Small Things You Did Today to Reduce Your Environmental Impact

I just ordered a boat load of not the most eco friendly reusable pads, absorbent undies and cloth diapers from Amazon. I need more and faster than I can get by going slow and researching and buying the best. And buying a boat load of cheap now and using them for their whole lives is still better than using disposable because I don’t have enough.
I went with more kawaii diapers because they are the only ones still fitting the beast, and honestly function as well as disposable. I wish some of the etsy sellers we’re still doing diapers, but I’m delighted that they are raking in mask money.

9 Likes

I dug out the stack of reusable Christmas bags and sewed 8 more (all with fabric I had on hand), some with snaps, some with velcro, some with zippers, some with ties.

I have them all a bit different because my Mom told me I was ruining Christmas because the fun is in ripping the paper open; so hopefully the fun can be in all kinds of different ways to open a cloth sack. (Also, in getting a freaking gift…)

7 Likes

I’m picturing you making your mom a festive ripping toy like baby label toys and the image brings me joy

6 Likes

The presents we bought for our parents are all experience vouchers, so no extra “stuff”! Just printer paper, ink & some paper from my already existing craft supplies for a fancy (toddler made) card to go with it.

1 Like

I went one better and found some paper from things that had been shipped to us to be used as wrapping paper! Ponder requested we use a prettier option next year, so I will noodle on that and practice on birthday presents over the year.

3 Likes

Following up on the Ecosia search engine - I recently started listening to the podcast “How To Save A Planet” and they did an investigation - it seems to be pretty legit! They partner with local groups to plant thoughtfully and sustainably, they don’t sell your data, and they’re legit a carbon-negative company.

5 Likes

That’s awesome that it actually does stack up! I haven’t heard of that podcast either so I’m going to check it out, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just found out that they have a mobile browser app. Perfect.

4 Likes

Ooh thank you and @krmit too

What a good reuse idea @LadyDuck!

2 Likes

Awesome! I now have it set as my default search on Brave and ios safari!

3 Likes

Did I post this already?
Instead of buying a plastic sled, our preschooler is using a underbed storage box. And loving it. Sometimes it’s super fast, sometimes a bit slow.

I’ll get a used sled I’m the off season.

10 Likes

I have ordered a party pack of compostable cutlery and crockery in anticipation of not having the energy to do dishes during the newborn phase. This should mean we don’t order as much takeaway or use quite as much high-plastic-use convenience food.

11 Likes

I had two crates of vinyl records that I’ve culled from my collection but couldn’t bear to just throw away after my local record store wouldn’t take them.

A friend wanted to stock her AirBnB with some vinyl records so I gave them to her. It was nice seeing her after so long (social distanced and masked, of course). I threw in some other records as well to round it out.the giveaway.

9 Likes

Copied from my journal:
I requested old flat pillows and/or stuffed animals, etc for the poly filling on my neighborhood FB group and I de-stuffed them, sun dried the poly just to give it some uv or “whatever”, then “surgically implanted” the stuffing into my current VERY old VERYYYY flat pillows and then stitched them back up. And wow… I basically have three brand new fluffy gorgeous pillows and those ppl didn’t throw those stuffed toys & old pillows away…

Pillows are like $30-$40 each, which is bananas to me, and I only threw away the skins of the old pillows rather than any poly filling, so this felt like a WIN and is also adding some luxury to my life. <3

14 Likes

We improved our fencing so that our cats can be let out in the backyard and can’t wander off our property. Now they have much less access to birds and lizards.

3 Likes

Discussed the option of exporting our spent catalyst containing sort of not very valuable metals (nickel, copper) to the Netherlands for reprocessing instead of disposal to landfill, with our waste consultant. Hopefully cost neutral compared to disposal.

7 Likes

If anybody is interested, Ethique is having a 20% off sale through the end of the day on 7/19 (tomorrow).

2 Likes

Happy Earth Overshoot Day…

4 Likes

Yay! I have two things to add!

• we have been getting a ton of rain, and my favorite thing to do is wash my car in the rain. Free water! Soft rinse! Plus, weirdly, getting wet from rain is really good for my skin. :man_shrugging:t3:

• I don’t use a dryer, I line dry and at first I was a little self-conscious at my house because I know the clothesline can be viewed by a few diagonal neighbors w/ my undies blowing in the wind - but I noticed last week that one of those neighbors put up a clothesline and has also been line drying! It could totally be a coincidence, but I’d like to imagine maybe I inspired them/normalized it?

10 Likes

Uh oh it’s me posting again :upside_down_face:

I love reviving dormant threads apparently.

I bought this aaaadorable little bin (which seems also very durable, oddly since I think it’s a kids toy) with lid for my bathroom because I’m trying to switch to cloth toilet “paper” for when I go #1 since I have a bidet. This will collect my cloths to be washed.

14 Likes