Today I Learned

7 Likes

“I immediately went to the zoo director and I said ‘We have offended a nation’.”

7 Likes

Dead white blood cells are what turns mucus yellow when you’re sick

13 Likes

I just googled this to confirm because it sounded so wild!

7 Likes

13 Likes

7 Likes

Some genes were actually renamed because Excel kept formatting them as dates.

16 Likes

I can so see this. We should rename HSAs for the same reason (not dates, but always reformats as HAS).

8 Likes

Are we sure she’s not an iceberg in disguise? Pretty suspicious! :laughing:

5 Likes

I have a mild obsession with mugwort after the crazy spiritual dreams it gave me a couple of times, but it is soooo bitter that I never thought people would eat it as a food! Now I’m dying to try this!

7 Likes

Sunglasses

I’ve actually known this for a while but now it’s totally reinforced; getting your glasses/sunglasses professionally adjusted at an optometrist can make all the difference in the world (mine does it for free). I bought a very expensive pair of Kate Spade sunglasses with prescription lenses at my optometrist a few years ago when I had to suddenly spend the balance on a limited-use FSA. They feel like they’re made for my face and are so comfortable!

Now those sunglasses are discontinued but I was about to find them new for $40 on eBay so I got another pair but they felt cheap and horrible! I tightened up the screws which helped a lot but after the optometrist adjusted them they are so nice. Next year when I get my vision hardware allowance I’ll get new lenses for them and keep them in my hiking backpack.

Also, polarized lenses make a huge difference, too. With the polarized lenses I don’t see the reflection of the dash in my car windshield. The picture is so crisp! Also they have a coating on the backside to reduce glare and then I don’t see the reflection of my face on the inside of the sunglass lens. If you even have a bit of prescription and have vision hardware coverage you can get prescription sunglasses through your insurance :sunglasses:

6 Likes

17 Likes

The video will make you cry. It still makes me cry every time.

The audience members either the kids he rescued or the kids of those kids, the whole audience. Absolutely amazing.

11 Likes

I will watch it when I’m not at work!

1 Like

Oh gosh. That was beautiful.

2 Likes

Countries further north and south of the equator are enlarged to create most flat maps. I knew this on an intellectual level.

But this is how countries/continents are ACTUALLY sized. I honestly had zero idea the distortion was this dramatic.

16 Likes

I knew my country was bigger relative to other countries than shown but, uh, i didnt realise Russia was so small. Or antarctica. No wonder people are confused by how sparse our population is. Or that they can waltz around a dozen european countries before lunch.

9 Likes

We really should all be looking at globes.

9 Likes

I miss everyone having globes at their houses. My favorite thing visiting houses as a kid was to find someone’s globe and see where they had worn spots from touching it. I guess that’s one of my “getting old” things. Intense nostalgia about globes. I’m to blame too though, we haven’t bought one. I really ought to! Maybe try to find out without the USSR still shown like the one I nearly bought at a garage sale a couple years ago :joy:

14 Likes

9 Likes