Weekend Plans

Not being Christian, I still think the easter celebrations are my favorite - probably because they seem to involve:

• flowers
  • eating food - esp candy
  • adorable animals
  • colorful crafts
  • breakfast, the best meal
  • dressing up in cute colorful dresses

I think the christians were right to co-opt a bunch of pagan traditions for celebration, they’re way too fun to be lost to cultural hegemony.

6 Likes

I am also not Christian (though ex-Catholic, so, yannow) and I completely agree. When I think about things I liked about Catholicism, it was the pageantry and the feasts. So like, fuck yeah, I want me some Easter feasting. Egg hunts? Flowers? A breakfast feast? That is WHO I AM in a party.

4 Likes

In portland, usually on Easter we dress up like bunnies and ride around in a group of a few hundred as part of bunny on a bike. It’s been going on for 16 or 17 years.

https://bikeportland.org/2013/03/27/10th-annual-bunny-on-a-bike-ride-is-this-sunday-84734

Sad that’s not happening this year, what with gestures

2 Likes

I told Wizard yesterday that he should apply to jobs in Portland.

1 Like

well, we’re looking at probably 20-30% unemployment in oregon, so…

(eta: we had 150% more unemployment claims last week than the entire country usually has in a week.)

1 Like

Wizard’s work is easily remote and I can do mine from anywhere… so who knows. (He’s UX with a side of data science.)

1 Like

The best situation for tech workers here is get paid bay-area salaries and live in OR. Occasional flights to SF (only 1.2hrs) are still much less than the COL diff.

1 Like

Alas, our company figured that out and now lowers your salary if you move out of the Bay Area.

Still. It’d be nice to live in an area where you could anguish about whether or not to save up for a home as opposed to it just being Nope.

Oh yeah, I’m also attending my family’s Zoom seder. Probably while there is chametz literally in the oven and/or rising on top of the fridge. I’m a terrible Jew.

3 Likes