The Unf*ck It Thread

Unf* ck yes! I stumbled across UfYH ages ago and it changed my life. Excited to try this approach again when things get overwhelming. Today I unf* cked:

-bin of the 12m baby clothes to remove summer things and make a list of what I’ll need to supplement with (sleepers and long sleeved onesies)
-baby handprint Christmas salt dough ornaments–now painted and glittered and in a box awaiting ribbon and off the counter
-Christmas tree taken down and all Christmas-related boxes put away in the basement
-pile of cardboard boxes broken down and organized in the basement

To Unf* ck:

-cat litter :frowning:
-floordrobe
-stuff and put away diapers and finish last load of laundry (by PUT IT AWAY!)
-sweep and mop upstairs (again, what’s with that?)

7 Likes

My wise advice in my old age is that basically a neat, clean house is only a fantasy until the kids grow up:)). Then it’s easy. When you are raising kids the days are long but the years are short. Enjoy this phase of your life. My mom told me that when I was in the thick of it and she was wise/right.

5 Likes

This is very wise. My childless relative was making some judgemental comments about my tidiness and I was torn between laughing so loudly it echoed thru the universe and maybe setting her hair on fire.

9 Likes

Today I got rid of the old litter box, cleaned the floor, and set up a new litter box. Cleaned out the fridge. Set aside a bunch of clothes that don’t serve me anymore, that will either go to the houseless camp down the road (depending on the needs) or on Buy Nothing.

6 Likes

I vote for setting her hair on Fire:))

4 Likes

I present for your consideration this strange loft space in our “guest bedroom”. Most of those boxes were packed in 2017, kept in storage for two years and then placed up here when we moved in.

I argued hard that putting them up there was a bad idea but it was complicated and there were people ignoring our boundaries with our stuff, so they ended up up there, where they have been untouched since.

They are full of personal documents and knickknacks. Stuff we need to sort through and shred, stuff we were given and find it hard to let go of, lots of textbooks, I’m not sure what else.

If we put a proper rail on it and had a ladder, we could use that space as a bed for guests and be able to use the room properly for ourselves (hello working from home), but it’s hard. We’d also need alternative storage for Mr Pancakes’s lego collection…

13 Likes

Oh hallo everyone. We do have a spring cleaning threads but this seems so much more appropriate to describe the the current state of my house.

9 Likes

I will pick up the random crap that has been in the hallway for way too long. I will do it today!

8 Likes

@frogger huzzah for the unfucking! I seem to remember the tumblr had some kind of process but I dont remember what

Last night and this morning I did a little bit more on the bookshelf. Are 2019 GRE books worth giving away or do i recycle?

4 Likes

Promise??? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I promise:)). I am 66 but of course it depends if you are in a relationship and if they are neat. My 3rd husband is a slob but I cleaned up after him. Still less messy than kids. I will soon be alone and it will be a piece of cake.

6 Likes

7 books posted to buy nothing, freeing up more space on the dreaded book shelf.

5 Likes

Husband is home today, so un :duck: ing is easier. I got the filing done at long last. And I was so vindicated in keeping those damn receipts and packaging, I DO need to return something. My messiness is validated oh no :joy: so the return has been moved to the closet because the baby was screaming (she wanted the PJs I’m returning because they are soft), so hopefully I don’t forget them… either way, off the main table at least :grimacing:

I still don’t know what to do with the cute/kitchy/utterly useless gift my brother gave me :woman_facepalming: Maybe I’ll use them as IG give aways on LilPups account. Hmmmmm. That would be cool but sounds like a lot of work lol.

I’m not sure what’s still up there, but I’m sitting down while the baby naps so I’m not getting up to find out :joy: this is why those “hot spots” stay so :duck: d up.

5 Likes

My parents’ house has not gotten cleaner. But to be fair, they filled their newfound free time with travel and work (mom got a FT job). And none of us are intuitive cleaners. More the “make a mess then (eventually) clean it up” type. ETA: obviously it’s not toys/artwork/school papers/clothes mess anymore, now it’s camping gear/kitchen mess/books they were reading or something like that.

5 Likes

Wooo! Here for the small wins. One less item on the table :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am slowly starting to begin the closet unfucking: I put a sweatshirt that I love but that was already tight before and is now definitely too small in the donate pile. As our closet is small, every removed piece of clothing is a bonus.

11 Likes

That is so hard :sob: Getting rid of things you loved that don’t work for you anymore, that is. Props for you :star2::star2::star2:

5 Likes

Oh yeah. The closet unfucking is going to involve a lot more mental unfucking than spatial unfucking, tbh.

9 Likes

This is very real. Good job getting it started! Man with 2020 not having anywhere to go, I’m really revisiting what I value in clothing.

6 Likes

I was doing a video chat with a friend last night and she shared that at the start of the pandemic she cleaned out her closet, which involved a lot of work clothes (worn, didn’t fit, etc) so now she needs new ones if/when they return to the office, but she had flat forgotten this! So…remember that you may need work clothes eventually, not just cozy sweats :grin:

5 Likes