Recipes and food ideas

Fresh fruit – sliced, or easy-grab (apple, banana, orange, plum, apricot, etc), or berries in baggies.

Are the burritos being made to order?

3 Likes

The burritos will be made in bulk with the option to make a special one if needed. We don’t have the ability to do all MTO with the time required to serve them. Toppings like sour cream, green chili will be self serve.

1 Like

Ok, phew, I was thinking “that is gonna be hard if it’s being made on the line…”

Burritos and fruit seems like a nice option to me! For a sweet-sweet option, I think I would go for a pre-prepped donut or muffin; it gives you more breathing room in case anything goes wrong with a batch of eggs, etc.

3 Likes

Awesome!! Thank you so much for validating the idea with me. I think it will be much easier to buy the baked goods instead of making them on top of everything else.

I like the berries in a bag idea, so they can grab and go or save for later.

6 Likes

I’ll just point out that both of your meat options for burritos are pork. Unless you were thinking of turkey sausage?

3 Likes

I was thinking that too. I’ll go turkey sausage so there is an option other than “no meat” and make sure the green chili is vegetarian. Thanks for confirming I should consider kosher/halal preferences too.

8 Likes

I have a small butternut squash I would like diced in a risotto. I assume I need to cook it before adding it to the risotto (which I make in the Instant Pot). Do I dice it first, or cook it first? Or can I toss it in with the risotto without pre-cooking? Probably not, because that only cooks for like 5 minutes.

1 Like

I’d dice it first, then cook separately from the risotto. That way you’d get actual diced cubes (instead of glops of butternut), and the squash would take way less time to cook diced than whole.

5 Likes

When I would make butternut Mac and cheese I would cut it in half, roast it, then let cool and scoop out the cooked squash. Less effort but more cook/cool time.

2 Likes

You can do either!

If you cook the squash before you cut it, it’s much easier to cut, but the cubes won’t be caramelized. Which is maybe fine for risotto where it’s going to be squishy anyway? If you cut it into cubes before you cook it then you can get nice browning on the edges and they’ll have more structure, but it is harder to cut and you have to peel it.

3 Likes

So if I cook it first, does the skin just come off?

1 Like

You can scoop the cooked squash out of the skin a lot easier, or kind of peel the skin off the half-cooked squash in one piece.

1 Like

Y’all. My father. has asked for crock pot stew recipes. I don’t use a crockpot but there is no way I will not support my father in cooking more. So, your favorite crock pot stew recipes?

(Father context: He will eat vegetables if they are in stew. Meat is good as long as it really breaks down and becomes nice and soft in the cooking (he doesn’t have many teeth left and in particular no molars left). He’s a 70 year old white guy who’s not a very adventurous eater, but he’s amenable to things like tofu and mild curries.)

6 Likes

I mean, if he doesn’t have any medical issues with salt consumption, for simple tastes like that you really can’t go wrong with a pound of stew meat, two or three cut up potatoes, a pound of baby carrots, one big onion in chunks, two cups of water, and one packet of onion soup mix. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, and add pepper to taste when you serve it.

6 Likes

I don’t think he’s been ordered salt limitations (I don’t think at least).

2 Likes

Not quite stew, but two of my favorites:

5 bean chili–5 cans of different types of beans (I usually do dried, but canned makes life easier, and the usual culprits are kidney, black, navy, northern, and cannellini), chili powder, 1/2 to 1lb of ground beef (mostly I just use however much came in the pack from the grocery store), two cans of diced tomatoes (I use the kind that also include peppers) and if desired a chopped up onion. I brown the beef and onions first if I’m using them, then dump in the beans and chili powder, tomatoes on top, and turn it on low, and at some point when I get back from skiing chili is available…I’d say usually 12ish hrs, but that’s just because that’s how long the day lasts.

Slow cooker barbecue: Boneless ribs, beans of some form (usually I use something plain like navy), two onions, peppers if they’re available, and barbecue sauce. Not the most adventurous, but this is another case where I can just dump everything in and come back in 12+ hours (although depending on if shredded pork is something he’s good with, you may need to switch to a different kind of pork)

What @rural recommended was going to be my rec. My mom made pot roast that way and so I still love it. It’s simple, too. She didn’t actually add water, there was enough from the vegetables, but I suppose it depends on how soupy you want the end product. But that packet of onion soup mix makes magic. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Salsa chicken in a crock pot is very easy.

5 Likes

Also not stew but chicken/pork with a bottle of BBQ sauce is easy and delicious!

1 Like

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this site a thousand times. Hate the name, love the recipes. Simple and easy to source ingredients. You can sort for crockpot!

2 Likes