Skincare

Mostly chin, sometimes forehead. Hormones seems like a good guess- maybe just coincidence that it started at this time!

3 Likes

I didn’t know this thread existed! I’m reading and learning so much.

3 Likes

I cursed myself. Chin zit starting today

1 Like
cut for blathering about hormonal acne

The biggest thing that probably helped my acne was birth control.

But after that, a gentle ph neutral cleanser and a few weeks/months devoted to face washing 2x a day did a lot for me.

I like CeraVe Foaming face wash (not exact name) as it is very lightly scented and available almost everywhere.

“Double Cleansing” did a lot for me in the beginning when I was getting things under control, but I cheaped out and just used whatever kitchen oil for the oil massage step instead of an actual product, and then washed it all off with the CeraVe. I almost never do the oil step anymore.

After that, the thing that helped the most was getting gentle chemical exfoliants. I like CosRX, but I have secretly sensitive skin, and their ingredients are safe for almost every skin issue. More of a pain to get, but shows up at TJMaxx etc sometimes for semi-reasonable prices. If you’re willing to wait, eBay or Yes style are easy to order from.

I am prone to dandruff, so I use all the ‘fungal acne’ ingredients lists to narrow down what things I think my skin will/won’t like. I’m probably a bit excessive about it, but it works for me!

4 Likes

I have been trying to only buy skincare when I finish something, and I’m almost done with my current moisturizer. What is your fave? Looking for a new one. Preferences:

• doesn’t come in a pot (I just don’t find them sanitary)
  • doesn’t have a million actives. I like a pretty basic one I can mix serums into
  • doesn’t need to have sunscreen, I add that separately
  • unscented
8 Likes

cerave moisturizing lotion is my go-to. i use it morning and night and i love it. they make a thicker version, too, but i find it too hard to apply and this one seems to sink in better on me. i often will use 2 coats (letting the first one sink in for a while) and/or some oil with it, works great and is so cheap.

i keep wanting to spend $ on skincare but honestly i think the basic cheap solutions are about as good.

6 Likes

CeraVe (the thick one- the Costco tubs come with pumps) is one of the only things I haven’t become allergic to and I’ve been using it for several years now.

4 Likes

i like that one a lot for my body when i get out of the shower.

3 Likes

I also endorse CeraVe!

I also like this moisturizer, but ooooof it’s gotten expensive.

My other fav is the CosRX snail all in one cream, but all the containers seems to be tubs. The essence is also mega nice but I’m not sure I’d say it’s moisturizing.

3 Likes

If that’s the Cosrx Snail 92, it comes in 100g tubes now. I’ve been using their overnight rice mask as a night moisturizer but it might be too sticky for daytime.

1 Like

I will basically buy anything Avene makes. It’s the only brand I’ve tried that doesn’t aggravate my weird acne prone but also dry but also oily but also red skin. The cicalfate is my go to, literally any time my face is angry it somehow fixes it overnight. The tolerance cream is also a great daytime moisturizer

4 Likes

Are you my twin?

2 Likes

I could be way off base, but as someone who is struggling with Rosacea, this sounds like Rosacea to me.

(A decade or so ago, my primary care doctor was prescribing stuff to me for acne. I just saw some photos from that time, and it was like a lightbulb went off. I don’t think that was acne, I suspect it was Rosacea then too.)

5 Likes

oh I almost certainly have rosacea lol I just have no desire to pay for a derm to tell me yes or no

4 Likes

Would like to shout out the Banana Boat Light as Air SPF50. Best American sunscreen I’ve ever used! It doesn’t slide into my eyes and make them burn like almost every Asian sunscreen does, it dries down to a nice matte finish, and it costs $9.99 for 6 oz. It does sting a little bit if I put on when my skin is being sensitive but in a different way than the Asian sunscreens with alcohol in them do, it will break me out if I don’t wash it off before going to bed (but that is really just a fitting consequence for being a filth goblin), the tube is definitely designed for squirting a big blob for doing your whole body so sometimes I end up with way too much for just my face, and since it’s American it doesn’t have a PA+ rating.
ETA I am a kindof sweaty person and it seems to hold up better than the Missha, Cosrx and Canmake ones that I had been using.

10 Likes

ooh i love my beauty of joseon face sunscreen but i need something for my body! thanks for the rec.

5 Likes

This is the one that Wizard and I use for body!!! It’s so light and doesn’t feel greasy or smell icky. I love that sunscreen.

4 Likes

It’s so great for gardening! I still end up covered in dirt but not like a layer of mud like with greasier stickier sunscreens

2 Likes

Yesssss things don’t stick!

I’m guessing it doesn’t smell like classic Banana Boat then? It’s been a long time but I remember it having a strong scent!

2 Likes