Tiny Complaints

Possibly. I always have non-GMO cornstarch in house. What this caused me to decide was that I’ll just mix my own in the future. It’s baking soda, salt, and cornstarch or maybe cream of tartar – all things I stock anyway…

1 Like

TIL what is in baking powder

4 Likes

make your own baking powder – smitten kitchen.

Would need the cream of tartar for the reaction. Otherwise, it’s not going to rise unless you have an acid in the batter, basically like using plain baking soda.

3 Likes

Yeah, when I was doing the AIP diet last summer, I couldn’t have baking powder because of the cornstarch, so I made my own with baking soda and cream of tartar when I needed to bake. Not having the cornstarch didn’t seem to hurt anything, but I’m sure not having the cream of tartar would!

3 Likes

The cornstarch is probably just to keep it from clumping.

2 Likes

Cream of tartar can be kind of expensive, so it would be interesting to cost it out and see if it’s actually cheaper to make baking ng powder on your own.

(I use cream of tartar for homemade play dough, snickerdoodles, and boiling off burned on stuff in pans.)

4 Likes

I just tried to register at McCormick spices (mccormick.com) for an account. They wanted to verify my email – fine. They sent me a 6 digit code via my email. I entered it, and the button to submit it isn’t working. Arg, okay.

So, I go to another computer and try it and no go.

Tell me how this improves your customer relations? Really?

3 Likes

Someone’s car alarm has been going off for multiple hours at a time, every day, for the past week. I don’t know if they are working on the car, and that is why? Or? They are oblivious? Or? Don’t care about noise? Or??? And it’s that annoying car alarm that is like wooooooop wooooooop bam bam bam waaaooo waaaooooo waaaaooooo, over. and. over.

9 Likes

A letter from the city: Surprise! There’s a new Personal Income Tax on the rich that started in 2021 but we never told you about it and now you owe money. If you don’t file and pay within 45 days of the date this letter was mailed, we’re gonna figure out presumptive taxes and impose fines!!

This was handled in a spectacularly shitty way, just like how the Portland Arts Tax was handled a few years ago. Now in addition to federal and state taxes, I have to file and pay two separate city taxes.

7 Likes

Ooof that sucks. At least my astronomical NYC taxes get calculated and filed through my NY state return, so there isn’t any extra work or surprises.

2 Likes

According to Reddit, I already owe interest and late fees since the due date was last April! If I write a letter they’ll waive the late fee but not the interest.

They only bothered to tell CPAs but NO ONE ELSE KNEW ABOUT THE TAX. If you call, they say it was on their website and “ignorance is not an excuse”. Seriously, WTF?!?!

9 Likes

for the shadowy one’s bday we got pizza from the favourite local expensive pizza place, and they didn’t put on the right drizzle sauce for my favourite pizza and it’s very sad without it.

10 Likes

I accidentally pinched/crushed my thumb pad moving my kitchen aid. There’s already a giant bruise/blood blister forming, and it’s numb and hurts too much to ice. But it doesn’t seem like something worth getting medical care for? I don’t know what they’d even do since it’s not like it’s broken. But I’m feeling very sorry for myself.

PSA to check and make sure the person who used the kitchenaid before you actually locked it open/shut!

13 Likes

A water pipe burst in our house yesterday. What a mess.

14 Likes

I’m so sorry, that sucks a LOT.

3 Likes

Bird shit all over my porch chair. Like, EPIC amounts of bird shit.

4 Likes

I posted a WTB ad for a piece of exercise equipment and a guy responded. He said he’s in Vancouver. I said great, I’m in North Portland today and am driving the hatchback, where in Vancouver? Turns out he meant Vancouver BC instead of across the river from Portland, and suggested shipping the 85 pound beast. Um, I don’t think that will work for me.

6 Likes

It is 7:56AM on Monday and a business I emailed Saturday evening has not replied yet. How dare.

4 Likes

Don’t they even know who you are??

1 Like