Skincare

I’ve had that before and the doctor prescribed a cream called elidel. Idk if it is over the counter or RX only, but something to ask about if you do go to the doc. Good luck, I hated the dried flaky stinging eyelids :tired_face:

1 Like

I just realized that I bought .5% retinol and apparently I was supposed to start lower? Is it OK to keep using the .5 if it doesn’t bother my skin, or is there are reason I should downshift?

3 Likes

How often are you using it? It takes a little while for skin to start becoming irritated. I just started 0.025 tretinoin, and the first 2 weeks I used it every 3 days and my skin looked mostly normal. This week it started peeling and getting very irritated. Typically recommendations are to start 1-2 times a week until your skin is accustomed, and then you can increase

2 Likes

I used it 2 days in a row but I can take a break.

1 Like

It really depends on how your skin reacts. But every day and at .5% to start sounds like an amount that would upset most people’s skin. I don’t think you have to downgrade unless your skin tells you so, but I would start much slower and build your way up slowly.

3 Likes

OKAY I am trying one of the Korean sunscreens @anomalily recommended Me ages ago. Wish me luck! It comes tomorrow lol.

6 Likes

Yay!! Which one?

1 Like

I’ve had really good luck with those. :crossed_fingers: it works for you!

1 Like

The cheap one lol. Although come to think of it, that would have been a terribly clever ploy to get free sunscreen when I turn out to be allergic :joy:

8 Likes

This is the one I started with! Fun

2 Likes

I’m excited to hear what you think of this as someone who breaks out from literally everything. I’ve been using my holy grail Elta MD UV Clear for years, but lately it’s felt too heavy and it’s also over $40 a bottle now and it lasts me like…4 weeks

5 Likes

We have different skin stuff, but I’ve used this before and really liked it. Hope it works for you

4 Likes

What does Korean sunscreen do that American ones don’t? Are there good ingredients that the FDA is denying us?

2 Likes

They’re more cosmetically elegant, less sticky and stinky and white-cast-y. Some are more gentle. They also lean towards mineral sunscreens over chemical, which is better for the environment

3 Likes

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but have you written up a guide somewhere of your Korean sunscreen recommendations? I’d love to find something that doesn’t feel gross and so I wear it more regularly :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I forget, are you allergic to chemical sunscreens? I think that one is chemical.
I use the sunprise one - it’s mineral and doesn’t make me break out.

My issue with a lot of mineral sunscreens is that I get this roughened skin, and it feels like I have bumps but it’s like it’s behind my outer layer of skin, if that makes any sense. The sunprise one doesn’t do that but it does leave a white cast.

3 Likes

Generally, and I also just prefer to avoid them, but at this point I’m desperate to find something for camping because I really can’t go without when I’m outside for 3 days straight lol. And I can’t stomach the price tag on a bunch of options when I have like a 90% chance of using it twice :sob: but I’ll roll the dice for $10 I guess.

6 Likes

Yea there’s a different set of regulations in the us that has not caught up to the science - Korean and Japanese sunscreen is on the cutting edge

6 Likes

beauty of joseon is a beautiful inexpensive korean sunscreen. feels like a light moisturizer and has no scent :pray:

4 Likes

They’re discontinuing Neutrogena hydraboost extra-dry fragrance-free :sob::sob:.

Has anyone used this moisturizer and found something similar? I prefer fragrance-free but can live with a light fragrance. No sunscreen in the lotion (I’m allergic).

4 Likes