Vidja Games - They'll Rot Yer Brain!

I second cozy grove as an Indy alt to animal crossing. Has some similar vibes to spirit Farer too.

4 Likes

I love Cozy Grove so much, but I played it on my phone. Any recs for similar games for iPhone?

1 Like

I’m looking for switch games that I would like. I’m currently playing Zelda Breath of the Wild and I like it. It’s the first game I’ve played where there is a just a big world and you can run around anywhere you want. I normally only play the lego games. I’ve played all of them that were out by 2016/2017 - star wars, indiana jones, harry potter, batman, marvel, jurassic park, etc. I also used to have a wii and the only game I had for it was the new super mario world and I beat all the levels. The only real “adult” type game I’ve played is Alice: Madness returns. It is dark but whimsical at the same time and I love it. Any recs for other games that I might like?

5 Likes

How do you all play video games?

Console or PC (or other - is there another option I might not be thinking of)?

Do you play one game start to finish or do you dabble around several games?

How much play time do you get in a week and when?

2 Likes

Console or PC - mainly on my PC through Steam, though I also have City of Heroes not through Steam and was playing Breath of the Wild on my Switch for a while.

Do you play one game start to finish or do you dabble around several games? - Usually I focus on one game with plot (Vampire the Masquerade as a retro throw back and Witcher 3 are recent ones) and then I have Banished (city builder/resource management type game) and Don’t Starve (another resource management type game with a darker, kind of Victorian goth kinda vibe) to dabble with when I’m killing a little bit of time. Recently I’ve been playing the shit out of Rimworld so that’s been getting all my attention.

How much play time do you get in a week and when? - A while ago I realized that, given the daily cycle of my household, if I haul my butt out of bed I can play video games in the mornings with relatively little interruption. Sometimes I can play in the after work/before Kiddo bedtime window. Then I usually play after Kiddo’s bedtime. Hm, I should look up my stats on Steam for how many hours I’ve played Rimworld since I got it, I have no idea how much that is.

Edit: If anyone wants to become Steam friends just shoot me a DM.

5 Likes

Oro please let Partner know that Oxygen not included is AMAZING.

Meerkat I will send a dm!

3 Likes

HAHAHA
GOOD!!!
I think she might have FINALLY burned herself out on it. After playing UNTOLD hours of it.

2 Likes

Console or PC (or other - is there another option I might not be thinking of)?

Exclusively via Switch console. My laptop is a Chromebook, and my desktop doesn’t have a video card and is really only set up for art and editing.

Do you play one game start to finish or do you dabble around several games?

When I’m playing a game I really like, I tend to spend 80% of my game time on that game, and then 20% of my game time on smaller things, like checkin’ in on other games. But it’s usually a max of (3), and never more than one really big or intense game at a time.
AKA I would play Zelda, but still maybe play Cozy Grove a little bit. Or I’ll play Subnautica, but have a little Moonlighter diversion.

How much play time do you get in a week and when?

I play a lot LOL.
I also am unemployed for a while and have no children.
Do not compare to me.

5 Likes

Not comparison. Life goals, for when Kiddo is older. :laughing:

1 Like

PC. Sometimes I borrow Rodeo’s Switch.

I get obsessed with one primary game, but often drop it or switch games around based on energy or time.

During long boring meetings, when I’m slacking at work, and when my kid is asleep.

3 Likes

i can’t dm you for some reason. can you send me your steam name?

1 Like

Just messaged you.

1 Like

How I play -

• Mostly PC, very occasionally console (usually for a specific title like Pokemon or a party game).
  • My wife is a console-only gamer who largely plays RPGs where she can a) be a female character and b) ideally romance other female characters. She plays a lot of AC: Odyssey & Valhalla and Dragon Age.

One or various games -

• I usually jump around a bit, focusing on one for awhile and then jumping to another. Sometimes I’ll try to complete a campaign mode or certain amount of storyline. With RPGs sometimes I will ragequit on puzzles, especially jumping puzzles. Eventually I look up a tutorial and follow it, but I like to try to solve it first.
  • My wife will play RPGs through many times, making different choices/romances/skill trees. I think it’s kinda like comfort reading a familiar book.

How much time -

• Not as much as I used to, but probably 5 hours a week, or maybe about 20 hours a month? Some nights not at all and some nights 3 hours at a time. Definitely more often if a new pack has released & I am eager to play it. My wife’s time is similar if not more, she stays up later than I do. So mostly weeknights, maybe weekends if we need chill out time.
  • Solo gaming for me is basically in the same time category as reading or tv series watching, so if I am doing a lot of one, I tend to do less of the others.
  • I often use multiplayer games to socialize with distant friends, so it falls into “night with friends” time category.
  • Though my wife and I both think of ourselves as gamers, we play totally different genres and styles. There’s no pressure to game together, which is interesting because I have definitely experienced relationship peer pressure to play certain games or factions in other relationships.

Currently our household has: 1 PS2 (mine, solely for DDR & some Inuyasha games); 1 PS3 (Charrin’s); 1 PS4 (Charrin’s); 1 gaming-ish desktop (shared PC, though Charrin only uses it for business stuff); 1 gaming laptop (mine). I want to get us a Switch at some point though I think mostly it’ll be me gaming with it, and eventually we will probably get a PS5. Charrin has actually replaced the PS3 at least once because of games tied to that console & not available on PS4.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I am downloading a cute beekeeping game. I will report back.

6 Likes

Report: have played for hours, zoned out completely lol. Cute music that I wish was more prominent. Very light on the instructions. Lots of crafting gadgets that I wish looked a bit more distinct from each other. I get the sense, though, that there’s no way to do anything wrong, just slower or less efficient. Which I love for casual gameplay such as my own

8 Likes

I need a new game. Halp.
Switch is my console.

7 Likes

Zelda breath of the wild. I’m not a gamer person but I love it. I may just be slow at things but I’ve been playing for a month and still feel like I have a few months of game play ahead of me to find everything and complete all of the quests.

2 Likes

I love BOTW! Tragically i have already played it

3 Likes

I cant remember what sorts of games you like, so here are some random recs.

Wytchwood is a cute find stuff to fulfill quests to move the storyline along game (is there a technical term for these?) that both @noodle and I have played and liked.

Cozy Grove is the same kind of game but less well executed. Helping find things to put cute bears’ spirits to rest.

I Am Setsuna is a turn based RPG with the same battle system as Final Fantasy 7. Your a guy accompanying a woman who has been chosen as the world’s sacrifice to keep monsters away on her journey. Annoying that you’re the guard guy and not the woman. Very pretty. Just started playing so don’t know much more than that.

Civ 6. It’s Civ, it’s on the Switch. I don’t know that I would want to play it in handheld mode.

Earthbound and Earthbound Origins as part of the Switch online NES and SNES games. Classic quirky turn based RPG.

Pikmin 3. Guide little guys around to solve puzzles and fight bad bug guys.

ETA these are games that I like. So if anyone has any recs like them I would love to hear.

5 Likes