Skincare

Let us know how it goes! My skin laughs in the face of products that “prevent breakouts” (for example, that Neutrogena sunscreen that @chaskavitch shared), but @mountainmustache29 does have me intrigued.

5 Likes

My skin is like that too! I honestly can barely tolerate any products, except for that sunscreen.

I also just discovered Avene Cicalfate and it’s been a game changer for redness from acne/scarring and doesn’t break me out! I believe it’s also zinc based…it’s the only moisturizer I’ve ever been able to wear, and isn’t greasy at all

2 Likes

So, maybe not actually belonging in skincare but figured it was adjacent enough: I got a gel manicure for my wedding, a pretty pale pink color. It’s the only gel manicure I’ve ever gotten, and I have read it won’t come off with just regular nail polish remover. When I’ve gotten gel pedicures, they usually just grind off the old one and paint on the new one, but I don’t want the grinder anywhere near my fingertips.

So I read a tip online that says that the gap can just be filled in as they grow out with a chunky glitter polish for an unusual look. My nails grow crazy fast, and I keep them really short, so I figure it’ll be about a month before it’s all glitter and then I can just take it off with the regular remover. What I’m looking for here is suggestions for a brand that makes good chunky glitter polish that might be a good candidate for this strategy. Thoughts?

5 Likes

FWIW the one time I’ve had gel nails I was eventually able to get it off with normal strong nail varnish remover (i.e. it was marketed as extra strong but just bought it from the supermarket) . Required a bit of soaking etc though, so your plan sounds more fun.

3 Likes

I was at target last night and they had some really fun nails inc polishes that were like heart or star shaped glitter. Really big, maybe too big for what you want.

Also, you can take a gel manicure off at home. You need actual acetone nail polish remover. Completely soak a cotton ball with it, put it on your nail, and wrap in either plastic wrap or foil and let them sit for a half hour.

5 Likes

There are also those decorations they glue to the nail - gems, metallic decorative shapes, etc. Those might help once the gap gets bigger.

1 Like

It just arrived so I’ll be trying it out today!

I ordered it from DermStore and they sent along a code for a 15% coupon that expires at the end of the month. If anyone is interested, let me know! It looks like the kind of code that can only be used once, or maybe a handful of times.

2 Likes

Re sunscreen. I have very pale skin and need to reapply sunscreen during the day or I burn quickly in the Australian sun.

I have been using The Beauty of Joseon Relief Sun Rice and Probiotics. It’s a chemical sunscreen. I don’t use moisturizer when I use it unless I have very dry skin because it seems to do that job too. Sunscreens can often cause breakouts for me but this hasn’t. Previously I used the Japanese Nivea Sun water gel which was also good but I did get breakouts when my skin was on the oily side.

6 Likes

I like it! It goes on easy and I didn’t see much of a cast. I guess it’s expensive sunscreen for me from now on.

3 Likes

I have the EltaMD UV Elements Broad-Spectrum SPF 44 and it’s $40 on their website but for some reason it was recently on sale for 10 bucks at Walmart!! I was excited and bought a few bottles because you know I’ll go through it before it expires. Then it went up to $20 which is still a good price but now it’s $38. I’ll check there again when I need more, though. They seem to carry quite a few of the EltaMD sunscreens.

I haven’t had breakouts from sunscreen but I have had irritation from chemical sunscreen, which is why I choose mineral sunscreens. I do like the Elta sunscreen but not $40 worth. I like my Australian Gold and my Babo Botanicals just as much and they are somewhere around $15.

3 Likes

You know I love a deal! :joy:

Were they close to expiry?

1 Like

No! I worried about that after I ordered but what came is good for a long time.

2 Likes

Woohoo!!!

1 Like

Oh no, I just realized that what you probably bought was fake product! Apparently fake Elta MD is common. I would try to get a refund :flushed:

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/155710423

1 Like

Huh. Well mine looks and smells perfect, so I don’t know. I guess i should look at the ones I haven’t opened yet.

1 Like

Maybe you were lucky! Look at the bottom and make sure it has a lot number, too. Some of the fakes have a fake lot number, but if there isn’t one that’s a dead giveaway. But I hope you somehow lucked into a great deal!

I was thinking of looking on eBay but now I think I’ve been scared into only buying from a reputable source. (Lots of individual sellers on Amazon or Walmart, don’t know if they’re legit.)

Also, Happy Mother’s Day! You do so much for your kids and I hope even though Daughter isn’t here that you’re getting lots of love from Son :heart:

1 Like

I also read something about Elta being faked on Amazon and other websites, but I have no idea how legit that is. I try to only buy it from my local derm so I can be 100% sure it’s real, but it’s such a pain to make a special trip just to buy sunscreen

1 Like

I’m fairly sure that DermStore is legit (the price is certainly legit), it’s the individual unknown sellers you have to worry about (through Amazon)! Also I think maybe they won’t store in a hot warehouse. My skincare just got expensive :joy:

Oh and that Paula’s Choice stuff to reduce dark spots really works! My age spots have faded so much, and it’s probably been around a month.

1 Like

Now I need a recommendation for body sunscreen, because I’m not planning to use my $40/bottle sunscreen on the rest of me. Please advise!

If you don’t mind a white cast on your body, any of the baby sunscreens that are mostly zinc are pretty skin friendly.

If not, what are your body sunscreen goals?

2 Likes