What prices have gone up? OMD Consumer Price Index

Thank you for the cat specific inflation content, it is most relevant to this forum

11 Likes

I’ve had such a hard time getting Hills canned cat food for my cat! The hills to home site is inexplicably out of everything but my vet still has boxes for sale (marked up of course) so I’ve been buying there. Whenever I reach out to Hills to ask about availability it’s like, “We’re aware of issues and working on it!” which is…not really an answer, lol. I think they’re prioritizing vet clients and not direct buyers because I can’t figure out how else our vet could have a virtually endless supply yet none is for sale on the actual manufacturer’s site.

6 Likes

Did somebody already mention this? IIRC the wet cat food shortages are apparently linked to meat processing shortages, because they use a lot of meat by products.

I just made a Chewy autoship order and the prices have definitely gone up even for a cheap brand like Friskies (I get the shreds because they are typically the highest protein lower cost food. My vet okayed it – she gets the same for her cats)

4 Likes

That makes sense. I don’t buy meat for myself often, so the cat food is where I noticed the price difference. I also heard something about a can shortage, which maybe explains why I was able to get plastic packets of the same food.

1 Like

I didn’t know that but it makes sense!

Propane for home heating:

01/13/21 $1.90/gal
02/01/21 $2.10/gal
02/22/21 $2.15/gal
03/18/21 $2.25/gal
04/19/21 $2.25/gal
10/01/21 $2.40/gal
11/24/21 $2.70/gal
12/21/21 $2.55/gal

I’ve not had a January delivery yet, which would be most directly comparable. Natural gas pries do fluctuate throughout the year, are more expensive in the winter, and vary regionally. The jump in Nov was alarming but it backed off a bit. However, we haven’t had truly cold weather until really this past week. I imagine it will go up again (supply & demand). I expect I may have a heart attack when the next delivery comes. News reports in the fall warned that home heating and natural gas prices may be up by as much as 50% this winter. I also received a notice from my electric utility stating electricity base prices would also be up by as much as 20% because, surprise, much of the electricity generation here is via natural gas. Typically last winter I used around 100 gallons per month, on average.

ETA:
You can find really detailed data on the US Energy Information Administration, it is freely available. For example:

Residential propane prices:

Wholesale price and change:

1 Like

The only prices I regularly take note of are for things that are 100% optional in my life so I can confidently say that Red Bull has not increased and is often on sale :laughing:

I’ve noticed this here too - essential baby supplies like diapers and formula have increased at a higher rate than other goods I buy (for mutual aid donation) and it makes me so angry. I’ve stopped separating my own purchases from donation because I can more easily stomach the idea of my own food costing more.

10 Likes

I’m going to talk about the official stats and our own stats today on the livestream, 5PM Pacific/8PM Eastern (Monday 9AM AWST)

2 Likes

12-28-20 vs 12-29-21 at a large chain grocery store (Meijer)

gallon milk $1.39 to $2.90!
shredded cheese $1.88 to $2.19
dozen eggs $.66 to $1.79!
frozen pizza $3.89 to $4.49
lunchmeat $3.59 to $4.19
cat treats $1.69 to $1.78
bird seed $11.99 to $17.99!

Some things have gone up a lot, some a little, some have not changed. Even when the dollar amount is small, the percentage can be large. Overall my bill is definitely higher, probably because there are fewer good sales too.

6 Likes

Okay, it’s been a while but I don’t think I usually spent twenty dollars on bulk almonds. Looks like they were $14.99 a pound; I feel like $12.99/lb is more normal.

2 Likes

I’ve been told that a lot of smaller vendors (I mostly buy Merrick and Nature’s Variety) have the ingredients but can’t get them canned. I don’t know if that’s the same for larger companies. I’ve definitely had to be more flexible and have started feeding half dry and half wet food again instead of all wet.

4 Likes

Basically every alcohol has increased in price. I know some of it is due to a glass shortage and some due to shipping. For instance, my store didn’t get any Beaujolais Nouveau wine this year because it would cost distributors an extra $40/case to get it from France to the US.

5 Likes

Our liquor store said that scotch prices are still very high from the trump trade war/tariffs on European alcohol. It’s been a like 5 years but the whiskey I bought in grad school was ~$35 and now the same brands are closer to $55.

3 Likes

Same thing with Baileys, Also a tariff.

1 Like

And nobody can get it at airport duty free anymore because nobody is travelling internationally! The injustice!

(I do love me some Baileys but typically only buy it as a duty free treat)

2 Likes

Ryan’s cream liqueur, made in ?Kentucky?is pretty close.

1 Like

Canola oil. From 3-5$/ big jug to $11. Ridiculous. The 1L was 7.99. I got a litre of sunflower instead.

7 Likes

When did notebooks get so expensive? Like school notebooks? I remember buying them $1 each in college, and I was just in CVS (obviously high prices) and one 3 subject notebook was TEN dollars. I had to order some for school and a 3 pack of 3 subject notebooks was 18.99….

6 Likes

I’m sorry, what? This is like… too much money for notebooks.

2 Likes

Whoa.

1 Like