What podcast are you listening to?

I’m sure a lot of us here listen to the OMD podcast, so I’m sure there are a number of other podcast fans. What’s currently playing or next up on your podcast player?

I’m actually in the middle of the latest OMD right now, but next up is a new update episode for Bear Brook, a fascinating true-crime podcast about a group of mysterious murders and the DNA breakthroughs that are bringing us closer to a solution.

1 Like

At the recommendation of my sister in law, I downloaded something called Dr Death. Apparently it’s kinda like Serial, in that it’s a cohesive story. Haven’t listened to it yet though!

2 Likes

I am a huge fan of these shows:

• Bad With Money with Gaby Dunn
  • Making Ways is about the non-traditional paths that creative careers take
  • Good Company is by Grace Bonney of Design*Sponge and she does an amazing job highlighting creative business owners who are POC, queer, and people with disabilities
  • Sprocket Podcast is like a wide-ranging silly show on bikes (but not like mechanics but lifestyle), low-impact living, and has been around forever
  • The Pitch which is shark tank in audio format, and highly produced
1 Like

I love podcasts! Here are some of my favorites:

1. Money/finance/business related

OMD (of course!)
The Mad Fientist
Planet Money
So Money
Stacking Benjamins
Afford Anything
Freakonomics
Dave Ramsey (I tune out during his right wing rants)
The Pitch
How I Built This

1. Other

This American LIfe
Hidden Brain
Pod Save America
The Rachel Maddow Show
Frontline
Serial
The James Altucher Show
The Tim Ferris Show
The Jordan Harbinger Show
The Splendid Table
KUOW Speaker’s Forum
Dear Sugars (RIP – I’ll miss this one…)
Reboot
Where Shall We Begin (Esther Perel)

1 Like

I’ve discovered some really cool fiction podcasts that are doing interesting things - mostly in the sci/fi or horror-ish genre:
TANIS
The Black Tapes
The Magnus Archive
Limetown
Welcome to Night Vale
Within The Wires

1 Like

My Jams:

• Reply All
  • Sawbones
  • Science Vs.
  • Stuff You Missed in History Class
  • Hidden Brain
  • OMD (Obviously…)
  • Rough Translation
  • Planet Money
  • The Indicator
  • Undiscovered
  • Uncivil
  • The Nod

I think I’m going to have to spend an entire week listening to podcasts to catch up on these new suggestions at this rate!

TANIS is so great! Have you tried Wolf 359? It’s a little more comedy and less horror, but I thought it was great sci fi (and is completed, which I always appreciate in story-podcasts).

I have not listened to Wolf 359, but I am adding the first few episodes to my playlist! Thanks for the recommendation!

(And yes, it’s definitely nice to have a completed story!)

If you can’t afford real therapy, listening to What’s the T: The RuPaul Podcast with Michelle Visage is … basically the same thing.

2 Likes

Love all the recommendations! I’ve added a bunch of new ones to Overcast!

I also started listening to the Ask a Manager podcast recently. And Dear Prudence. And Mom and Dad Are Fighting. I like advice columns.

my faves are:

• Bad with Money with Gaby Dunn
  • Dear Prudence
  • Sagittarian Matters - a lot about art and being creative and money but also intersectional feminism and vegan food reviews
2 Likes

I recently found one called Ologies. I’ve only listened to a couple so far, but they’re great. Bring on experts in (you guessed it) different -ologies. Island Ecology, or what have you. The islands one was super good.

And I always enjoy Happier with Gretchen Rubin as a good light one. It’s an easy listen, especially for walks.

2 Likes

I know Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos have been getting a lot of documentary press recently, but having not closely followed the story in the news or watched the documentary(s?) I binged The Dropout podcast. 6 episodes, really interesting overview.

1 Like

I discovered another horror anthology show I’ve been digging recently: The White Vault. Bonus points for a very international cast of characters.

Also, apparently I love listening to audio horror but never read horror?

2 Likes

I have noticed that my taste is different in different media–reading, listening, video. I read much more fiction than nonfiction but listen to far more nonfiction podcasts. In fact, I listen to dozens of podcasts but the only fiction one is Welcome to Night Vale.

A new one I’m really enjoying is Mob Queens. It’s about a woman, Anna Genovese, who was a mob wife and opened a gay bar (breaking convention to own her own business) before testifying against her husband. I’m enjoying how the hosts are sharing their research in apparent real time (instead of doing all the research and then putting together the podcast) and tying in their own lives in a very minor way.

1 Like

Looking for a recommendation or two: any good podcasts to listen to before bed? I don’t want to fall asleep to a podcast, but I like to listen while washing my face and such. I love true crime, but it’s not the best choice for bedtime! I don’t want anything too funny or dramatic either.

1 Like

The Moth or Risk! are good storytelling podcasts. Armchair Expert for interviews with famousy people, Beautiful Anonymous for… anonymous advice/storytelling?

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: Glad I’m not the only one that was actively tuning out during Dave Ramsey’s right-wing rants. I have to admit that DR and his show was what got me into personal finance in the first place-- and pushed me to pay off my student loans faster. Learned SO much from the man that I’ve been able to pass on to friends in various ways (helped them to avoid sticky financial situations with family members, etc). I like to tune in from time to time still but-- so glad other options are out there now that aren’t quite so… uh, rigid, to say the least lol.

Podcasts that I don’t think have been mentioned that I can add:

• If you dig liberal politics but need a humorous take and are perhaps already familiar with Pod Save America: Lovett or Leave it!
  • If you like true crime but need to hear some stories that aren’t super gorey: Criminal
  • A podcast about money and healthcare that I particularly dig as a cancer survivor: An Arm and a Leg
2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check those out! Are the first two fiction or nonfiction?