Small Things You Did Today to Reduce Your Environmental Impact

+1 replaced gas with induction earlier this year, love it. All my cast iron works great of course, but I did end up buying new fancy pots and pans. Expensive, but something I really wanted and budgeted for.

5 Likes

@JanetJackson I haven’t bike commuted once since you posted :flushed: I am still riding with a local mutual aid group and just started helping with social rides that used to happen monthly. But my little electric car such a good friend at 530am! She’s a champ and never complains about the cold!

I did realize though because of your talking about a challenge that my biggest block to biking to work right now is not being able to use transit. It didn’t feel as intimidating biking when I knew I could bail and hop on the train halfway. This is really good to know about myself!

8 Likes

It happens!

2 Likes

I have every intention of walking to work tomorrow. It will be cloudy and cold, but not raining, and will be 0.9 miles.

5 Likes

Fixed our splash mat (sprinkler paddle pool) so we can use it over the summer. This is its 4th summer and we have done a very good job of looking after it so far.

5 Likes

Great job!
Growing up as a child my family had a clown sprinkler we’d play in once or twice each summer (not a hot climate) and that thing STILL works!

3 Likes

Thought a few people on this forum would be interested in My Green Closet’s roundup of plus-size-inclusive sustainable fashion brands: https://mygreencloset.com/plus-size-ethical-fashion/

3 Likes

The only one I’d heard of before was the activewear made from recycled plastic bottles.

I’m starting to be a little obsessed with the idea that all brands should do inclusive sizing (both smaller and larger), and have petite and tall options for everything.

5 Likes

Not today’s win, but I’m listening to rain filling my rainwater tank and feeling happy about using rainwater instead of tap water (much of which is desalinated sea water in my city - talk about energy intensive!) on my little plant babies.

8 Likes

This prompted me to add “greywater and rainwater plumbing” to things I need to talk to my architect about, and to look up what water use planning my local government has in place. If they don’t have any I’ll send an email to start badgering them about it.

3 Likes

Yessssssssss.

Greywater is something I want to retrofit… eventually. The systems you can have here have to be flushed and cleaned once a month, which is an unrealistically frequent task for us at this stage of life, but won’t be forever.

2 Likes

I’ve converted a friend to tooth tabs in place of toothpaste! Wooooooot!

3 Likes

We ordered a bunch of compostable scrubbers and such for doing dishes, and a holder for our bar soap. Since this is less a habit change and more just swapping what tool we use for a compostable/recyclable one, I decided we’d try everything at once and see what sticks. I’m very excited!

Also, Ponder and Duckling took a reusable bag to go shopping this morning.

6 Likes

I know it’s a bit of a tangent to this thread, but given we’d been discussing rainwater and grey water… this article on bores (residential access to groundwater) says that enough rain falls in Perth to meet our needs, if we actually captured it.

Related: I carefully did not water my plants yesterday, seeing that heavy rain is forecast for today. With the last lot of decent rain plus today’s, I’m hoping I can get through November using only rainwater on my garden.

6 Likes

I am thoroughly enjoying not watering anything except a small handful of undercover potted plants this week! Maybe even no watering until next Wednesday.

I made lunch with some veg that needed to be used up.

3 Likes

OMG! Omg omg omg omg omg!!! Plastic gloves for kitchen use are something that are a super easy switch for me that I thought would never exist!!!

I’m adding some to my next order.

7 Likes

I wanted a new dress, so went through my fabric stash instead of ordering more online. Found some fabric that i didn’t already have a plan for. It will be turned into a dress tomorrow.

9 Likes

That’s awesome!

2 Likes

I work at a liquor store, and when unpacking a case of bourbon, I realized each bottle came wrapped in a plastic bag for no reason at all (Basil Hayden in case anyone is curious). I have never seen this with any other liquor. I was very annoyed and I took each bag home to use to clean my cats’ litter boxes so at least these bags will be used one more time.

14 Likes

And I just contacted the company to voice my displeasure with their packaging choices.

16 Likes