Where Should We Live?

You can still post a picture of your beach if you want. I know it’s killing you.

9 Likes

It’s not nice to punch down.

6 Likes

One of my concerns with states clamping down on repro rights is the fringe ways it impacts other health care for anyone with a uterus. For me, one of my medication for rheumatoid arthritis is also being targeted with these wide ranging repro health measures.. And doctors in Missouri are having to stop treatment for people that have been on hormone replacement therapy for a decade out of concern over their licenses with the new law.

Obviously, if you have means, you can probably seek health care in another state. But the concern is the friction is creates in unexpected areas of life. Everyone chooses what other considerations they weigh that against, though.

8 Likes

Re: abortion, I’ve got killer birth control, excellent resources, and no hormone/reproductive issues. I can keep states going purpley :muscle:

Let’s pls refocus on why it’s amazing to live in places, this issue is a whole thread and more.

10 Likes

I can make a case for Seattle metro! though I’m not sure it’d really be the best fit for you.

• Public schools seem pretty good in the city proper (based on my conversations with a teacher friend) and there’s great library systems here
  • Plenty of 4BR houses with yards
  • Metro area is car-friendly but also has a lot of good walkable areas
  • Insane levels of natural beauty and outdoors access – 4 seasons, but winter is mild in the city with amazing snowpack less than an hour drive away
  • Seattle is a little bigger than Boston, but has a well-developed metro area – you could easily live in a community much quieter than Boston, or just in a quieter neighborhood of the city
  • SeaTac is a pretty good airport and accessible by light rail
  • Lots of neighborhoods with little walkable “downtowns”
  • Definitely culture of civic engagement, at least in my experience
  • Some pretty good museums (I love the MoPOP, dangit)
  • Lots of colleges in the metro area! including University of Washington, of course.

Caveats

• Yeah it’s HCOLA. A 4BR is probably gonna run you 750k minimum. Let’s not pretend that’s affordable.
  • Let’s not pretend the lack of light during the summer has no affect on people, either. Sunlamps are seriously vital up here.
  • I would not call Seattle racially diverse. It’s like 70% white. This is a thing I really miss from California.
  • Accordingly, the Muslim community is not huge. It does exist (including women who wear veils, etc) but it’s not huge.
3 Likes
3 Likes

Actually, a real but not American answer… look at Kitchener-Waterloo ON. Mid size cities, decent money, house prices should he coming down but are in CAD, very fam friendly, has become super diverse in the last 15y but has always had the diversity of one major and one minor university. Driving distance to a third.

45 min drive to me

7 Likes

And one college that I think Is offering combo college /university programs.

Also, just down the road in Brantford there is (or was, when I lived there) a satellite campus for a northern University.

5 Likes

MrM secretly wants to be Canadian so I’m sure if he ever got a job across the border we’d be emigrating.

9 Likes

Come to the north side, we have poutine, butter tarts, and maple fluff. Mmmmm maple fluff…

6 Likes

Once he has a PhD you guys are a shoe-in. They love highly educated couples with young children

12 Likes

Loving this idea as the PhD being a great escape plan. Milking this dumb thing for all it’s worth.

7 Likes

I would add more of Minnesota to your consideration. The twin cities would be great for your plans but also Duluth could be a good option!

3 Likes

I missed this thread earlier but popping in very late to add another vote for the Twin Cities! I always want to recommend Minneapolis to people because I love it and think it’s underrated but it really does sound like a good fit

Pros:

• Medium cost of living, great quality of life
  • Tons of colleges around plus the University of MN
  • Large Muslim community, mostly East African. Schools in Minneapolis just started closing for Eid this year
  • Most of the city doesn’t really feel like a city (imo), compact downtown for sure
  • Strong culture of civic engagement
  • Excellent airport
  • One of the best parks systems in the country. Otherwise the natural beauty can’t really compare to places like Denver or the PNW but there’s a lot of good nature a few hours north

Cons:

• Winter :woman_shrugging:
  • Not as racially diverse as some other cities but some neighborhoods are very diverse
3 Likes