The good things about 2020

I sold a house, moved closer to my parents, and decided to work part time again. All signs point to also buying a new house just a few weeks into 2021.

23 Likes

My town won a years-long battle to prevent woods from being razed to make way for a townhouse development.

22 Likes

Itā€™s been so nice to read everyoneā€™s responses. Maybe 2020 wasnā€™t a complete dumpster fire??? I just found this thread last night and itā€™s a fitting end to 2020 to read through it and focus on the positives. My list:

1. I left my job due to health issues really accelerating. But quitting has been a real positive as my workplace had become pretty toxic and I had pretty severe burnout and I could not really ā€œseeā€ either of those two things without leaving.

2. My health is slowly improving in fits and starts.

3. Related to #2, I have a new PT who is so good at working with where I am at now and gradually building.

4. I paid off my mortgage. There will be no payment taken out of my account in January or any other month.

5. Iā€™ve been able to re-connect with friends and be supportive when needed as well as accept support.

6. Due to being high risk, Iā€™ve been at home mostly since March. I have rested and rested and rested some more. Slowing down this year has been a gift.

7. My contact with online communities has been a true gift this year. Even when I donā€™t comment, just reading posts and having contact with others in the wider world while staying home has been a sanity saver.

8. Biden winning! Such a relief.

22 Likes
  • I stopped biting my nails! Turns out all it takes to break a 26-year habit is a global pandemic.
  • Weā€™ve gotten to a really solid financial place, in a year that I basically didnā€™t work. Took some important steps in committing to spending based on our values (related to where we spend our money and starting a consistent charitable donation practice)
  • Some personal revelations and growth. A lot more to be explored and learned in the future.
  • I grew almost 150 pounds of tomatoes in my front yard.
18 Likes

In no special order, things that were an unqualified successes:

• I officially graduated from my certification program.

• My favorite cousin got married, and I was able to spend the long weekend of wedding visiting with her, her (now) spouse, family, and friends. [Hurrah for February!]

• I got an official diagnosis of ADHD and started treatment that seems to be helping.

• Finished writing approximately 50-60% of a book on intentionally designed lives for dogs.

• Enjoyed 300+ days of walks and nature exploration with Muppet.

And some things that are somewhat mitigated, yet still good things:

• Visited the pup known as Burgertime and her first litter of puppies [Yay for January & trainer friend outside that program!]

• Biden/Harris victory

• Connecting with friends in whatever way safe/possible

• Either not having COVID or having a mild early or totally asymptomatic case (who knows?)

• Buying a used van for (future) trips

18 Likes

Lost a big part of feeling imposter feelings by taking over a new international role in my company in March. Being on the heart of IT organization, close to global c-suite, having managers and teams newly working with never met in RL, being (as always) the only woman in executive committee has worked out in a way I never ever expected. I got a lot of acknowledgement and respect by global and regional c-suite and so many sweet and positive responses from my team.

To find out, that I am able to build up and steer a remote team from 8 countries with all the cultural, processual and work experience differences, and having all participating in open respectful and fruitful teamwork together is THE ONE mind-blowing experience in 2020 for me.

I am so hoping that business travel will start again sometime in 2021 to visit all these great people.

Other than that:

• I eat a lot more vegetables and therefore healthier than before because I am now cooking daily

• I was able to have a personal training weekly until November before restricted by covid regularities.

• Meeting online with friend took away the effort of travel, finding the right restaurants etc. for meet ups. As a result, we spoke more often and more meaningful.

• I met two times with two close friends for a long weekend.

• Went to a concert in Hamburgā€™s Elbphilharmonie with the conductor Teodor Currentzis, it was an extraordinary evening. :orange_heart:

• While covid was slowing a little bit in summer, I had a lovely trip to Sweden.

• My net worth increased due to not traveling, not eating out and not buying clothes.

• I learned a lot about myself, living alone gave a lot of room for self-reflection :green_heart:

• Got substantial pay raise in 2020 and already contracted the same for 2021

• Learned to set and stay with boundaries in regard to working hours. Yes, I am working more than 40 hours a week but more restricted and reasonable than in the beginning of covid. :hibiscus:

• Found a lot of good podcasts and audiobooks for listening while walking a lot

• And found this place with all of you, reading this meaningful, funny and enjoyable communication. :heart: :hibiscus: :+1:

24 Likes

for me the best thing that ever happend to me this year is that I strated working finally , not in my domain but still I got my first penny on my own

10 Likes

So much less social interaction is the plus for me. I grew up being social, but it was forced and not natural. Iā€™m perfectly happy interacting this way instead of in person. I can do in person, but I like it a lot less than I used to.

Iā€™m grateful to COVID as a closet introvert.

2 Likes