Things that make you feel rich

Yes.

2 Likes

Packaged food, ie the cookies I just ate
Taxis, via rail, airplane rides
Lazy days
Drinks other than water and tea
Never having to eat out of a not-dish (cue memories of eating out of an empty marg container or half melted off brand Tupperware)
My sofa
Swimming

1 Like

I’m going to add to this - having a white collar job with enough flexibility that car issues don’t matter. Apparently I left the dome light on in my car over the weekend and my car was DEAD this morning when I tried to go to work. No problem…just emailed work to say I’ll be WFH today so I can deal with getting a jump on my own time.

3 Likes

We’re going on a trip.** An honest-to-god, pay someone else for a place to sleep for three nights trip. I’m looking at places to stay, and while it’s a very low-cost area, for the first time in my life price is not the sole consideration, to be balanced only by estimated odds of getting shot. It’s weird.

** Pretty sure we haven’t done this since our honeymoon. On which we camped.

2 Likes

That is a good one - flexible work - I don’t have a fixed start or end time, and a nominal 38 hour week where actual hours worked doesn’t influence my actual pay cheque - as long as job gets done.

Another one struck me as Baby PDM and I listed to late 90s early 2000s punk on the way to daycare/work this morning - Netflix Subscription. All the songs ever with no ads.
Edit: I meant spotify. Mistake left so comments below make sense.

1 Like

Your Netflix gets you music???

1 Like

Hahaha oh my. Whoops. Spotify.
No netflix while driving. My car doesn’t even have a radio with a touch screen.

Things going from emergency to minor inconvenience. Like I recently bought some meat and cheese that turned out to be bad. I had to throw it away and it was a minor inconvenience. That made me feel super rich because there was a time when having to throw away that amount of high cost food would have been a massive stressor financially. Like I’d be scrambling to figure out how we were going to get through to Friday instead of just…going to another store to pick up something else. Ditto for replacing things that break, or buying new furniture, or paying for an unimpressive meal out. That stuff is almost heartbreaking when you’re skint.

12 Likes

Having time and mental space to do yoga and appreciate my body. And courtesy of the internet, it’s free! But still makes me feel rich.

4 Likes

In this heat, having an air conditioning unit in my bedroom so I can fall asleep and the ability to take cool showers whenever I want to cool myself down.

6 Likes

Being able to change things in my house and garden according to my taste and desires: minor renovations, landscaping, furniture… As a child I never thought I would be wealthy enough to own a house like this, let alone afford to do things like BIFL furniture and outsourcing landscaping work.

8 Likes

Being able to afford a house in a neighborhood that has lots of trees, easy walking distance to a nearly 100 acre park, plus biking distance to a nature preserve and another park that’s 300 acres, all while being within an easy drive of grocery stores, libraries, etc.

8 Likes

Reading a (library) book halfway through and deciding not to finish it, because the library is right around the corner, and I have a whole shelf of unread stories. There is no scarcity of words, and I am not obligated to read everything that comes into the house, even if I spent my own money or asked the library to bring it to my branch.

12 Likes

Doing my grocery shopping from my kitchen bench on my laptop and having it delivered to me the next day. I am fancy.

10 Likes

I feel guilty when I request a book and then life gets busy and I don’t manage to get to the library to pick it up.

3 Likes

I think our library charges us a loonie (1 dollar) if we don’t pick up. But the shadowy one is very good about making sure that has never happened.

2 Likes

Being able to just say yes to invitations without doing the maths first.
Having a relatively nice bike that gets me all the places I need to go faster than a car.
Being able to be generous.
Not having to worry that the stupid things I occasionally do are going to end up in disaster, because I can usually pay money to fix it.
Having a job that is less tiring than any job I worked before graduating, but somehow pays me three times as much.

Also occasionally buying fancy smoked salmon for weekend lunch. Only very occasionally :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Mine definitely charges, so it is a mixture of expense and guilt.

I’m starting to be less guilty when I check out a book and return it unread, and instead classify that as “boosting circulation”

5 Likes

Cream cheese

1 Like

My car. It’s not fancy, it’s a gently used CRV and totally a mom car, but I was able to research what I wanted and ended up increasing how much we had planned to spend. It makes me happy to drive every time. I can nap in the back if I want to.

Car troubles being an inconvenience rather than a crisis. Having AAA and eventually dropping $$$ on a new car battery and a jump kit (probably moot with the new battery, but it’s a security blanket since my car is also our long distance driver for long trips).

Having a functional car opens up so many options when other stuff goes wrong in life.

5 Likes