Skincare

Not a fan of very white cast, a little is ok. I want something that goes on easy like lotion, not the kind of mineral sunscreen where you have to work hard to apply it. Not smelly and not sticky? I really hate anything sticky!

2 Likes

Not sticky! Banana Boat Light As Air Sunscreen Lotion - Spf 50 - 6 Fl Oz : Target

3 Likes

I think I might want a mineral sunscreen! But I also just realized that I can wear this shirt that I have to cover my arms, and I’ll have my Hokas for walking. Maybe I should just cover up instead :joy:

But I just saw that I was looking at this last night, and it looks good!

4 Likes

So this is probably a really dumb question (if so, please forgive): are there any products that actually help lessen under-eye dark circles? I don’t wear makeup (don’t like having stuff on my face) so I’d rather not go that route. Thank you!

4 Likes

Are they the kind of circles that you have all the time, regardless of how rested and hydrated you are, or do they vary a lot in appearance depending on how tired you are? Latter is usually easier to treat with products.

4 Likes

Maybe a little of both? I think they might faintly be there all the time, but they definitely get worse the more tired I am. (Sorry to not be more specific - I don’t think I noticed them much when I had glasses, but now I do :joy:)

2 Likes

Okay folks.

I have become very, very fond of Besame’s cold cream – I use it as a daily cleanser/makeup remover. It’s petroleum-free and lush and it makes my skin SO HAPPY, which is amazing considering how sensitive and reactive my skin can be.

Unfortunately, they have discontinued it and there are no plans to bring it back.

Does anyone have cold cream recommendations? I do have sensitive/reactive skin, and would prefer a petroleum-free product (so probably not Ponds). I’m willing to spend more than drugstore prices for a really good cold cream.

6 Likes

13 Likes

I do not have one, but I know cold cream recipes are v findable…maybe combine with the Besame ingredients and some forest floor magic

3 Likes

Cold cream report for anyone else looking for cold creams without petroleum: I’ve been using KINDri cold cream and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

Pros:

• Nice light texture that doesn’t feel greasy or heavy on skin
  • Removes makeup well
  • No petroleum products involved and generally has very “clean” ingredients
  • Light, pleasant rose scent (from damask rose essential oil)

Cons:

• It’s $26 for 4 ounces – about 3x the cost of e.g. Pond’s
  • Some days I would prefer an unscented product
5 Likes

This week I had my first facial. It was an experience. I might do it somewhere else as an experience when there are other spa things like hot tubs and saunas and plunge pools, but I think $160 was way too much. I had a $100 gift card. The intro service was 109 and I added a hand thing. After she started she switched product lines and advised me she was changing me to the hydration facial. I think both cost more which I dislike.

It was really relaxing and my skin felt better. The hand thing was great. All the parts of a manicure I like, in a calm place with none of the parts I dislike.

I really liked that the only product she suggested was sold out, probably because she could tell it was out of budget.

2 takeaways
Apparently I have dry skin. I always identified as combination!
I need to exfoliate and I like the product she used for that.

I am not buying a dermalogica $85 exfoliant powder. I am putting a $25 indeed dupe on my wishlist. (And a thick moisturizer I’ve used before)

I also think I might be more into a medispa face treatment/s. Or at least enjoy trying it.

8 Likes

did she do any extractions? they always make me cry (i say always, i mean the 3 times in my life when i’ve gotten a facial and had 1-2 things to extract).

the last facial i got was a dermaplane one where she shaved my whole face with a scalpel! it was so smooth for like a day, then all my hairs started growing back in. i might do it again, though – that day was excellent and my skin has been looking really good since then.

have you tried any chemical exfoliants? the best one for me is stupidly expensive but i have found a few other decent ones. they make a huge difference to my skin texture.

3 Likes

No extractions! If it had been a week earlier, I’m sure there would have been.

I’ve tried salicylic acid, and I’m not sure if vitamin C is a chemical exfoliant, but neither of them did much for me. Although I am definitely of the (no longer using) st. Ives apricot scrub era.

The one I’m looking at seems to be chemical and mild physical - shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca

And searching it to post brought up an even cheaper sephora dupe for the dermologica but with mixed reviews

1 Like

The Ordinary is having their Slowvember again this year. It’s 23% off all month.

5 Likes

So this isn’t skincare, it’s makeup, and also it’s unasked for advice(?) Well, a recommendation and it’s for @noodle but anyone is free to take it. On another thread (tiny complaints?) noodle was having trouble removing her waterproof mascara and I just wanted to ask, have you tried tubing mascara? It’s so good. And it’s so easy to take off! Just a little water and you can kind of pull it right off your lashes. Which sounds bad but isn’t, I swear. It comes off easily and it doesn’t get all over your face in the process of coming off your lashes. No raccoon eyes. And it’s also so good as a mascara! At least one of them is. I’ve tried a couple of kinds but my absolute favorite mascara of all time now is a tubing mascara by heimish. I don’t think anyone talks about it but I gave it a chance because I like their cleansing balm a lot so I guess I had some trust in heimish, and I like the tubing mascara by Tarte a lot but who wants to pay Tarte prices? Not me. I’m so glad I gave it a chance and now Daughter is hooked on it too so now I have it on subscribe and save because we each use it every day. So stop battling waterproof mascara and have the best lashes with this one: Dailism Smudge Stop Mascara | heimish US Official It’s like $9 on Amazon, but Amazon, so you do you. I have not tried the curling one, only the volume one. (I am a little more, erm, heavy-handed with my application so it does not look on me like it looks on the model, in case you are wanting something fuller-looking than what you see on her. Two coats and it’s thick like I like it! Or is it thique?)

7 Likes

No I haven’t!! But I am due for a new tube (I am shuddering thinking about the last time I bought mascara because I can’t remember so obviously all of mine is TOO OLD) so I shall check this out. Also helps that I am almost a red head so I know you feel me with the Light Lashes problems.

4 Likes

If you don’t end up liking tube lashes (I did for a while, then they weren’t for me) I really like Essence for mascara, and it is cheap enough that I replace almost as often as I shoudl

4 Likes

Gotta love essence prices! I think the one in the purple tube is the best one, something like volume stylist?

3 Likes

I have blue right now, but I think princess is my favourite because of the name

2 Likes

Plus the tube is so cute!