Where Should We Live?

I am not actually outsourcing this to you all, don’t get too excited, but I love a brainstorm and chatter. We will be moving, most likely in a year. The location is wherever my husband gets a job that’s really good. Which is exciting! But also very big. So would love some inspiration!

Guardrails/expectations below, but they’re pretty expansive. Pls share your dream cities/town and why you love it. make a case for YOUR city/town. Unless you’re in Australia.

We are a family of 4. 2 adults, 1 preschooler, 1 cat. Our expected income is $100-$180k. We need to be near universities or research centers.

• We prefer public school systems and amenities (libraries, local Ys, etc.).
  • We want to own a 4BR home with a yard
  • We own cars, both adults can drive
  • We enjoy racially diverse areas
  • We love natural beauty and the outdoors and enjoy, but don’t require, 4 seasons
  • We’d like access to a city, but don’t want to be in it unless it’s fairly small or medium sized (smaller than Boston)
  • A large Muslim community would be a plus
  • A great airport is a plus
  • A compact downtown area would be nice in a town (even if we have to drive to it)
  • A culture of civic engagement and community would be really cool
  • Museums would be rad.

cc @Allhat @flan @Marcela

14 Likes

Winnipeg MB fits the bill! It even only has 2 seasons! I almost relocated there but didn’t

6 Likes

You got jokes.

3 Likes

forgot all about these canadian jokers

6 Likes

I recommend Regina. The city that thymes with fun!

7 Likes

Dildo is also a popular locale

4 Likes

How important is reproductive rights at the state level to you? That influences my recs.

But off the top of my head, Twin Cities area checks…nearly all your boxes?

5 Likes

I don’t know about the Muslim community here, but Lakewood, CO is pretty amazing and checks all of the other boxes!

4 Likes

I was also gonna say twin cities! Or Milwaukee.

2 Likes

It is important enough that I would vote for it to be accessible always forever so I could live in a state that needs that.

4 Likes

Sigh. Not the PNW…

1 Like

:wink: love this range for you

obv come be my neighbor:

• ill drag you to yoga
  • we can do walks together
  • you’ll get the community you’ve always wanted
  • rodeo will be here, too
  • you can get a house here
  • there’s no state income tax
  • there are academic options for MrM
  • there’s a world-class medical center for whichever medical needs ever arise
  • it wont be hard to find a new dentist/primary care/whatever bc we’ll already have recs
  • we can go do soft martial arts together
  • repro justice can be achieved with $ and driving
  • there are good muslim communities here incl in my existing friend group
  • votes really matter here
10 Likes

OH WAIT, I DIDN’T EVEN READ THIS I WAS SO EXCITED. MORE REASONS

• we have an AMAZING museum district. the little one would LOVE our museum of natural science – i used to TA at the summer camp there
  • racial diversity!
  • I already go to the Y here! they just renoed it and it’s excellent
  • I love the libraries here
  • driving is defacto method of transportation
  • there actually is natural beauty, and we have two very convenient airports for direct flights to a LOT of places easily
  • we have several areas that feel like a typical “downtown” so it’s like getting 3-4 downtowns in one city!
8 Likes

I’m just listing everywhere I’ve ever lived, but Albany and Ithaca would be decent. But Ithaca is really only an option if Mr Meow gets a very specific job.

4 Likes

I was gonna rec @flan’s state for a ton of the reasons, the only downside in my opinion is that it’s hard for kids/teens to be independent at all because the public transit is pretty awful, especially if you’re not looking to be smack-dab in a city. And then of course, repro and trans rights are not going great there (but votes do matter). Big Muslim community in Houston from what I understand, a lil less in austin.

2 Likes

I would recommend against any state with limitations on health care for women, unless you are sterilized. My BFF of 52 years is a retired OB/GYN, and all states that have enacted restrictions have done so without consulting health care providers. In her opinion, there will be a big increase in women’s deaths as a result.

5 Likes

I also was going to say twin cities without having read any of the other posts.

3 Likes

I mean, obviously it’s easier to live in places that are more progressive and offer more accessible repro options to women if one has the money and COL is no object, but if it may not be the right location for other reasons such as COL or education or day-to-day needs then there are still ways to get care in the other states that cost a lot less than living in a higher COL state just for the easier repro access. I wouldn’t say it’s fair to assume that if you live in a state [like Texas] that you wont have options.

1 Like

The stories from Texas are absolutely chilling. Not that Florida is any better, mind you, but I am 66, and my life and health are not at risk.

2 Likes

Well fuck me in particular then I guess.

Also, you’re wise to get ahead of my smart arse post.

9 Likes