Recipes and food ideas

I use it in place of cornmeal for cornbread

1 Like

I have a small amount of salt pork in my freezer that I bought because it was on sale and I was feeling adventurous. Right now my only idea is to put it into a lentil & rice and fried onion thing for lunch next week, but other ideas are urgently sought.

3 Likes

Lentils!

I have a stash of either green or brown lentils, and a small amount of red lentils. HTbF thinks that he hates lentils because of a childhood encounter with plain boiled lentils. Any super flavorful lentil recipes to break his aversion? Best if we can mix it in with rice or something else like that, so it’s not just lentils.

4 Likes

my mom makes a white 70s housewife version that adds almond slivers and raisins.

4 Likes

Split pea and ham soup?

Fried rice?

1 Like

Who needed this? Its from rose Elliott

5 Likes

Him. We are without split peas, but fried rice could work. Maybe make it into lardons for zucchini and corn fritters?

1 Like

Ummm ham + corn in a fritter sounds AMAZING.

2 Likes

I made this with a bunch of extra spices and it is DELICIOUS. Like, surprisingly good.

4 Likes

Nice @MonkeyJenga !!!

Positive… I just made a really nice savoury nut mince (rose elliot inspired) to go with leftover mashed potatoes and cheesy coleslaw

Negative… no grocery delivery slots

4 Likes

What do I do with a surprisingly large kabocha squash?

1 Like

You could bake it and then puree it, freeze half and turn the other into a bisque?

1 Like

I love to cut the squash up into cubes, toss with coconut oil, curry powder, ginger, salt and garlic and roast at 375 for 40-50 min. So yummy!

3 Likes

Mushroom risotto today with garlic, onion, thyme, Parmesan, splash of vermouth. Good ish, y’all.

6 Likes

I love mushroom risotto. I can’t get Greyman to get more than “meh” about it. I say pooh on him.

2 Likes

Oh man. Does he not like mushrooms?

He likes mushrooms but thinks risotto is boring. He’s a weirdo.

3 Likes

Dal and rice! So good. The red lentils will break down more and disappear more, the green will keep a little more structure and texture. I usually will do red for dal, and green for soups or stews. Not sure if that’s “right”, but I like the textures that way :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

… does he like stir fries? because this does not compute

2 Likes