Recipes and food ideas

Thank you!

2 Likes

I prefer not to throw in anything in the cabbage/broccoli family, but otherwise, yes.

I save bones & trims in the freezer, cover with water, add salt (or soy sauce), and a dash of vinegar, bring to a boil, then put down to a simmer for 2-3 hours. I also do the stock pot with pasta insert thing, it’s the best!

If you want to remove the fat, you can do this easily by putting the stock into the fridge overnight, and the fat will just float to the top and you can scrape it off with a spoon. I don’t bother doing this.

5 Likes

Does anyone have any experience/ recipes for making bagels that they would be kind enough to share? I have decided that I want to learn how to make them, as they are becoming pricey. I like the Costco everything bagels, but $6.99 for 12 is way higher than they used to be, and I know I can make them for much less since I have the bread flour already.

4 Likes

I’ve used this recipe! It was great, very stripped down/easy compared to a lot of bagel recipes.

For more variations and explanation I also like Sally’s Baking Addiction. I read her info before using the above recipe.

3 Likes

Thanks! They are 2 very different recipes. I need to pick up some dried onion flakes for the everything bagel recipe. I will make this a project in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

Dinner party for 35ish?
Constraints

• I don’t want to lean too far into South Asian cuisine, partly to make a point
    -all meat eaters are halal ish
    -some of the kids are picky
    -many of the kids are toddlers
    -2 nut allergies
    -gluten intolerance
    -1 veganish (the gluten one)
    -birthday boy has a soy allergy
    -buying it all in is cost prohibitive, open to oartly buying

I am very interested in what others would make or buy! I think I want to minimize my meat cooking. Very casual brainstorming only at this point

Opening options
-one kid only eats chicken nuggets and pizza from like 2 places - buy 2 boxes of his nuggets as kid food for all kids
-macaroni and marinara or cheese sauce?
-chow mein
-Guyanese channa and potato curry & rice
-coleslaw
-hummus, baba ganoush, spinach dip and gf nut free crackers
-Shepherd’s pie 2 ways
-party sandwiches on gf bread?
-bought meat dish
-buy biryani?

-buy birthday cake (make for next day) - they all made fun of homemade cake last year
-vegan jello
-fruit

The hakka place has
Veg manchurian $45
Chili chicken $49
Veg fried rice $40

The south Asian place has
Various Barbecue meats $62
Haleem $60
Nihari $70
Chicken Biryani $70

The better south asian place has
Set meal for 10 $170
60-70 for small party trays, 40-50 for biryani or pilauo

3 Likes

I would do buffet with place tags with title and after it GF, SF, DF etc. beside each dish or the actual recipes in a binder. That’s a lot of different allergies and intolerances to have to consider.

Off the top of my head, veggie sticks and homemade hummus. I say homemade because store bought often has things in it you wouldn’t expect…like dairy and soy. If it’s homemade you can control what’s in it.

On another note…I once compiled some recipes for a dairy free, sugar free, gluten free cookbook I was writing and never published. Let me look.

There’s:

• salsa which you could serve with corn tortilla chips,
  • vegetarian chili
  • kale chips,
  • vegetarian wraps made with homemade GF DF tortillas or corn tortillas. I make the tortillas ahead of time and freeze.
  • Braised Sweet Potatoes and Beans
  • GF, DF hm cornbread (requires special flours),
  • sweet potato fries
  • Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos with hm enchilada sauce.

That’s it from me! Hopefully others will have some ideas. If you need recipes let me know.

4 Likes

This sounds like a job for a taco bar. You can have all the things ready on the table and everyone adds what they want on their tacos or nachos.

8 Likes

:joy: except the nuts, the allergies, etc are all my house. And the nut bois we are waiting to hear back if we can even clean well enough to host them or if we are going to have to find a space.

I love seeing what others would serve when they host! My childhood experiences are very typical Guyanese-Canadian, or visiting England very Liverpool, and my partner’s experience (and most of the people coming) are very Quetta. I love that in North America there is so much anything goes

4 Likes

I for macaroni and cheese for the kids. When I was a kid marinara sauce was not to be trusted, and then when I had a toddler marinara sauce was more work that it was worth so he just got plain noodles so I didn’t have to clean sauce splatters off everything.

I’ve never done a dinner party, only pot lucks, so I don’t have much in the way of other advice.

2 Likes

I was just going to say this. When I have a blend of veg/vegan/GF esp, taco bar to the rescue.

1 Like

I would probably do a giant Middle Eastern spread because it’s very self-assembly friendly, and a lot of is naturally vegan (and all of it is naturally soy free), for gluten free it’s easy too because you can do a platter with salads, dips, meat, potato, etc.

I’d do lamb kebabs for the meat eaters, all the dips with flatbreads and sliced veggies, tabouleh, lemon potatoes (more cypriot, but still, so good they deserve a spot), falafel, salad, olives, pickles, grape leaves, side of feta, maybe okra soup, etc. Then I guess a separate kid food table if that’s expected? In my family kids eat what adults eat so IDK what kid-friendly food is- I think this is common in ME/Arab households. It was to the extent that I clearly remember being offended, as a kid, by children’s menus in restaurants :rofl: I was like "MA’AM, DO I LOOK LIKE A JOKE TO YOU? I WILL HAVE THE MAIN MENU PLEASE, " I also had disdain for the crayons and paper placemats. Zero sense of humor about it, lol.

10 Likes

Hey @AllHat I just wanted to let you know my lunch was a hamburger fritatta kinda thing inspired by a certain cowboy casserole I recently saw on the internets. :heart:

7 Likes

Ahhhh!!! OMG thank you for telling me!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I always wanted the picture and crayons! But we always just got a bunch of (yummy) adult food so it was not for me.

Our kid eats what we eat (more or less, but less spicy). But the other kids are a mix - I notice pizza ordered for them a bunch and I know this one specific kid eats only nuggets. So I would rather buy and make the nuggets than have his mom bring them and cook them!

When we go out as a group I push middle Eastern a lot! Almost everyone loves it and it is close enough to “familiar” food. I love tacos but they are a bit much for ummm everyone older than my husband :joy:. In early 2020 I did a picnic for the siblings and MIL and did Tacos and we were having to explain it to MIL so hard - like 5 adults explaining to one adult. So if I do tacos then I would need a senior menu too.

I will probably do 7-8 main course dishes and 2-3 dessert. If I give myself $100 to spend on premade I can get a few more interesting things.

Do you have a lamb kebab recipe? If I do the spices I bet G would stab them and then we can cook them. (Even a list of spices because I assume measuring with the heart- but proportions would be helpful)

8 Likes

Definitely! That’s a good call. The taco story is amazing and v relatable. We took my uncle to sushi once. For lamb I do a very simple marinade usually: lemon juice, oil, fresh mint and garlic muddled together with freshly ground coriander and freshly ground cumin and the pepper of your choice.

5 Likes

Got canned fava beans in a mystery bag. (trying to make the best of a very sad mystery bag - this store might be taken off the list if they repeat this once more)

Other than ful mudammas, ideas?

2 Likes

I’m jealous! I adore fava beans. I always put them in my falafel! I think that’s very common in Lebanese cuisine but less common in other cuisines that also make falafel. I think it adds something special! :slight_smile: I also really like fava beans in a tangy tomato-y sauce- I eat them plain or on toast/flatbread like how Brits do with baked beans.

3 Likes

how do you put them into falafel? mashed? chopped? just stirred in whole and having the stirring mash them a bit? are you replacing anything or is it just additional? additional cooking first, or just drained straight from can?

2 Likes

This recipe is very close to what I do! :slight_smile:

5 Likes