What podcast are you listening to?

Nonfiction.

1 Like

My go-to for this time slot is Omnibus, wherein Ken Jennings and John Roderick pick a thing and tell you about it for awhile (last 3 episodes: sliced bread; As Slow As Possible; jugglalos).

2 Likes

I love Levar Burton Reads. It’s pretty much what it sounds like—Levar Burton selects short fiction pieces and reads them, sometimes in a studio and they add some audio effects, sometimes live.

My husband likes Hey Riddle Riddle, which he describes as a silly podcast where the main focus is people telling and solving riddles but it leads to some improv stuff.

1 Like

Ooh, Levar Burton Reads sounds great.

I mentioned yesterday at my craft group that I listen to several podcasts with “witch” in the name and thought I should recommend my witchy podcasts here!

• Witch the Vote: based in Salem, Massachusetts, US-focused of course, but sometimes about more broadly applicable witchy/anti-capitalist/voting stuff
  • Missing Witches: history about witchy and otherwise non-conforming women of history; also does interviews (“Witches Found”) with present-day women of the same type
  • Between the Worlds: really cool, in-depth podcast about the tarot; recently had Francesca Lia Block (!!!) on as a guest
3 Likes

Oh this sounds interesting, especially Witch the Vote!

1 Like

Listening to a lot of Ologies with Alie Ward lately. I really enjoy Alie’s narration, and the subjects are so interesting.

I’m also on the lookout for other similar podcasts! I definitely tend to prefer hosts/narrators who are women, but it’s not a deal breaker. Also prefer podcasts that tend to have a feminist or queer lense.

1 Like

If you’re a Harry Potter person do you know about Witch, Please (possibly my favorite podcast ever)? Not really active anymore, but tons of great content.

3 Likes

Oh and I’m definitely saving this tarot one to look into. I am tarot curious but extremely ignorant.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of that but what a fabulous name! Is it just generally “Harry Potter discussion” or is there a more specific theme?

1 Like

It is two Canadian feminist lady scholars who reread HP from a loving but very critical lens and often drink wine, eat chips, and mention their cats.

4 Likes

I LOVE THAT PODCAST. I was so sad when I listened to all of it and there was noooo moreeee.
Now I’m wanting to listen again, lol.

2 Likes

Hannah McGregor does other cool stuff though! I love Secret Feminist Agenda, and am working on the new Good Place one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also there is The Gayly Prophet, which she shows up on an episode of.

2 Likes

I have heard of it, I think it was featured on an episode of Unladylike. I’m pretty done with Harry Potter as a whole, I think. It brought me a lot of joy for many years, but it doesn’t seem to give that joy anymore, especially with JKR being so problematic.

Not to dissuade anyone from their enjoyment! Just not for me anymore.

3 Likes

That is definitely fair. I weirdly still enjoy it, but mediated through people who straight up call her trash :slight_smile:

I think you would probably really really like Secret Feminist Agenda if you haven’t listened to that one. She mentions that she used to do a HP podcast, but otherwise when she talks about literature generally talks about intersectional feminist lit and torching the Canadian canon.

3 Likes

I’ve already gotten some recommendations from reading back through the thread, but I realized I have been chewing through my podcasts a lot faster lately so I was hoping for recommendations.

Current ones:
Ask Me Another
Code Switch
Death, Sex, & Money
Fresh Air
Man Up (which just finished it’s final season :sob:)
Mom And Dad Are Fighting
On Point
Planet Money
Radiolab
Stuff You Missed in History Class
The Double Shift
Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me

Newly added: Kind World, Stuff Mom Never Told You, Ologies with Alie Ward, LeVar Burton Reads

1 Like

Some of my favorites:

• Battle Tactics for the Sexist Workplace
  • GrownUpLand (mostly British comedy about being adults, can be very wholesome)
  • The Guilty Feminist (British comedy standup)
1 Like