Today I Learned

Oh I like that very much.

5 Likes

I remember splats on windshields, but I thought I didn’t see it any more because I don’t go on long car rides any more. Apparently there are other reasons too.

11 Likes

We all know prices are going up, but this really looks at the specifics of running a restaurant. I found it really interesting. Why the Cost of Dinner Has Soared - The New York Times

5 Likes

14 Likes

20 Likes

I love it!

2 Likes

I saw it and I couldn’t remember what thread yours was in but I knew I HAD to find it :joy:

3 Likes

Today I learned about Beryl Markham, the first person to fly solo and nonstop across the Atlantic from Britain to North America.

12 Likes

ohhh i remember her from “out of africa!” how cool to read about her real life!

1 Like

There are caves full of cheese in Missouri because the USDA wants to better regulate the price of milk

12 Likes

Only now, it’s for use in food assistance programs. In the latest cold storage report, the USDA shows a little less than 1.5 billion pounds of cheese in storage, along with 355 million pounds of butter, 211 million pounds of pecans and just less than a billion pounds of french fries (it stores a lot of stuff!).

Whoa!!

7 Likes

I’m gonna post this interview with Hank Green about the new climate bill here, he does a good job of breaking it down, as always.

ETA - Haha, it’s much more positive than this thumbnail suggests.

4 Likes

I learned that scammers know who our bank is and that they will call and say they’re the bank’s “fraud department.” We figured it out without too much trouble, but they did get the last 4 of DH’s social out of me.

Never had them call before WITH the name of our bank. And we’ve just been through the cancelling of a cc because of fraud.

So, we’re going to freeze our credit.

Be WARE!

7 Likes

They may not have known the bank beforehand, just go with the popular ones in your region, and play the odds.

3 Likes

Maybe not. But it occurred to me that since our bank is also where our mortgage is, it’s a public record.

Also, since we just replaced our cc because of attempted fraud, if it’s the same people, they’d already know the bank. And, I think that maybe what it was, as it seemed like the guy might be referencing that fraud, one of the first “alarms” that went off…?

2 Likes

I stayed briefly on an indian reservation, years ago. They had usda foods.

It used to be that the government published reports of what was available as an excess. Old-time frugality books recommend looking for this “market report” as a way to know what you should be able to find on sale.

I’m not sure how much of the food is used for soup kitchens. Some of it is probably available through FEMA after disasters?

1 Like

whoa California to ban sale of new gasoline cars by 2035 (gift link)

3 Likes

17 Likes

WHAT

3 Likes

I took this picture just before dark a week or two ago! I’d heard that bees slept in flowers but I’d never seen it before, and it’s super cute.

12 Likes