The 2022 Elections Thread (be nice)

Ron Johnson won and I’m extremely sad about it.

12 Likes

sad to say it looks like my county didn’t pass Measure 10 for ranked choice :frowning: I love that it’s gaining popularity elsewhere, though.

1 Like

I love them so much, but I also crack up watching gen z in oregon walking around in pouring rain in the same jeans I was wearing in the early 2000’s. JNCO style jeans are truly impractical in a place where it rains 9 months of the year

5 Likes

i’m gen x, and they looked pretty goofy to me the first time around too :joy: (it also rains a lot in pittsburgh)

3 Likes

Our county passed ranked choice, but the portland charter reform is ranked choice is on steroids. It adds districts, and voters would use ranked choice voting to pick THREE winners in each district.

4 Likes

Dems won in PA! :slight_smile: Very relieved because our R gov candidate was really extreme and basically a single issue (abortion, obv) candidate.

15 Likes

ugh YES! mastriano was comically awful!

plus we flipped the state house! :partying_face:

4 Likes

Thrilled with the Maine outcomes and happy with the Massachusetts ones!

Will stop here because my other thoughts are not nice or respectful, they are dancing gleefully about the defeat of my enemies.

7 Likes

In uber liberal portland, our one black city commissioner got beat by a politician here running on a “law and order” platform. He has some light ties to some MAGA groups, but the double-standards applied to the black female city commissioner (who actually got shit done while in office, which is impressive in portland’s terrible city commissioner weak mayor system) and her white latino male opposition was frustrating:

• He violated campaign finance laws by not reporting the fact that he was gifted office space in downtown portland for $250 per month by a major developer/landlord. The space was listed at over $6000 but $250 is the campaign contribution max under portland’s small donor campaign laws. He then tried to claim it wasn’t a gift because “it would’ve been empty anyway”. So he literally failed to disclose a significantly discounted gift to his campaign on any forms.
    v.s.
  • She has personal credit card debt, which has been continually smeared about in the press. I just don’t understand how that is more anyone’s business than violating campaign finance law. She also got falsely accused of a hit and run in a parking lot, despite the fact she was on tape IN COUNCIL SESSION when it happened, but the police immediately leaked to the press she was a suspect. Possibly in retaliation for her statements to the press about the police during portland protests and her vote to remove funding from the police (which failed)

Anyway, these are my incomplete feelings on her. She isn’t perfect and there’s plenty to criticize, but she accomplished a lot on the council. She’s also the first woman of color to every serve on portland’s city council, and the first to come from a low-income background and neighborhood like ever.

7 Likes

The conservative nutcase running for IL governor lost to the D incumbent, thankfully, but he got more votes than he deserved and that race was closer than I would like to see. And Tammy Duckworth kept her seat.

That’s all I got for good news. Disgusted but not surprised that Scalise swept my district (but the progressive D got more votes than the personally anti choice D so there is that.) Oh, wait, one positive, we passed a constitutional amendment that means people who get the property tax reduction due to permanent disability don’t have to reapply for it each year.

2 Likes

The good news is that the dude that won has 2 years to prove he actually can get things done, and then he’s going to have to run under our new ranked-choice district system in 2024. So hopefully he can get shit done, and if he doesn’t, he’ll lose a lot of power and/or his seat in 2 years

2 Likes

I got to see Tammy Duckworth speak, and talk to her for a bit, when I was lobbying in DC for bike stuff (she’s a big biker, on her handcycle). I was SO impressed with her.

4 Likes

I :purple_heart: her. And I miss her. I was proud she was was my senator.

This is how I learned that Hardesty lost. Damn it.

Really excited about PA though!

1 Like

15 Likes

We are still waiting on the results of my district’s house seat (it’s extremely close with 95% of the vote counted :frowning: ) but we have D wins for all of the big races: governor, senate, sec of state, treasurer, comptroller, and attorney general. We have 5 house seats, 4 called for D so far. This is not super surprising, as registered Ds outnumber registered Rs here - though unaffiliated voters outnumber both. It’s also more balanced than a lot of people thing (since CT goes D a lot) - overall votes tend to go 55/45 D/R in typical years. But the state keeps trucking along.

But here’s an awesome thing I didn’t even realize:

Erick Russell elected CT treasurer in historic win

Erick Russell, a Democrat and a partner with Pullman and Comley, defeated Republican Harry Arora, a financial services professional, in the contest to succeed retiring Treasurer Shawn Wooden.

Garnering 52% of votes, Russell became the first Black LGBTQ candidate elected to statewide office.

(Emphasis mine.)

9 Likes

I just saw that Michigan also flipped the senate from R to D. Now the senate and the house are both D for the first time in almost 40 years. Also the governor, secretary of state and attorney general are all Democrats. Maybe something will get accomplished? We also passed 3 good proposals! Way to go MI!

6 Likes

I’m not fond of this

5 Likes

Oh no I have watched some in-depth videos on Lauren Boebert and she is scary af. I wish there were more normal republicans running and fewer attempted-insurrection-scary-wingnuts. But I am also sure that is what mainstream republicans say about some of my favorite D candidates.

8 Likes

yes but our party didn’t hold an insurrection

8 Likes