Things that make you feel rich

I saw this excellent tweet:

And then I thought: what makes me feel wealthy that doesn’t explicitly have to do with net worth or income?

• Not calculating prices at the grocery store
  • Drinking clean water out of my tap (!) - god I hate boiling water and filling pottery
  • Not payday/bill juggle game
  • Doing laundry without having to plan a whole trip around it (thanks to in-building laundry)
  • Really long home dinners with friends

Any other examples?

12 Likes

Eating something with fresh herbs.

9 Likes

Oh my gosh, SO many things:

• Having the time to cook an involved meal
  • Having the time to devote to crafts
  • Having my own comfortable space that I control
  • My personal library
  • Sitting on the porch with coffee or tea
  • Long walks in the evening
  • My houseplants
  • Dressing up

It turns out that for me, “wealth” feels like two things:

1. Choice – having options & control instead of being forced into something because I’m hustling to the bone or don’t have the money for it (so time for cooking involved things, etc)
  2. “Fancy” stuff, for whatever reason I’ve deemed it fancy – like houseplants and books are apparently Fancy People things to me

ETA: NICE CHEESE

11 Likes

Just paying my bills. When they are due (or before!). The full amount. No juggling, no waiting, no worrying, no stressing. Bill arrives, bill gets paid, move on with the day.

9 Likes

Showers. There was a period of my life where I didn’t have a working shower/tub and bathed kiddo in a big Rubbermaid bin :slight_smile:

7 Likes

8 foot ceilings! After spending 3 years in a basement apartment, being able to fully extend my arms overhead without touching the ceiling is so luxurious.

9 Likes

Taking a taxi or uber.

5 Likes

Having pets and being able to properly care for them no matter how much it costs.

7 Likes

Being able to give generously and randomly. I’ve always had a charity line item in my budget, but I used to have to be more deliberate about it. Now I can just throw money at people and causes when so moved.

7 Likes

-Fancy cheese.
-A fridge full of nutritious fresh foods
-Living spaces with natural light
-Air conditioning.
-Filling up my entire gas tank each time I go to the station
-Naps in the afternoon

7 Likes

There’s a few that I often think of and I’m super thankful about:

• hot showers on demand
  • a yard to garden (well this is a real one because I can own property)
  • not having to be conscious of payday or when bills are due besides making sure it goes ok
  • being able to buy random new things at the grocery store
7 Likes

I love this!

• Having access to clean water/enough water to shower every day.
  • Riding Amtrak (Amtrak is not extravagantly nice, traveling just makes me feel rich because my family never went Anywhere growing up) *similarly, flying makes me feel 1% rich lol.
  • finding the free time (and buying supplies) to deep clean my living space
  • buying gifts
  • buying and consuming vitamins (arguably a waste of money according to the science, i guess?)
  • having a gym membership
  • having health insurance (thru my parents, but will be able to pick up insurance thru my current job in the future if i stay on)
  • working at a job that’s in an air conditioned office and has a breakroom/kitchen
  • owning a sewing machine (I think it was around $200, but my mom gave it to me)
  • owning a nice bike (I bought it for $530 in college)
  • my macbook pro
  • college degree (paid for with loans, but the fact that I have it, it’s still an asset in my life and socioeconomically)
5 Likes

socks without holes/darns (as noted elsewhere)
homemade meal components in the freezer for low effort & guilt free mid-week dinners
being one container ahead on olive oil, shampoo, peanut butter
books I haven’t read yet on my bookcase
favourite books available to be reread on my bookcase

5 Likes

Being able to have my own business
Being home with Bobbin
Knitting
Yummy morning coffee

5 Likes

Ooooh yes. Slow luxurious mornings with my husband and coffee.

4 Likes
  • Buying coffee from a local roaster and knowing the farm/region/country of origin.
  • Being confident my 5 year old car will start every time.
  • Facebook Memories reminding me about the numerous overseas trips.
  • Travel in general - weekends away, international flights (well not since Baby PDM)
  • Replacing things that break.
  • Working from home
  • Fast internet
2 Likes

Fancy-ass homemade breakfast sandwiches.

3 Likes

Being able to take a “sabbatical”.

3 Likes

This is more a general category of things - being rich enough to actively introduce difficulty and discomfort into your life:

• camping
  • any kind of tough fitness class/activity (boxing, obstacle courses, marathons)
  • making things from scratch - especially baking.
7 Likes

You nailed it.

Also: green veg & herbs from my own garden. That represents leisure time, excess cash and ownership of dirt.

5 Likes