies.

4 Likes

My personal opinion is that no one should “brave” allergies or extreme reactions, or possibly even normal/minor reactions if their life circumstances do not permit (That said, what happens if you actually get sick?) If unable to get vaccinated…try to be responsible? I’m sure you’ll make the best choice you are able for yourself.

Gentle push that if you don’t remember your last round of vaccines, you probably need boosters for all of them. Just something to think about. I think I got whooping cough once in spite of being vaxxed, and it…was not fun. (Shocking, I know.)

FWIW, I haven’t had more than a sore arm and some tiredness after any vaccine. I don’t think I know anyone who has had any extreme reaction (>1 day cold symptoms) either, including people with allergies, eczema, etc. I faint during blood draws if I’m not horizontal, but I haven’t even felt lightheaded after flu shot. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

First of all: YES this absolutely is a safe space to discuss pros and cons (from a science perspective) without judging each other.

One thing you might consider or look into in your area -

FluMist is a nasal spray option that, in healthy adults, is either as effective as the needle version or is slightly less effective (depending on the source) but is still better than no vaccine.

This would prevent any muscle soreness from a needle-administered vaccine. I have a friend who used to get this version and she did have to pay for it - and it’s in shorter supply than the needle version. But it is out there.

It wouldn’t be much different as far as how your body reacts - if you will tend to be someone that feels a little crummy, that will happen either way because it’s due to your immune system working to make antibodies (a good thing).

I will say that I am somebody who has adverse reactions to vaccines, enough that for years my doctor did not recommend the flu vaccine for me (20 years ago, not recently!). I have to send my doctor pictures to make sure I’m not having an actual allergic reaction, and I feel like absolute poo for about 24 hours.

BUT it doesn’t stop me from being able to go to the gym! I just avoid any moves that give me vertigo, which only happens with tetanus boosters, not flu shots – so it’s not NEARLY as bad as your concussion restrictions/symptoms were-- it feels like you might feel if you have a head cold. Again, I’m an extreme case with a lifelong documented history of issues with ALL vaccines – and I now get my flu shot every year :slight_smile:

Do you think Gym friend and his husband would be interested in all going together to get your shots, then getting celebratory flu shot coffee?

9 Likes

I never had a flu shot until recently, because I’m pretty scared of needles. However, the jab is pretty painless (like, a hangnail or stubbing your toe is much more painful), and I’ve never had any of the tiredness/head cold-type symptoms – just a little muscle soreness for the rest of the day when I lift that arm up.

1 Like

Me neither, I only started getting them the last few years. I was so terrified of needles that I used to hyperventilate. I can’t believe that I actually give myself weekly shots now.

But I find that the injections (as opposed to blood draws) are thin and quick. Maybe there will be some soreness after but it’s over really fast! Hugs @JanetJackson , I know that it’s a scary thing, but the flu shot really isn’t that bad! I had no reaction this year and Marmalade was a little knocked out the next day but then he was fine. Better than getting the flu!

5 Likes