Today I Learned

Indeed LOL but one can still dream right? I am not against it either but I find it unfair to women because if a man is unhappy he can just get another wife while you are not allowed that. I wouldn’t mind it if polyandry was also an option or as you said each could choose their type of ´marriage’. Also, In my experience, It was often implemented poorly and a great source of injustice (wives treated differently, as well as their kids while the husband is supposed to treat them equally) leading to a lot of resentment and even abuse among ‘members of the same family’. And to be clear, there was polygamy in my culture before Islam so I think it is rooted in cultural practices that are often patriarchal and it needs to be questioned but it is at the intersection of culture and religion so hard to change …. I think Morocco adressed it well by having legislation on it to protect the women and children. I’m not sure Humans can be trusted to be fair and equal.

I didn’t either. A while ago I got in a ‘dispute’ with someone on Quora stating that it is MANDATORY to recite it correctly. I am glad that you were exposed as a young girl to positive images of women and learned that women also deserved pleasure. I am from a very conservative tribe with a heavy culture (I love part of it but carry the other as a heavy burden). They happened to convert early to Islam and spread it in several parts of Africa so many of the things we were taught were really cultural but religion was always used to uphold them. It is slowly changing, especially now with women educated both in school and in religion.

6 Likes

:joy: this made my day

8 Likes

Hahaha <3

3 Likes

Honestly if I was in my 20s forced to live with my parents I’d also get some luxury goods.

14 Likes

I’d spend as little as possible so as to leave ASAP :laughing:

10 Likes

So much makeup and shoes those years

6 Likes

Samesies :joy:

5 Likes

Australia basically has bird raccoons :joy:

7 Likes

We have a wide variety of burd raccoons.

Also kookaburras will absolutely steal the food from your hand.

Listening to the american reporter is weird.

6 Likes

Australian animals just after mischief and not DEATH is a nice change to hear about :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

lol right? not having to live with my family is the ultimate luxury :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

22 Likes

What an absolute powerhouse of a woman! And she’s using what she has towards such incredible good <3

7 Likes

Incredible. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Thought I’d share since many people here have expressed interest in understanding this kind of thing more! I recommend reading the comments section as well. It’s very important to check out content like this in addition to positivity disability stuff, which is always a lot more popular for obvious reasons.

Please don’t @ me upsetting stories in response! Feel free to share them but it’s hard when I get avalanched with other people’s “I heard” stories <3 This is meant more for educational/awareness purposes for people who would like to understand what it’s like! TY! <3 <3 <3

18 Likes

Hard to decide what thread this was meant for…

4 Likes

Thank you! Finally having a good enough day to watch it.

Giving me strength heading into a miserable medical appointment

my discrimination complaint

Where I might not be treated even though there is no reason to treat me, but two other clinics declined to treat me because they are scared of my unrelated disability

13 Likes

Thanks for sharing, just watched. Appreciate your perspective on this :heart:

5 Likes

<3 I will be sending you love and strength today. I hope it is over as quickly as possible and as minimally terrible as it can be. <3

Thanks so much for watching it @Bernadette ! That means a lot to me. <3

7 Likes