Today I Learned

Back in the day when I still had my 1990 Mazda 626 I had one of those tape deck things. I connected it to my Sony Diskman and played CDs IN MY CAR :scream:

I also had one of those FM broadcaster things at one point, as Marcela said, it’s hard in places with a lot of stations, but I lived in the middle of nowhere then and it worked great!

9 Likes

Ooh, I did that! ('79 Toyota celica). Remember what a big deal it was when they came out with dismans (diskmen?) with anti-skip protection so you actually could use them on the go?

10 Likes

YES!!!

Mine was metallic light blue. I kind of wish I still had it? Except I got rid of most of my actual CDs, so I don’t know what I would use it for. :joy:

7 Likes

I still remember getting my first anti skip diskman for running. I was so friggin excited.

6 Likes

Yep!

3 Likes

At first I was confused in redhead but I thought about it and I think this look must work for people with naturally dark lashes. I could see it looking good on my daughter but on me, with eyelashes so light you don’t see them… I don’t know. I think I’ll stick with putting on all the mascara and all the lashes. And also because I LOVE mascara. :star_struck:

7 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

17 Likes

I guess I thought redheads used red mascara? Now that you say that? But as I’m typing this I feel like I’ve never actually seen that in stores so…yeah would probably look kind of odd, haha. My hair is dark brown so it blends easier.

4 Likes

Well I can’t speak for all redheads but I think the best we have is brown mascara. But actually it’s hard to find brown mascara. I have one, it’s OK. Sometimes I use it. But I love the drama of very black mascara so… that’s me. If I wanted a more natural look I would use the brown. Or if companies made better mascaras in brown maybe I would be tempted. It’s hard out there for a redhead. Don’t even get me started on trying to get the right color for eyebrow pencils.

10 Likes

TIL there’s an NFL lineman obsessed with climbing! As one of the bigger climbers at my climbing gym, this was very cool to see.

10 Likes

That was a great read! V cool.

3 Likes

TIL that OFF doesn’t last forever.
I sprayed some on at the beginning of a ride in the worst mosquitoes / deer flies I’ve encountered this year. I was the only one being bitten. A friend had some Natrapel and that put an end to the biting.
Does OFF (DEET) expire? Go bad if stored in heat?
I don’t know but that can is going in the bin for hazardous waste recycle.

6 Likes

23 Likes

I had no idea that you’re supposed to maintain your Birkenstocks with cork sealer! Mine are about 20 years old (haven’t been used every summer) and I just had to glue the peeling edges for the second time and this time I also sealed the cork. There’s a chunk missing that I filled with Shoe Goo.

I also learned through reviews that the new ones don’t last as long as the old ones. Apparently they harvest the cork earlier :frowning:

4 Likes

Holy giant bison Batman! This is awesome.

9 Likes

so cool

For people who have regional problems playing the video, this should get you there.

4 Likes

Today I learned: There is a very long history of women climbers and mountaineers which dates back to the beginning of the practice! I don’t know why every climbing magazine/blog/podcast insists that the sport was “male dominated” until about five seconds ago.

Awesome Photos

e867b3b423044dc3dfd54c2ab7d11f2f

Twofer here, a woman and a man with a disability!

5e6fe4fc9289cc3578cb3e3d1c33cd66

th-2349353422

TL;DR - Overstating historical sexism in a way that erases all female accomplishment is my pet peeve.

19 Likes

This is such a consistent problem. Also shows up in the sf writing space too. There’s a book titled “How to suppress women’s writing” which had a section about how there tended to be one female exemplar who shows up in the anthologies from each time period, and everyone else is forgotten as part of the popular discourse - especially if women weren’t getting their “fair share” awards at those particular times because they weren’t writing the stuff that people considered worthy of awards because it was the wrong type of fiction (e.g. fantasy instead of hard sf, romance angle, or ‘trying to write like a guy’ and not staying in her lane). There is a continued loss of knowledge (e.g. new stories not in dialogue with old ones) and new women joining the space assume that they are newcomers, when in fact they were there all along.

James Nicoll had a series on Tor.com on the topic focusing on the 70s. Fighting Erasure: Women SF Writers of the 1970s, Part X | Tor.com

ETA: How to Suppress Women's Writing - Wikipedia is a short list of the ways discussed in the book

9 Likes

It’s so frustrating! I feel like both “types” of spaces erase women in different ways. The conservative historical sources and mainstream movies, etc. erase women by just…not mentioning them all that much, or writing them out of stories even when they did play major roles, but then more progressive sources (I think in an effort to show they understand inequity) wayyyy overly hammer home how downtrodden women are which ends up overshadowing the accomplishment. They focus so much on victimization, like article headlines stating,“The Women History Forgot” or “The Overlooked Women of Whatever Subject” like STOP PRESENTING THEM THAT WAY! “Don’t you understand re-branding?!” I want to shout at the writer. Like if you want to change the message about women you have phrase it like the reader should already know who they are because they’re so important and integral to the subject, not like: look at these easily shifted to the sidelines women! It makes women look weaker and less important IMO, and downplays their involvement in things.

15 Likes