What prices have gone up? OMD Consumer Price Index

Inflation has gone up for a bunch of things in many countries. Please share examples of prices that you’ve seen gone up - for fuel, grocery items, services, bus tickets, rent, etc. If you know what it was before, and what it is now, let me know!

Counterexamples also welcome!

7 Likes

I’ll start. my prices for various staple items have gone up: popcorn is now $2.99/lb instead of $2.29, tofu is now $2.49/lb instead of $1.99/lb and pasta is now $1.29 a pack instead of $.99.

2 Likes

Comparing 1/15/2021 to 12/20/2021 at Costco: bag of frozen blueberries went from $7.49 to $8.99; Box of instant mashed potatoes went from $6.79 to $9.89. Comparing to 10/2/2020, 2 gallons of 2% milk went from $5.69 to $5.79. Everything else appears to be the same price, given my very random, not so often tracking.

3 Likes

Ooh commenting to come back later. I’ll compare my old price book on my next Costco trip.

2 Likes

The single biggest thing so far is I’ve just noticed a total lack of good sales. So like, even if the list price of something hasn’t really gone up, it’s not going on sales anymore.

Oh dang, I thought of a good one. Diapers. The Huggies at Costco used to be 39.99 a box, and they’ve gone up by 10 bucks per box I think? We go through a box a month, so it’s not a negligible amount for a lot of household’s budgets.

(ETA double checked, $46.99, so it’s gone up like $7 a box)

9 Likes

I buy 93% lean hamburger and it went from 4.88 to 5.88/lb. Living on the west coast our car gas always fluctuates a lot and now again is at 4.35. The cost of my small dogs dentals has doubled in price from 300 to 600 if they don’t have teeth pulled. My sister in Chicago paid 160 which is what I paid for just the pre op blood work.

My dental cleaning for just the implanted denture on the bottom is now 740 and has to be done yearly. My doggie dental insurance went up 25/month so I doubled the deductible and lowered the percentage they pay to keep the payment the same. My Medicare payment went up the exact same amount as my SS raise.

3 Likes

I don’t keep great track of grocery prices over time, but definitely noticing the high gas prices. I would say usually between 3.50 and 4.30/gal, but recently 4.75 to 5.15, easy (Los Angeles… It was like 3/gal in Omaha, I’m sure that’s high for them!)

I do expect gas prices to impact all goods, including food, since everything needs to be transported!

3 Likes

Restaurant prices have increased in my area. Many restaurants have hand written corrections on their menus. Personal care items seem to be higher cost too. I have not seen major differences in food from the grocery store though!

5 Likes

Oh, my rancher increased (1/4-1/2 cow bulk orders) beef per lb by hang weight by $0.30/lb last month!

4 Likes

Bragging.

8 Likes

I’ve definitely noticed price differences at Costco. I buy the grassfed beef burgers all the time, and they used to be $19.99 for a 5 pound bag, and now are $22.99 . The organic greek yogurt has also gone up in price along with the coconut oil and the maple syrup, but I can’t remember the specific prices off the top of my head. The canned Salmon used to be $12.99 and now is $13.99

The local grocery store that has the cheapest produce increased the lettuce price from 99 cents a head to $1.50 a head, and similar increases for kale, collards, etc

I almost never eat out, so I don’t typically notice those price changes, but yesterday I bought a friend some birthday donuts from our favorite Mexican bakery and they used to be 75 cents each and now are $1.25! which is still perfectly reasonable for delicious donuts and pastries, but I was surprised!

4 Likes

There’s a fine line between country and boujie :joy: does it make it less boujie if I’m related to them?

9 Likes

Trader Joe’s bell peppers went: green from $0.69 per to 0.79 per (I think, less sure on this one), red from 0.99 per to 1.29 per.

2 Likes

Milk here went from $2.30->$2.99 per gallon
Eggs $1.60->$2.99 per dozen
Ground beef $4/lb->$5/lb

Fortunately bone in chicken thighs seem to be stable at $1/lb.

3 Likes

For the past 2 months Costco hasn’t had bone-in thighs! Sooo annoying! I got drums instead but they just aren’t the same.

3 Likes

siggi’s yogurt Sept 2020 was $1.13 each now $1.69!

1 Like

Fuel is actually going down here right now, so I have some hopes for food prices.

…Which need some hope.

• The store brand corn chips I buy have gone from .80 a bag last January to $1.20 today.
  • Jif Natural PB 40 oz (I buy this now because Walmart no longer carries its own store brand - this has happened with a lot of things) is $5.88. A year ago it was $5.44, but the store brand was $4.28.
  • A lot of the lower cost items are just not available anymore - I used to have those tiny little .99 pizzas for lunch about once a week, but they’ve been gone from the shelves since sometime last summer.
3 Likes

Just a quick note that some of this stuff may be seasonal and/or related to winter storms and the effect on the supply chain. The midwest tornadoes apparently hit the meat packing industry hard (esp chicken) and the west-coast snows really mucked up our supply chain for just about everything.

Not to say that prices aren’t creeping higher on many things – I haven’t bought them for awhile but I’ve noticed that while goldfish crackers used to go on sale regularly for .99/small package lately the best price Fred Meyer (Kroger chain) seems to have them for is 1.09.

SO was commenting on how much more nuts were costing at Costco. He thought they used to be $11-12 for the big jar of mixed nuts, but I know they haven’t been that cheap for a LOOONG time. He paid $15.49 but I think I have paid up to $16-17 during the pandemic.

Dark chocolate sea salt caramels only went on sale for $6.99 for a couple of weeks this year – most of the season we have been paying $9.49. Cheaper than a crack habit, I figure.

5 Likes

That’s actually one of the things we are gonna talk about! How to tell and what it might mean (sometimes seasonal price increases become permanent because prices are sticky!)

3 Likes

My favorite Chinese place had a sign on their door when I went to get takeout saying that they have added a 5% surcharge to all orders to respond to inflation. I guess they expect food prices to go down again, or why not just increase the prices?

5 Likes