The good things about 2020

I love practicing gratitude. I really need to get in the habit of doing it more.

• I more than doubled my goal of $500 contributed to my tIRA. When I get my final check for the year and make the last contribution, I will have contributed $1,200 total.

• Work is going good, and since we got some PPP money Boss started giving us extra money each paycheck. So since May, I’ve gotten an extra $300/month. I’m sure gonna miss that next year.

• My health insurance is only going up by $24/month.

• I’ve kept my Duolingo streak unbroken.

• I paid off a credit card with my stimulus check.

• I was able to pay cash for the new tires on my car.

• Biden won the election.

• I’m (hopefully) done with fillings. So my dental costs will decrease next year.

• We only lost one client this year, and we gained seven more!

• And most importantly, so far no one in my household has gotten sick. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Just a lot of things to be grateful for this year.

26 Likes

This was really nice to read amid so much negativity flowing around in the news. :heart:

Work has ended up being far better than I expected it to be earlier in the year. I was expecting to be unemployed, but instead I am having a good sales/commission year, and will be quite happy with my income. This will also allow me to save more than I anticipated.

I paid off my house in seven years saving lots of interest.

My friends and family have all stayed healthy.

I’m sure there’s lots more…

19 Likes

More!

• We moved Duckling to a daycare close to home which he loves, has made friends at, and makes our lives more local and feel like we’re part of the community
  • I started bike riding again!
19 Likes
  • I quit my job and FIRE’d! :smiley:
  • We lost our dear cat Lada but now have two sweet kittens who fill our house with life :heart:
  • Got a new car that feels so much safer than the old one
  • Read a lot of books
  • Watched tons of opera with @CalBal!
  • Marmalade changed jobs and is getting paid more
  • I feel healthy and rested and get to sleep in! Started seeing a chiropractor for the first time, and he’s helping me understand why my back and shoulders hurt and we’re fixing it through adjustments and PT exercises. My mold and car exhaust allergies are all treated and I haven’t wheezed a bit from asthma this winter!
  • We’re so close to finishing our renovation. It’s been going on forever but there’s an end in sight now!

The best part is really these furbabies though :heart_eyes_cat:

24 Likes

I thought of more!

• We made a sandpit and a mud kitchen and they were fun to make and are fun to play in.
13 Likes
  • Husband and I both got new jobs, and have both been working from home since mid-March.
  • Our workdays now involve lots of time with cats.
  • We did a lot of projects around the house that we had been thinking of doing sometime in the next few years, but due to not commuting anymore and not having a normal social life we had more time and energy for house stuff.
  • We’ve gotten to know some of our neighbors better.
  • We sold one of our cars (the one that I hated driving because it’s too big).
20 Likes
  • Mr. G has spent way more time with Gigi than he would have otherwise.
  • We saw family way more than we would have in NYC by living with my in-laws for 5 months, being in driving distance for most other family, and we managed to see the brother that lives far away from everyone else twice.
  • I did way more exercise and also ate better than I did the previous year and I feel better.
  • I got to a manageable level of comfort with my postpartum issues
  • I quit my terrible job (twice)
  • Gigi went from a newborn to a very cute babbling toddler with such a fun personality.
  • I stayed online friends with a mom’s group and I am starting to build a community there.
  • We gave more money than we ever have before.
20 Likes

This is one of these years where the world outside has been so incredibly shitty but my life in its little microcosm has been really really good.

• A good friend and a favorite cousin both had healthy baby boys
  • Therapy motherfuckers
  • Wizard and I have had some really good conversations about marriage, kids, and houses
  • I’ve spent a ton of time exploring some local natural areas and learning more local plants and birds
  • Because of the 'rona, my social life has slowed down a ton and that was actually really, really good for me
  • Tons of time spent on crafting and creativity
  • More time spent messing about in our garden
  • More time spent attending to various spiritual matters
20 Likes
  • I took an awesome class on novel revision.
  • I got a new boss who has lots of good ideas and is very inspiring. I like my job much more now than I did last year. I am also now working much more with someone I already like and really enjoy working with.
19 Likes
  • I actually was consistently making weekly livestreams since March, and they came to be a highlight of my week and a very nice little community
  • I was able to donate and give more mutual more money than ever before, and that felt good
  • I hit (and exceeded) every single financial goal that I set
  • My net worth got very close to $50,000
  • I made the most money of any year of my life
  • I quit my service industry job and moved to a remote friendly office just 2 months before covid
  • I got to diamond league on Duolingo and have kept up my 1,137 day streak
  • I started learning Arabic, which is expanding my brain because it’s in a different direction!
  • My extended family started having bi-weekly zooms, and I have never been able to see them much since they live on the other coast, and I feel closer to them now
  • I released a product line that I’ve wanted to make for years
  • There was a turning point in the global conversation about race, and I think in the end, it will be for the better
  • The world worked together to find several vaccines in record time
  • We had a shared global experience that we have not had in this generation
23 Likes

The livestreams are one of my good things, too!

