Rich and Regular Podcast

A recommendation for this podcast was originally posted by @noodle and I agree it’s a great listen! Read this article for background on the hosts:

And check out their podcast Rich and Regular wherever you listen to podcasts! Feel free to post discussions, dissent, and takeaways- but mention which episode you’re listening to so we can all follow along! :slight_smile:

ETA: They also have a youtube channel!

7 Likes

I’m starting with the episode called “5 Ways to Adjust Your Grocery Habits for Inflation” because I am AllHat and I love food and also Julien (the husband) is/was a professional chef!

5 Likes

Ok first impressions after listening to one episode. I love them. They are like the opposite of Ramit, haha. I think this was a great episode to start with but now I’m going to go back to episode 1 and work my way through! They are all about changing habits and questioning consumer culture, which I love, but they are also conscious that not everyone can do things in the exact same way because we all have different levels of privilege/challenge. But that there’s a lot we can do. I also loved how they talked about sharing, and ditching the hyper individualist “this is MINE that is YOURS” thinking.

Strategies I totally agreed with:

That she mentions having ingredient backups so you don’t get suckered into store marketing.

That she mentions there are downsides to eating out other than financial like not being able to cross utilize ingredients, etc.

And he mentions the whole rotisserie chicken loss leader trick, etc.

Totally agreed with him about cooking bacon in the oven, 100%, and about buying big cuts of meat/seafood and then cutting them and food saving.

I also learned about how the consumer price index is set, I had no idea! And it’s funny too, laughed really hard at “meatflation”.

10 Likes

This sounds like exactly the sweet spot of what we’re into here! Good find @noodle .

Separately, I love to see the headline “here’s how we paid off $200k in debt” and the answer isn’t, living with my parents/an inheritance/etc,? A rare gem in personal finance reporting.

9 Likes

You KNOW I hit ctrl+f for “parents” right away lol

7 Likes

Y’ALL. Hahaha, in the more you know the more you know you don’t know category…uh, in episode 3 Kiersten says the first book that made her think about money and really get inspired was…you know it, you don’t want to hear it but you know it:

I Will Teach You to be Rich by Ramit Sethi. I shit you not.

12 Likes

FULL. CIRCLE

4 Likes

They have a book that just came out 2 weeks ago! Cashing Out: Win the wealth game by walking away.

3 Likes

Omg :rofl::rofl::rofl: holy crap was not expecting that! Trying not to laugh too hard and wake the baby :joy::sob::joy:

3 Likes

The episode about homeownership and whether it’s a luxury or not is such a great listen after the last IWTYTBR podcast discussing basically the same topic.

4 Likes

Listening to the first episode now. I am liking this couple more and more! Their idea of financial independence—not to have wealth for the sake of wealth or to remove yourself from “regular” society (middle class US, from the sound of it—she mentions standing in line at target as a thing she missed in the early pandemic! Haha!) but to give yourself OPTIONS and be comfortable. Have more time with your family. Feel less beholden to 9-5 Monday-Friday job while sneaking in what you truly enjoy around the edges. That resonates so much.

7 Likes

I almost screamed when she mentioned target :laughing:. I totally agree. It’s not about hoarding as much gold as possible or escaping some work a day life you hate. Just, having options, security, peace, etc.

6 Likes

I love wandering around disassociating in Target and I am not ashamed :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

Hahaha. I thought their take on home ownership was similar. Like it’s not for everyone and here’s how to understand alllll the costs because it’s not always a better deal. There are pros and cons to both, but don’t make a decision just because of societal expectations. And you’re still a fully functioning adult whether you rent or own.

3 Likes

I think Ramit was right to call out generational invisible scripts around homeownership. DH’s dad is a mortgage guy and is constantly telling us to buy and become landlords. I downloaded that episode of R&R first actually, then decided to take it from the top.

3 Likes

“I looked up the definition of fees to prepare for this conversation.” Kiersten. Yes!!! Lol. This is something I would do.

2 Likes

CAN I JUST SAY It’s refreshing to hear some real, humorous banter!! So far no dumb metaphors either!

4 Likes

I totally agree on the generational homeownership pressure thing in Ramit’s podcast, they talk about that in this one too. Julien bought his first home at 26 and said it was a disaster but he thought it was just, what you’re meant to do.

I think that’s something a lot of people feel. I totally got sucked into feeling like I should buy, not so much from older family, but more so from seeing other people my age all buy and just feeling like it was…what one did? Like it felt as if there was no way to be secure without owning. So I think it’s great to talk about that. I think Ramit just goes fully black and white (as per usual) and makes it like, “anyone who buys a house ever is a total idiot and it’s always an awful investment” which like…yeah that’s also not true? LOL. I think he must have discomfort with the idea of diverse experiences and circumstances in a way, and an intense craving for a singular answer.

8 Likes

A little too much “this is what is best for me so it’s The Best period.”

4 Likes

and also quite a lot of “well i’m smarter than you so i can see your shit more clearly than you yourself can” which is truly not how any of the great coaches or educators go about anything :joy:

5 Likes