What are you saying?

A spin-off from the marvelous “Why are you crying?” Let us also attempt to solve the equally exciting mystery: “What are you saying?”

NOTE: Failed "What are you saying"s often escalate to “Why are you crying.” That’s the rule, but I didn’t make it, so take it up with your deity.

8 Likes

“The people were so sad! Wreck it Ralph had ruined their building!”
“1 2 3 4 5!”
“Yes, all the people, 5 of them were sa–”
“12345!!!”
“…Yes, 12345?”
“12345???”
“What … are you saying?”

5 Likes

Following. Mine currently is still in the “angry shrill bird” phase, but in theory will eventually have words. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Eh. Eh. Eh. Eh. Yeeeeooooaaw!

5 Likes

Mem men
(This means I have to fix. .???)

4 Likes

Want dis. Want dis. (Absolute refusal to describe what he wants or say yes/no when I point to various objects he may be desiring.)

3 Likes

“so dooty!”
“So dirty?”
“So DOOTY!”
“Heros… duty?”
“So…dooty!!”

:no_mouth: Idk

4 Likes

Woof woof
Doot

4 Likes

One, two, six, eight, nine!
(Recently learned numbers are a thing. Doesn’t understand why they are a thing.)

Penis! Wall! Knee! Eye!
(Every single diaper change…)

5 Likes

Toddler PDM is good at making his demands clearly known. He has a few great ones though. My current favourite is says alligator instead of elevator.

6 Likes

P: Tell me about sindomes
Me: tell you about what?
P tell me about novel sindomes
Me: I’m sorry I don’t know what you are asking?
P: sindomes! The novel SINDOMES!
Me:???
P: tell me about the sindomes, you know them
Me: ???
P: ON THE TRAIN! WE HAVE TO ROLE PLAY!
Me: Oh, novel Coronavirus symptoms?
P: yes tell me! Waaaaa

Context: there is an announcement on the train that says something like “we all have a role to play keeping our community safe from novel coronavirus, wash your hands, etc, etc, and stay home if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.

15 Likes

I want to say “one of these is not like the other” but truly this is quite the grab bag. :joy:

It is always so cute to remember that the rote mundane things we filter out are SUPER IMPORTANT to little kids.

6 Likes

“Goodbye, Dangerous Mama!”

:sunglasses: Donno what he meant, but I’m feeling dangerous today.

9 Likes

We are trying to teach our almost 4 year old how to ask questions to have a conversation.
She usually does “What do you want to be when you grow up.” Then she responds she wants to be a doctor who helps babies when they are sick when you ask her.

Today she continued by asking my husband the names of all his coworkers. She got super excited when she heard names that are also the names of her friends. So then she asked questions about his work. So he told her a bit, and she would say things like “Can you tell me what is PCR?” and then “And how do you do that?” and then I hear “but what does gel freezes show you?” and Kevin explained gel electrophoresis. I was very proud of her.

Then she started screaming, and Drew started screaming, and life devolved again.

14 Likes

I just showed this to my (biologist) spouse and we decided that our four month old was probably asking the same thing* so he’s going to explain electrophoresis to her next time she’s awake :stuck_out_tongue:

*currently she mostly speaks in pterodactyl shrieks

12 Likes

What a cool peek into her developing mind!

3 Likes

Kevin always explained chemistry (or video games) to the babies. They just love to hear Daddy talk. So you should definitely tell your spouse to start up the biology lessons.

7 Likes

Mine
Referring to items like the green bag of compost garbage. As you may guess, this turned into tears

6 Likes

It’s really cute tho

1 Like

And it’s the first time he’s tried to express such a hard concept, so anything reasonable he says mine to, we’re giving him. Which just makes this harder.

He also reads junk mail and magazine (one. I have one) by staring at the food and going mmmmmmmmmmmm

7 Likes