Share your WIP

Why do you say this only looks good on the W coast?

1 Like

When I bought it in SF, the way the light hit the brown & blue skein glowed, it deserved the name ‘burlesque feathers’. In Toronto, the blue and brown seem to clash. I tried knitting a scarf with it in Vancouver and it looked pretty good too, but when I got home, the colours died. This is the 4th thing I knit with the yarn because I just couldn’t find a pattern. The pink contrast heel worked pretty well though, which is odd, because when I tried the same colour as a contrast toe it looked like hell.

2 Likes

And a second pair of Dublin socks. These are definitely a size 9. The first sock was finished in Dublin, the second needed to wait until I got home because I needed a different needle to cast on the toe. The blue and red yarn was purchased in Dublin.

4 Likes

Those socks are gorgeous!

2 Likes

I now understand the appeal of the Zauberball :slight_smile:
http://www.skacelknitting.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.34707/.f

1 Like

I am without a WIP. I was supposed to do a sweater next, but I am stressed about making something that I don’t like wearing. So I am trying to decide between

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bjrk-4

My colours are brown and light cream. Nobody has posted their birch pattern finished object, which is both a vote for and against.

3 Likes

I vote for the Dottie!

1 Like

I need to do the finishing sewing on this damn sweater. Someone make me, please.

2 Likes

I just blocked my sweater with all the twisted rib. Come join me in the ‘I have a new sweater for when the weather turns’ club!

Forgive me if I’m intruding, but I want to make a yarn bowl as a gift, but as a non-knitter I don’t know how big it should be or what knitters like as “features” in their yarn bowls. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

I like mine a little big, around the size of a half gallon pot - I’d even take a gallon one. :wink: Sometime who mostly makes socks might want something smaller.

Biggest thing is the slip at the edge - the yarn hooks there as it comes out. Imo the slit needs to be thin and smooth - preferably no more then a half inch wide, but two to three inches long.

1 Like

Thank you for the info! How big is a half gallon pot? I mean, I know how much a gallon is but more in terms of proportion. I googled and just got a lot of 5 gallon canning pots…

1 Like

I would go for a shape kind of like an azalea pot, maybe just a smidge taller? I personally think that yarn bowls should be taller than they are shorter (so the yarn doesn’t jump out as you pull). So maybe shaped like an 8" azalea pot.

1 Like

It’s important that it have a bit heavier of a base so that it won’t be knocked over when I pull on the ball. Probably should expect the ball to be just over 5 inches in diameter?

I don’t care if there is one of those little hook things to catch the yarn, though that is what is traditionally the tell for a yarn bowl - I have used just regular bowls in the past. But I do want to be certain that there not be any snags on the interior.

2 Likes

So I spoke, and the universe answered. There is a local street festival & craft show, which folks in the neighbourhood (Cabbagetown) use as an excuse to have yard sales & boot sales & ‘large amounts of furniture on the verge’ sales. I crossed the road because it looked like one of the homes had some interesting cook books. I was wrong, but they did have yarn at the back.

$1/skein. Including a Zauberball (100g). Plus 3 Spud & Chloe fine sock (65g/248y of 80% wool/20% silk), and 2 skeins of probably Paton’s Kroy 4 ply (50g of 85% wool/15% nylon).

20190907_154403_medium2

8 Likes

Cat bed in progress, with blurry cat paw for scale.

7 Likes

Ooh looks extra cozy

Apparently there’s a Verizon outage here and it won’t be fixed until tomorrow, so it’s just me and my clicking needles tonight

8 Likes

While trying to decide on the color work mittens I made a bonnet. Unfortunately it is smaller than planned and I don’t think my sister will want it for the niece. So undecided whether to frog and make a larger size, make it into a cowl, or find an opportunity to donate / gift it. Which is emblematic of where my mental knitting mojo is right now.

6 Likes

Working on a new zip front dress. The pattern has a zip front top, and then a side zipper on the waistband to get the dress on. Seems unnecessary to have 2 zippers to me, so tomorrow will re configure all the waistband markings to allow for a longer and singular front zipper.

It also has darts on the shoulder instead of gathers which I’ve never seen before. We will see if it is worth the effort.

4 Likes