Rich and Regular Podcast

Just requested CPL adds their book. I love to request the library add things to their catalog :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Haha nice. I’m like, blasting through episodes bc I’m still stuck so it was great timing to discover a new podcast! I find them really charming. I learned a lot about the travel industry in the credit card points episode.

3 Likes

Binging a new money-focused podcast is having the desired effect. I have reimagined my budget spreadsheet and I’m having fun conversations with DH about savings goals. Yay!

5 Likes

Would other people like to listen to the episode Expensive Hobbies and give their takes on it? It’s such an interesting topic IMO and one I’ve not heard a lot of personal finance people talk about (outside of “turn it into a hustle”).

9 Likes

I’ll try to get to that one soon!

1 Like

Ohhh that could relate to my life

2 Likes

What’s the title? I’m sleep deprived but didn’t see that episode

1 Like

I think it’s episode 10!

2 Likes

Joining in here because this podcast is awesome! I like how they have different takes on how to get to the same place eventually.

2 Likes

I’m going to listen to this one! I haven’t had the chance to listen to any of their episodes yet, so I’ll start with this one. I love expensive hobbies!! haha

2 Likes

I don’t do podcasts and I wish they had a transcript! Did anyone find one anywhere?

This was of key interest to me: Ways to bring down the cost of being a foodie @flan

4 Likes

Sorry, no. I didn’t find any. But I think I’m gonna email them about it–while it’s not cheap or easy to create transcripts, they’d improve accessibility!

3 Likes

Episode 4: Is Homeownership a Luxury?

Kiersten cites an article that states the main route to homeownership for the middle class is inheritance, not work. Wow!!

ETA found the article in their show notes:

6 Likes

Episode 5: Credit Card Points Hacking…Is It Worth It?

I am loving the sources they choose to discuss. In this episode we learn airline frequent flyer programs are valued more highly than airlines themselves :scream:

The Financial Times pegs the value of Delta’s loyalty program at a whopping $26 billion, American Airlines at $24 billion, and United at $20 billion. All of these valuations are comfortably above the market capitalization of the airlines themselves — Delta is worth $19 billion, American $6 billion, and United $10 billion. In other words, if you take away the loyalty program, Delta’s real-world airline operation — with hundreds of planes, a world-beating maintenance operation, landing rights, brand recognition, and experienced executives — is worth roughly negative $7 billion.

5 Likes

No, back away from the cost of food :joy:
More thoughts to come

4 Likes

I listened to this episode, and really enjoyed it!

I love the hosts’ dynamic. So often with cohosts - even married ones - you can tell there is weird unresolved tension, disdain, etc. There was some gentle ribbing but no weird vibes.

(Minor spoiler, I guess?)
I hadn’t though of cars + sports as expensive hobbies, but I thought what they said makes sense. I also liked their acknowledgement that hobbies can be how we connect with people: so often it feels like the only socialization options personal finance world is on board with are having friends over while you cook + cheap outdoor stuff. Which I enjoy! But for me it’s not everything I want to do with friends.

7 Likes

Ok I listened to this one this morning, and liked it! They are really engaging to listen to, so now I’m going to go back and listen to all of their old episodes.

I’m not sure I agree with their stance on highschool sports and activities as hobbies…I can’t imagine not being in sports in highschool BUT at the same time I often wonder how much better I would have done in school if I hadn’t had the pressure of year round swimming + high school swimming. I think doing seasonal high school sports is not a hobby, but a way of being active and making friends, right? Year round sports are often seen as a way to get scholarships for college…but I can understand if you aren’t super serious about it, yet still dedicating all of that time and money to it, maybe that doesn’t make as much sense?

I have a hard time considering participating in any kind of sport/active endeavor as a hobby, but it’s such a HUGE part of mental health for me personally. Comparing hiking or mountain biking to something like…a car hobby just is not apples to apples. Sports are contributing to your health, getting you in nature, teaching you resilience and self discipline…I don’t know… this is a tricky subject for me!

I also admit I’m super judgmental about hobbies like cars. Seriously, owning a car just as a hobby? But who am I to say that when I literally used to own 7 bikes. Did I need 7 bikes to enjoy bike riding? No…but it sure did make bike riding more fun. But my 7 bikes combined didn’t cost as much as the hobby car my ex had which he drove maybe 20 times a year. But, car people do get out with other car people and go do car things (I guess?) so it is a way to find a community.

Oh and sports fandom…I’m so glad they covered this topic. I have also been SO judgey about this too in the past. I went to an SEC school and everyone was OBSESSED with football. They would spend their whole weekend tailgating, buy special outfits and food for the game. It was such a waste of time and money, but man it makes people SO happy. I will never understand it but as I get older I have gotten to a place where I try not to judge it anymore, and just think to each their own. I thought it was nice that they included this, and also that she is a sports fan so didn’t make it seem like a thing frugal people just cannot do. It’s nice that they addressed how it brings people together, for parties and gatherings, and can be a time for connection between friends/family.

9 Likes

Any tips on how to be a foodie without spending all your money on food? :joy:

1 Like

@mountainmustache29 I think so much of the discernment they’re promoting around hobbies has to do with:

1. finances
  2. flexibility
  3. individual talent

I liked how they mentioned that people see hobbies as intractable, like they cannot be altered at all, in any way. I think this comes across in the latest episode on Ramit’s podcast where it seems like the only thing the couple enjoys is going to super expensive festivals that are a flight away. If they had #1 in check, that would be fine, but they don’t. They can’t afford their lifestyle.

I think if they were willing to dig deeper (into #2) and really discern what it is they enjoy about music festivals they might find that they like being in a different setting, spending time outside, hearing live music, seeing friends. And maybe they could come up with something like, one fancy music festival a year, plus some camping trips with friends, and a weekend road trip to a weird attraction nearby, or maybe even learning to play an instrument. But it’s when people are like: NO. I must do this hobby in this exact way at this exact level/frequency, etc.

The other thing with sports is, and I realize this will rub some people the wrong way, but parents spend a shitload of money on “traveling teams” for kids who are never going to be above YMCA level, which would be super affordable in so many cases. Usually if someone is supremely gifted there are ways around spending so much on athletic stuff, like scholarships and funds (I got several for ballet) or other ways to make money using the talent (I taught private lessons and demonstrated for classes all the time, etc).

But I think for a lot of upper middle class parents it’s like, a competition in itself to have their kids in all these “elite” expensive hobbies and they are often not even that good (the programs themselves, I mean) and don’t bring any more enjoyment to the kid than the cheap or free versions. I think there are always exceptions. Like if I had a kid who was struggling in school but was super mechanically inclined, and really into fixing shit…I could see helping them buy a clunker of a car to mess around with. Provided they’d shown a good track record with other stuff. For that particular kid it might be a great decision!

It’s the mindlessness and I think the lack of flexibility that they’re butting heads against.

10 Likes

This is kind of what I was getting at about like the year round vs. high school sports. I think everyone should play middle school/high school seasonal sports if they want…it’s great to get outside and make friends, etc. These are usually pretty affordable too, and a lot of fun! But SO many people thinks sports for kids need to be year round, expensive teams…and IMO it’s really only appropriate if you really think your kid will get scholarships for college and will actually WANT to have to play in college. I wanted to swim in college, like that was always the goal, so my parents sacrificed a lot for me to compete year round but…if I could go back I would probably just do seasonal high school swimming and enjoy a more balanced life.

10 Likes