Also, I bought a lot of books, including several that I’d been waiting to buy for no good reason.

11 Likes
  • We had a baby
  • Because of COVID, I’ve been able to work from home the entire time since maternity leave ended, getting way, way more time with the baby.
  • I’m (mostly) getting to sleep through the night.
  • I’m working on eating healthy, taking care of myself again.
  • I got a promotion/title change & three mini raises spread across the year.
  • Work is really good - engaging, challenging and I’m doing really well at it right now.
  • We finally got our grocery and dining out budget under control because of COVID.
20 Likes

2020 - a year seems so long but it still was only 366 days long (I checked, because it was a leap year and I forgot that too).

1. We went to Aruba and soaked up sunshine, beach, and swimming
  2. It was the year of dental in the house- the cat had 3 teeth removed, one which was a broken and infected fang she has suffered with since well before I adopted her; after the start of the pandemic I had my root canal done and 2 fillings so I am no longer oozing and annoyed or in pain; SO had his fillings done or fixed.
  3. I had moles removed that have bothered me for a few years
  4. I was able to help my mother and in-laws when they needed me
  5. I focussed on my home since I have travelled so much - painting, re-doing the front gardens, keeping more plants alive that I received a lot of compliments on it making me feel proud of my efforts, planning future projects, starting to update or change the inside of the house, decluttering work.
  6. I got to know my neighbour better through our social distance walks
  7. I golfed a lot, and learned I still don’t do it enough to justify a membership
  8. I watched too much tv/internet but now know a lot more sorta lol
  9. I did everyone’s tax returns (5) and didn’t mess up instead of hounding my accountant friend or outsourcing
  10. Became more engaged on the forums and read almost everything - and the book club books which were all new to me!
  11. Baked a perfect cheesecake
22 Likes

I have spent more time with my husband and our sweet bunny than ever before.

I went on a solo work trip to a country in Europe (which was also my first time going anywhere in Europe). This was way way way out of my comfort zone. I’m glad to have done it.

Because of covid, family members who mean the world to me are moving near to me. I cannot adequately express how much it means to me that they will be nearby.

22 Likes
  • Got a bird feeder. Made a squirrel baffle out of things in my recycle bin that works… so far.
  • Started solo camping.
  • Took three courses through Coursera and started one through edx (something to finish in 2021!).
  • Made a decision on how to move forward with downsizing in 2021.
  • Increased self-care. Established a skin care routine, got a bite guard, started breathing exercises to reduce sinus congestion. Maybe better understand how to prevent shoulder / upper back pain?
  • Got the inherited TV and DVD working, got real internet service and Chromecast.
  • Learned Airtable, Venmo, Zelle, improved Zoom and online ordering skills.
  • Made meaningful progress in therapy / recovery.
  • Called numerous people I’d lost touch with. Strengthened some relationships.
  • Started training to become an AARP Tax Aide.
  • Replaced an electronic device before it completely died.
23 Likes
  • Got over my fear of driving and am even driving on the highway regularly
  • Spent even more time than usual with with Cooper, tons even
  • Watched Cooper break out of his shell and start to trust us and become the loving and cuddly dog he has was always too afraid to be before
  • Read at least 102 books on top of school reading
  • Earned all A’s in all my classes
  • Was awarded a fellowship for my academic performance and work in the nonprofit sector
  • Improved my relationship with my family
  • Made super delicious dumplings!
  • Am going to be an aunt this coming February
  • Partner graduated and got a job!
  • Put together the applications for the PPP loan and its forgiveness for work - we got the funding and then the loan was 100% forgiven
22 Likes
  • Moved back home. Home being where it feels like home, not childhood home.
  • Living in my own space by myself for the first time.
  • Went back to therapy
23 Likes

I’m just so proud of everyone and all we’ve accomplished this year, even if all we did was make it through alive. Here’s to an awesome 2021!

23 Likes

I forgot a big one!

I found this place and all of you lovely humans! This place has truly been one of my highlights this year. Thank you and love to you all

26 Likes

I only just discovered this thread but it’s been so lovely to read through everyone’s good things! Despite everything, it sounds like lots of good stuff happened to everyone!

For me, the main one was having our baby, after two horrible years of infertility. The last two years were pretty awful for my tiny family (especially in terms of mental health) and now we finally have our long-awaited baby and we can just chill out with her. We are also in the process of making our little house more of a home, which is fun. My mum moved in with her new boyfriend and she seems really happy :slight_smile: husband’s work has moved to let everyone work one day from home each week (we are in Australia, our state is coping well with covid, which I guess is a massive thing to be grateful for, for once our isolation paid off) and has been approved to work a four day week when my mat leave finished next year. Umm probably many more good things but that’s enough for now :slight_smile:

23 Likes